Author Topic: Can't Use Cheats Code  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Can't Use Cheats Code
« on: June 17, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »
Hi all.  Ok, here's what happens:

First of all, I'm in Shang Simla so that might be part of my problem.  I get the console bar up and if I wanted to could type in motherlode and get cash.  I don't.  I just want to figure out how to use the other cheats just so I can if I ever want to.

So, console is up.  I type in testingcheatsenabled true, and hit enter.  It disappears.  What am I doing wrong and what would I do next to make it work?  I've tried different ways also, like testingCheatsEnabled true but so far it all goes away the minute I hit enter.  
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: can't use cheats code
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 06:55:26 PM »
The cheat bar is suppose to go away and depending on what you are going to do, it works.  To see if it works, try shift click on mailbox, if you get all those options, like needs static, make friends, etc, then it works.  It is not suppose to stay there.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 07:08:28 PM »
You can also shift click on a sim, and then the menu comes up with different options.

The only time I ever use testingcheatsenabled true is when the bug happens where they age up without getting a trait, you can use that cheat to add whatever trait you like or change their traits.

Be sure to do testingcheatsenabled false to turn it off when you're done.  I've heard of odd things happening if you leave it on all the time.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 07:31:07 PM »
Be sure to do testingcheatsenabled false to turn it off when you're done.  I've heard of odd things happening if you leave it on all the time.
I always play with it on all the time. Maybe it can vary from computer to computer, but it's not like boolProp TestingCheatsEnabled true from Sims 2, which could break your game if it was on for too long. I've never had any problem with it on Sims 3, it's a much weaker tool than it was on Sims 2.
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
Re: Can't Use Cheats Code
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 10:55:24 PM »
From the minute I get the main menu to the minute I quit the game it's on and I've never had any problems either!

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 11:03:09 PM »
I leave it on too.  I have never had a problem either.  The other ones, I don't think I would be so quick to leave on, but I use testingcheats so much, might as well.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »
Nope.  Didn't work.  Tried typing it in again and left clicked on the mailbox. Zippo, zilch, nothing.  If I left click the mailbox I get nothing and if I click on a Sim I get the things they would normally do, sleep, meditate, whatever.  Could this be an issue with Windows 7?

I found the old thread about this and tried typing in the console thingie while the game load thing was on.  That didn't work.  Then the game was there, all nicely clicked of course, so that didn't work either.

What I'm doing is typing in testingcheatsenabled true.  As I said, the bar goes away.  I then tried the left click on mail box and got nothing except check for adventures, (I'm in Shang Simla), but nothing remotely resembling a cheat.  So I went to a Sim, typed again, clicked on the Sim and nothing.  This is with going into the game via the launcher just normally.  I haven't tried going in as administrator.

----------
My No Buy Story

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 11:26:11 PM »
Are you holding the Ctrl + Shift keys down while doing the left click on the mailbox or the Sim?  If you aren't, then it will seem like it is not on.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »
Mmmm, no.  Ok, going to try that.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 11:30:56 PM »
Yay!  Thank you.  It's always the simple little things you forgot to do. 

Question: do I have to be in build/buy mode to use buydebug?  Because you can't do that on vacation unless you are in edit town mode.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 11:32:51 PM »
Yes you have to be in build/buy mode to use buydebug.  I am very glad testingcheatsenabled true is working for you now!

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 04:46:27 AM »
And also for the record, many people forget that testingcheatsenabled must be true when you type buyDebug on.
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.