Author Topic: Paying through the nose for apt. rent in Barnacle Bay  (Read 3764 times)

Offline ejnarts1

• Townie
Paying through the nose for apt. rent in Barnacle Bay
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »
I remodeled the "Angler Apartments" from Barnacle Bay. My Sim is living in one of the small-very small, studio apt. I created. I've checked, double checked and triple checked all the "marker" placements. They're all fine. But, for some reason, my sim is paying over $1800 simoleons for bills twice a week.

He's not that rich-wasn't that rich (the mysterious influx of cash that I seem to get now and again...celebrity I guess, solved that). But, this was also before when he was just plain dirt poor. Does anyone have any idea why? I've checked all my mods..with and without them...still the same $1800+ bills.

I tried after I realized I needed to set the front of lot and remembered to set the front door. I did remodel all of the other apts., but, as I said, all the markers (hidden and/or public) are appropriately placed. Though, I'm thinking for whatever freak reason, that may have something to do with it. Though, I believe, others have done the same without being overcharged =)

If anyone has ANY ideas I'm grateful. Thanks.

This is the apt:

Offline TallStar

• Immortal
Re: Paying through the nose for apt. rent in Barnacle Bay
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:22:36 PM »
The bills are also a result of how much furniture you own. If you own a lot of furntiure no matter how expensive, those bills rack up.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ejnarts1

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:02:46 PM »
Yeah, I realize that, which makes me think that the markers aren't covering up the furniture from the other apts. I decorated. I suppose I should try an experiment; get rid of the other apt's furniture-delete it, and see if that lowers the price. Thanks.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:25:02 PM »
The bills seem to be calculated from the price of the entire apartment building, markers or not. I ran into the same problem when I converted the bar in Twinbrook into an apartment building. It does make sense (eg. you'd pay more for an apartment with a swimming pool than one without one), but it's still annoying. Like you've suggested, I would completely empty the other apartments of furnishings and cover them up with hidden room markers.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »
If that's the apartment building after you've placed the markers, then the markers definitely aren't right.  You can't see inside the NPC apartments through the windows, as they're blacked out.  Likewise, furniture outside the living area will not count towards rent after placing the public area markers.  You have to place them outdoors and inside any completely fenced in area as well, since those areas count as a separate room.  However, I don't know what effect furnishings in NPC apartments would have, since I've never furnished them or converted an existing, furnished structure into an apartment building.

If that's the apartment before placing markers, perhaps if you posted some top view buy mode images (with the building cheats enabled) I could see if I can find what's wrong.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline ejnarts1

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
Well, according to the tests I've done, after deleting all furnishings in the NPC apts, save windows, the price dropped by half. The first time bill was $648 on a $13K apt...ridiculous, but that pretty much tells me what the problem was. Though...no idea why it's still so high. I can't imagine I have thousands in windows.

So, the "hidden" markers don't mask the cost of whatever they mark as the "public" ones do. You'd think they would. I'm calling my remodel a successful failure. It works as an apt. building, but any Sim starting out will go broke having to pay those bills.

anything