Author Topic: Human training advice needed for improved sims control please.  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
  • Closest possible to real me!
That title says it really.  I haven't been playing sims long. I did ok with a single sim, but struggled with a couple. I don't have a clue how to split my time between them and what to set free-will to for it to be simpler to cope with?  Then Pets came out and I got ambitious and went for a horse ranch. Suddenly I had 4 sims [3 are horses] and found I'm struggling and sinking.

So what I want really is advice on easy steps to train myself. So I can make gradual and less stressful progress towards going back to the ranch and managing it well next time.  Taking into account that my very first try of sims was with sims3 and only 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Thanks in advance.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
Re: Human training advice needed for improved sims control please.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 02:40:23 PM »
Hi Lesley,

You might want to take a look at this thread. Someone else was having trouble handling the many aspects of the game at once, and I think this thread might help you some, even though it's not specifically about horses.

Also MaryMarsh has her own thread about her horse ranch. I'll admit I haven't read through it all, but I'm sure there's some helpful information there.

Hope this helps you!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 03:00:19 PM »
The second link I've been on several times daily reading and adding to and that's where I realised I really need to go back to basics and learn more about the game before I next try ranching. I just don't have the skill/knowledge to handle it properly yet.

The first link looks like it could help me so i'm off to read that now, thank you  :)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 03:28:29 PM »
I've been playing Sims since the Sims 1 base game hit the shelves.  Despite the fact that I've been playing a very looooooong time, I do remember what you are going through because I went through the same thing then, and again to some extent when Sims 2 and Sims 3 came out.  So I'll help you out by giving a few observances I've made before getting to any real tips:

The Sims has always had a decent AI, and it has only improved with each new version.  It's been called a "virtual doll house" and I don't take any particular issue with the analogy.  It's easy enough to see the similarities.  The biggest difference is that the "dolls" are smart.  The Sims 3 AI is obviously the most intricate one to date:  they not only have needs, they have desires.  They want things, be it a piece of furniture or an interaction with a specific person (they even have a disposition for gender preference...while it's almost always "neutral," after you've played a while you'll notice that certain Sims will appear to be attracted much more to the same gender).  While they always have had wants to some extent, the Sims in Sims 3 are far more motivated by them.

As such, I tend to think of my Sims as real people.  Virtual people, yes...but real none the less.  My responsibility as a player is to make sure that my Sims are happy, successful and safe.  I am their conscience, and nothing more.  I'm that little voice in their pixelated heads that says "You would do better in your professional sports career if you were a bit more athletic than you are, so get your lazy behind off the couch and hit the weights."

But even with this attitude, managing a large family can end up being a bit of work.  The simplest advice is:  pause and cue.  The easiest way to deal with a large group of Sims is to pause the game, go to each one and assess what they need to do, and cue up the necessary actions before going on to the next one.  Once they're all done, unpause and let them go at it.  Try to manage it live for a bit, but when things seem to be getting out of control, pause and cue again.

If there's a Sim that doesn't really need to be doing something (i.e. they don't require immediate training or have needs that are low), you don't really need really to be all that concerned about telling them what to be doing.  In those cases, just let them do whatever they want to do.  Try to think of yourself as a guide rather than a puppeteer.  Let them live their virtual lives while you help them to become successful at whatever they do by nudging them in the right direction when they need it.

I am of the opinion that free will is always best if set to high.  If you have a bunch of actions cued up and a need starts to get critically low, they will insert an action immediately after their current action to fulfill that need, usually without dropping the rest of the cue.  With free will set on high, you won't have to worry about Sims peeing on themselves or starving to death since they'll take care of these things themselves long before they get to that point.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 04:26:52 PM »
One thing I learned only a couple of weeks ago is that you can click on their moodlets for hunger, sleep, shower, etc, and the Sim will go and take care of that. This is great for when you're conducting a romantic encounter with one Sim on the opposite side of town from the other. You don't have to click on the fridge or shower.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

VampirePlasma

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 05:11:22 PM »
I've been playing Sims since the Sims 1 base game hit the shelves.  Despite the fact that I've been playing a very looooooong time, I do remember what you are going through because I went through the same thing then, and again to some extent when Sims 2 and Sims 3 came out.  So I'll help you out by giving a few observances I've made before getting to any real tips:

The Sims has always had a decent AI, and it has only improved with each new version.  It's been called a "virtual doll house" and I don't take any particular issue with the analogy.  It's easy enough to see the similarities.  The biggest difference is that the "dolls" are smart.  The Sims 3 AI is obviously the most intricate one to date:  they not only have needs, they have desires.  They want things, be it a piece of furniture or an interaction with a specific person (they even have a disposition for gender preference...while it's almost always "neutral," after you've played a while you'll notice that certain Sims will appear to be attracted much more to the same gender).  While they always have had wants to some extent, the Sims in Sims 3 are far more motivated by them.

As such, I tend to think of my Sims as real people.  Virtual people, yes...but real none the less.  My responsibility as a player is to make sure that my Sims are happy, successful and safe.  I am their conscience, and nothing more.  I'm that little voice in their pixelated heads that says "You would do better in your professional sports career if you were a bit more athletic than you are, so get your lazy behind off the couch and hit the weights."

But even with this attitude, managing a large family can end up being a bit of work.  The simplest advice is:  pause and cue.  The easiest way to deal with a large group of Sims is to pause the game, go to each one and assess what they need to do, and cue up the necessary actions before going on to the next one.  Once they're all done, unpause and let them go at it.  Try to manage it live for a bit, but when things seem to be getting out of control, pause and cue again.

If there's a Sim that doesn't really need to be doing something (i.e. they don't require immediate training or have needs that are low), you don't really need really to be all that concerned about telling them what to be doing.  In those cases, just let them do whatever they want to do.  Try to think of yourself as a guide rather than a puppeteer.  Let them live their virtual lives while you help them to become successful at whatever they do by nudging them in the right direction when they need it.

I am of the opinion that free will is always best if set to high.  If you have a bunch of actions cued up and a need starts to get critically low, they will insert an action immediately after their current action to fulfill that need, usually without dropping the rest of the cue.  With free will set on high, you won't have to worry about Sims peeing on themselves or starving to death since they'll take care of these things themselves long before they get to that point.
Well said.
Adding to this, start with one single sim, and work on this. Get married, have a child or two, maybe 4 (just kidding.) And live their lives out. It gets easier once your get to practice it. This is how I learned and still learning.

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 05:31:13 PM »
Biggest bombshell here is the ability que things while in pause mode.  I had no idea that was possible. What a revelation and huge help.  I've gone back to basics but in the new setting.

Single sim, Appaloosa plains, small simple house that's well dressed via colour palatte. She's just got a job and adopted a kitten.  So 2 sims and this time I'm not going to back out, i'm going to play it out properly. More importantly I'm going to que! I always thought adding an action would cancel the previous one but, eye-opener, it doesn't.  Looking forward to getting home from work tomorrow now to get a good start on playing Rona, my sim.  [now bedtime for me, UK]

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.