Author Topic: New Year's Resolutions  (Read 8367 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2024, 06:43:50 AM »
This challenge is now closed.

12 participants dove into New Year's Resolutions to kick off the forum's 15th Tournament season. As she did last year by winning 23 Upgrades for '23, team member @mismck starts 2024 with a nice win. Congratulations! Speaking of team members, I like to give credit where credit is due, so thank you to @sone for putting this event together. Another note: @Teresa has chosen to leave the team. So a big thanks to her for all her hard work.

Everyone is now free to discuss how they tackled this first challenge.

Online mismck

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Townie
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2024, 06:48:26 AM »
I hadn’t played with Resolutions in a while, so it was fun to do that again. I created a household of 8 to start with and moved them onto the Bargain Bend empty lot in Willow Creek. I threw down beds and an outhouse and mostly left them alone except to order a pizza Sunday night for the ones who didn’t get any fruitcake from the Welcome Wagon.

When the Holiday started Monday morning at 6:00 AM, I paused the game and got to work. I assigned Resolutions to all 214 resolution-eligible Sims in residence in all my Worlds. (The Rasoyas had autonomously moved out and 5 separate Sims had autonomously moved into empty houses.) All of the Children were assigned “Raise a Skill” and everyone else was assigned “Complete an Aspiration Milestone.” In-game time does not need to run for a Resolution to post to a Sim. I wasted some time in the beginning letting time run to wait for the Resolution to post to the Notification Wall. Instead, I finally figured out that I just had to check the Simology tab for confirmation. At 6:56 AM Monday all 214 Resolutions had been assigned.

I started by playing all households without any children or teens. Keeping the game paused as much as possible, I worked through each household completing the Resolutions. There are 4 Aspiration Milestones that can be completed without in-game time running: Readily a Parent (from Big Happy Family, Successful Lineage, and Super Parent), Going for Not Broke (from Fabulously Wealthy), Estate of the Art (from Mansion Baron), and Get Accepted (from Leader of the Pack). All that typically needs to happen is buy kids stuff, buy artwork, or create a club & buy a club perk. Once all of the adult-only households were done at 7:10 AM Monday, I moved on to the remaining households without any children. At 7:14 AM I started playing the remaining households that had children. There are no child aspirations that can be done without time passing. Time must pass for them to gain a skill point or complete an Aspiration Milestone. At 11:32 PM Monday I had made it to Evergreen Harbor. I blasted through all of the Teens and older in all the remaining households in the remaining Worlds. Then I continued focusing on children.

At midnight, the game sort of resets and you can assign another Resolution to anyone that has already completed one. So, at 12:05 AM Tuesday, I paused the game and went back through all of the Sims that had completed Resolutions and assigned them all another Resolution. When I could, I completed Resolutions as I assigned them (only if they could be completed while paused).

At 12:36 AM all Resolutions had once again been assigned and I tried to get the two children in the Akiyami household to complete their first Resolutions so I could assign another before the holiday ended at 2:00 AM - one succeeded and one did not. At 2:00 AM Tuesday, I had 32 assigned Resolutions left to finish and at 6:23 PM Wednesday all 415 assigned Resolutions were complete.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2024, 07:28:58 AM »
that's genius @mismck , I vaguely remembered being able to get sims to make a second resolution but when it didn't work this game I figured I remembered wrong.

My score represented the total number of sims child age and up that I thought were in the game but I missed eight in Tomarang as haven't played the pack yet, wasn't sure if there was time to age up toddlers but there would have been with a single resolution cycle. I accidentally clicked get better grades for Sidney Price so he didn't complete a resolution but Felix Psyded had moved into an empty home to replace him.

The most annoying part was the slowness of children compared to adults. Particularly Orange Bailey-Moon because he got distracted by Thorne setting fire to the place directly after he completed his resolution. The quickest resolution for me with children was Aspiration Milestone for Rambunctious Scamp as they can (usually) get playful quickly via TV then play on a nearby jungle gym, though sometimes it's difficult to guarantee emotions. Of course I only realised this after I had ascribed skill gain to most of them. [edit] I was entirely unaware/ had forgotten that children could gain Vampire Lore skill which @SueDenim pointed out - as always I learn so much in these challenges.

