Author Topic: Starting a hood from scratch - advice please!  (Read 4041 times)

Shnorlick

Starting a hood from scratch - advice please!
« on: June 11, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »
Hi,
I would like to start a neighbourhood from scratch but I don't
want to use create a world. If I delete all the lots from, say Sunset
Valley and then add my own, will I still get things like townie celebrities?
Or, is there an easier way to start from scratch?
I have all the expansions. Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Thankyou.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Starting a hood from scratch - advice please!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 12:46:01 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Shnorlick!  :)

You can bulldoze all the Lots and do a rebuild if you want but it is a very long process and I consider it pointless. Story Progression exists in all Games and will produce every Townie, NPC and etc. you will need. It generates Celebrities and Vampires randomly and keeps a overly healthy population of both. If you want to include all the Expansions Added Content to Sunset Valley then Naga has done exactly what you are talking of except he has just made room for the new stuff and moved others around. It has the same Households and Buildings I think, I keep meaning to have a look at it and will be trying it this weekend hopefully. I'll link to it below:

http://www.carls-sims-3-forum.com/index.php/topic,3159.0.html
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Shnorlick

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
Ahhh, thankyou so much, that is just the kind of thing I was after. Downloading now :)

Shnorlick

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:32:25 PM »
Something went wrong as although the hood did load up, it crashed when going
back to the main menu.
I think I will just delete stuff myself, I agree that it is kind of pointless
but I suppose I'm kind of picky and I want rid of all the ugly EA stuff!

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:03:27 AM »
Are you certain that the crash was related to the town, and not simply a coincidence?  I've used that town numerous times without issue.

But, I understand why you would want to do that, and I don't really see it as pointless.  It would be like playing a completely new town.  I've been considering trying a town where I delete all the townies and let story progression fill it up, although I don't think I'd have the patience to demolish all the houses and replace them with different houses.

But, yes:  story progression will not only fill the town with townies, but you'll have celebrities (of 2-3 stars) and vampires in no time.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »
Shnorlick, I do this all the time and I have a very good time doing it. Right now I'm redoing SV...again. My front street along the beach is going to be filled with real beach front looking houses and seedy dive bars. Sometimes I delete townies and fill them with my CAS Sims, sometimes not. This time around I've put the townies I don't like to play into houses I never play so that will take care of them. One thing I do is to save lots I like from other towns. In this version of SV I deleted the big park and replaced it with the big park from Bridgeport. I did that one because it has a food truck space. Then I went in and added a new play area, a pond, a picnic area and a wedding area.  I added all the new home lots from Generations. I bulldozed the Landgrabb and Alto mansions then replaced them with a shopping area. I now have the circle filled with the movie studio,the stadium and the shopping plaza. I bulldozed the pond area and put other shops in there. The school is now located where the stadium used to be and I was able to enlarge and improve the playground area.

One piece of advice. Work on your town a bit at a time and keep a separate saved game for actual game play for when you do want to play. I found that it keeps me from wanting to rush my town. When my ideas are a little slow in coming I open the saved game and play. Eventually I'll go back to my town in progress with new ideas.

Remember, have fun and if it doesn't go the way you want the first time, well, just delete it and start again.

Shnorlick

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 02:35:02 PM »
Whoo hoo, all sorted!
I downloaded a really lovely flat world....I think it's called 'poker flats' ? Anyway, it's just prefect and I've been on a mass downloading spree for hours and now it's looking fantastic - I am well chuffed!
Thanks everyone :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything