Author Topic: Moving neighbourhood - Fridge stopped working  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
Moving neighbourhood - Fridge stopped working
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:02:42 AM »
I moved my household (after the game loaded not when prompted as per SimGuru advice) and now the Minus One Kelvin Fridge has rotten food.  All the perfect meals stored in it are now either Normal or Horryifying.  Any suggestions anyone?

Dellena

Re: Moving neighbourhood - Fridge stopped working
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 05:59:38 AM »
I think the food is a write off but I'd replace the fridge.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 08:46:33 PM »
I think the food is a write off but I'd replace the fridge.

I can't replace the fridge. It's the super fridge you get for completing the culinary career.  You don't get another fridge if you quit and then max the career again.  I'll try the move again with the fridge in my inventory and see if that fixes the problem.  By the way, the honey went to normal quality as well but the perfect fruit, eggs, cheese, herbs, coffees and veg stayed perfect.

Offline GoslettM

• Townie
  • Call me Marisha
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:45:53 AM »
If you get rid of the spoiled food is the fridge fine or not, if it’s fine then just cook perfect food again with your perfect fruits.  ;)

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:35:26 AM »
Thanks for your comments.  I redid the move emptying all of the food from the fridge and cooked new ambrosia and pancakes.  I put the super fridge in the inventory and put a generic fridge in the house.  On arrival in Island Paradise, the ambrosia was normal and the pancakes were horryifying quality.  I chucked them out.  Then I replaced the generic fridge with the super fridge from the inventory and made some new meals.  All cooked meals except the ambrosia turned bad after 3 days.  Every perfect meal turned to normal quality at 4:00 AM in the morning.  So it appears that the super fridge becomes an ordinary fridge if you move neighbourhoods. 

Has this happened to anybody else on the forum with the Minus One Kelvin fridge?

Dellena

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 05:57:50 AM »
Are you able to reset the fridge after the move?  Reset object

Offline Wai

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 07:24:30 AM »
You can replace the super fridge using cheats.  testingcheatsenabled true. [enter]  buydebug. [enter]. Then use the eyedropper to select the fridge for copying.  I don't know if your copy will still be bugged.  But, it is worth a try.  let us know if it works.

PS.  I would remove all prepared food from the fridge before trying this.
“In this world, there is nothing softer or thinner than water. But to compel the hard and unyielding, it has no equal. That the weak overcomes the strong, that the hard gives way to the gentle -- this everyone knows. Yet no one asks accordingly.”
 Lao-Tse

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 08:13:10 AM »
Banana Bender, I haven't tried moving neighbourhoods with the fridge, but I have a strange alternative that might work if copying the fridge like Wai suggests doesn't work.

You could try dropping a 10x10 lot into the old neighbourhood.  Have the family move there with the fridge, then place only the fridge on the lot.  Save the lot to the library without the family, so hopefully you'll have a mini-lot with a working fridge.  Don't worry about saving the family or the game or moving them from the mini-lot (feel free to load your 'just about to move' save).

Move the family to the new neighbourhood.  In edit town drop the 10x10 lot close enough to their new home that you can see the fridge.  Edit the house, and use the testingcheatsenabled method Wai mentions to copy the fridge from the little lot into your new home. 

Hopefully the game will see the mini-lot fridge as the shiny awesome fridge even if it thinks the old fridge is now a generic fridge. 

I haven't tried this before, but it's something I've been planning to do for my own game for ages so my sims don't always have to join the culinary career in order to keep their leftovers.  If you do resort to this method, please let me know if it works!

Dellena

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:17 AM »
I didn't think you could use the dropped on items not on your lot.

Offline Wai

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 11:50:31 AM »
Dellena,

Sorry I don't understand "not your lot".  Where is your sim?  You can use the eyedropper on Resort lots and on any community lot which you have purchased and are upgrading.  Most items are available under buydebug too, but not the special fridge.  That is why you need to copy it using the eye dropper.

Some items are not permitted on community lots, for example, a cooker.  And, some items are not permitted on home lots (sorry can't think of an example).  However, the fridge is allowed on community lots, so you should be able to copy it there.  However, on a community lot the fridge is not available for all interactions.  Items not allowed will automatically be removed when you return from edit to game mode.

Also, as Vinyl says, you can also make a copy of this fridge by copying the house which contains it.  Go back to your save prior to moving.  Move the family out and then copy the house to the bin.  This should remove all fridge contents except the basics which come when you buy a new fridge.  The bin house will then be available for placing in any town and the fridge should retain it's properties. Don't save the game after moving the lot to the bin.

My sim has several of these fridges (naughty, naughty:)).  One in each of her WA homes and one for her resort which I am just about to start.
“In this world, there is nothing softer or thinner than water. But to compel the hard and unyielding, it has no equal. That the weak overcomes the strong, that the hard gives way to the gentle -- this everyone knows. Yet no one asks accordingly.”
 Lao-Tse

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
Dellana, as long as you can see the item that isn't on the lot being edited you can use testingcheatsenabled to copy it.  It's how I managed to place stoves into a foreign base camp (this post details the steps I used).

Wai, I'm happy to hear the fridges can be saved as part of houses and they'll work when placed in a new world! 

Offline Wai

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »
Vinyl,

There is another nice little trick you might like to try.  If you have a sim family you no longer want to play with which has the fridge.  First evict all sims but one.  Go into the home remove all prepared food from the fridge. (You may want to go to the town hall to change the sim's name to something appropriate, or obvious (Icy Cook, perhaps) Place the fridge in the inventory and then delete all the house contents.  (I don't want to give you ideas :) but the inventory can carry a great deal more than the fridge!).  Exit to edit town mode.  Evict the sim.  Copy to Bin.  Use the cheats mode to reduce household funds to $0.  Now, you can combine this sim with any household and immediately evict them.!  They will leave the fridge behind in the inventory.  But not change the household funds at the same time.  Have fun.  I keep one of these sims around just in case I get a problem like Dellena's.
 Lao-Tse

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »
Thanks for all your ideas forum.  I'll try them and see which one works best for me.  I'm not the most skilled simmer here so it will take some time.  Also for me the winter holidays are over, so it's back to the grindstone.  Again thank you all for your suggestions.

anything