This was a fun one.

Online SueDenim

• Townie
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2024, 10:24:21 AM »
I had a similar strategy, but nowhere near as efficient.
I eventually found that the fastest skill for children to gain was vampire knowledge.  (Actually, a large number of the sims in that save have vampire knowledge now.)  Everything else just took so very, very long.

Also, I put that stupid elephant painting everywhere.

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2024, 03:45:15 PM »
Nice strategy @mismck ! I didn't realize that it was possible to make a second resolution after midnight.

Apart from that, my strategy is quite the same, with "complete an aspiration milestone" for all teens and older and "raise a skill" for children.
All the sims in my game managed to complete one resolution (except babies and toddlers of course).

After assigning resolutions to my 8 starting sims and to all the premade sims living in houses, I put all the homeless households that are in "manage households" menu in homes and assigned resolutions to them too, which increased a bit the score.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2024, 05:13:14 PM »
This is the first challenge I have done for many years, someone talked me into it, won't name names, Metro. lol  I don't think I thought it through enough and ended up with very few resolutions.  I was fun, but very hard to play a vanilla game.  I will probably do more, when the right one comes along.  Good job mismck.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline axxxel

• Nooboo
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2024, 03:17:31 AM »
I hadn’t played with Resolutions in a while, so it was fun to do that again. I created a household of 8 to start with and moved them onto the Bargain Bend empty lot in Willow Creek. I threw down beds and an outhouse and mostly left them alone except to order a pizza Sunday night for the ones who didn’t get any fruitcake from the Welcome Wagon.

When the Holiday started Monday morning at 6:00 AM, I paused the game and got to work. I assigned Resolutions to all 214 resolution-eligible Sims in residence in all my Worlds. (The Rasoyas had autonomously moved out and 5 separate Sims had autonomously moved into empty houses.) All of the Children were assigned “Raise a Skill” and everyone else was assigned “Complete an Aspiration Milestone.” In-game time does not need to run for a Resolution to post to a Sim. I wasted some time in the beginning letting time run to wait for the Resolution to post to the Notification Wall. Instead, I finally figured out that I just had to check the Simology tab for confirmation. At 6:56 AM Monday all 214 Resolutions had been assigned.

I started by playing all households without any children or teens. Keeping the game paused as much as possible, I worked through each household completing the Resolutions. There are 4 Aspiration Milestones that can be completed without in-game time running: Readily a Parent (from Big Happy Family, Successful Lineage, and Super Parent), Going for Not Broke (from Fabulously Wealthy), Estate of the Art (from Mansion Baron), and Get Accepted (from Leader of the Pack). All that typically needs to happen is buy kids stuff, buy artwork, or create a club & buy a club perk. Once all of the adult-only households were done at 7:10 AM Monday, I moved on to the remaining households without any children. At 7:14 AM I started playing the remaining households that had children. There are no child aspirations that can be done without time passing. Time must pass for them to gain a skill point or complete an Aspiration Milestone. At 11:32 PM Monday I had made it to Evergreen Harbor. I blasted through all of the Teens and older in all the remaining households in the remaining Worlds. Then I continued focusing on children. It's funny, the kids were writing essay examples about heroes. It struck me as odd, and I recalled myself as a child, loving to use https://papersowl.com/examples/hero/ and confidently walking into school, knowing my essay was the best. Sometimes I wonder why the game doesn't have such services.

At midnight, the game sort of resets and you can assign another Resolution to anyone that has already completed one. So, at 12:05 AM Tuesday, I paused the game and went back through all of the Sims that had completed Resolutions and assigned them all another Resolution. When I could, I completed Resolutions as I assigned them (only if they could be completed while paused).

At 12:36 AM all Resolutions had once again been assigned and I tried to get the two children in the Akiyami household to complete their first Resolutions so I could assign another before the holiday ended at 2:00 AM - one succeeded and one did not. At 2:00 AM Tuesday, I had 32 assigned Resolutions left to finish and at 6:23 PM Wednesday all 415 assigned Resolutions were complete.
Thanks for sharing. I never would have thought it's possible to efficiently utilize time and game resources to complete as many tasks as possible in such a short period. I dream of being as cool as you.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything