Author Topic: Summertime Speed Demons  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Summertime Speed Demons
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2023, 05:21:04 AM »
This challenge is now closed.

After @Vesper posted her score, I thought, "Okay, no one is going to beat that. There's another W for her." But, @Nandarelle came in yesterday and threw down an even better score. Great job to both of you. You really distanced yourself from everyone else.

What a fun event. And a nice creative twist to our standard skilling events with the occult life stages. My thanks to team member @mismck for putting this one together. Everyone is now free to discuss their strategy.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2023, 06:54:00 AM »
this one was so much fun! I was worried it might be a grind but the sheer variety in skills meant it wasn't a problem.

Congrats to Nandarelle! I'm desperate to find out what five level skill I missed, thought I'd maxed everything available to me except for parenting which wasn't possible.

I'll let Nandarelle talk strategy as the winner. Just want to note Rainbow Dash's winning strategy from The Dynamic Skilling Duo https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=30665.0 which was very useful. A major insight was to use autumn/winter in forgotten hollow so that Vlad didn't burn up immediately during daytime - this was one of my biggest concerns because I often forget the time and send vampires outside by accident.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2023, 04:23:46 PM »
Thank you, challenge team for the wonderful challenge once again!
I was wondering if I had enough time to play the full 2 Sims weeks, and I did. And I still had a full 7 seconds left to midnight when I posted my score.

The other thing I was wondering is whether moving in someone extra would be the better strategy or not. And that remains unanswered, since the difference between me and Vesper is so small.

Skills: there are 48 (adult) skills in this game, but I don't have the paranormal pack, so that leaves me with 47. And I did do parenting, see below.

Setup:
The gang very briefly lived in a big house for mansion baron points, and then moved to an empty lot, where I built my vampire skilling special: a tiny house, for the bonuses, with a gigantic roof, so that Vlad and my vampiric starting Sim Maxime were almost always covered. The lot traits were Study Spot, and then whatever two traits were most helpful for what they were doing. Focused skills were studied on one site of the house, and creative skills at the other, with a "mood lamp" placed near it. (Other skills were sort of all over.)
Maxime and Kris joined the Good Timers for Rally the Troops (mostly for Kris - vampires only need sleep if they use their powers), and when Maxime had taken it over, Vlad joined as well. I placed a darts board, so the out-of-household club members could rake in points. Mostly the club activities were bar games, dancing, being friendly, and then occasionally a skill - but I didn't want everyone to swarm the piano, so I used skilling as a club activity sparingly. I'm not sure that was the right call, because we didn't rake in points that quickly. Club bonuses for skills were bought as soon as the points were available.
Everyone cycled through some aspirations (money, vampire lore, other skills) so that they could buy Morning Sim, Night Owl, and Savant as soon as possible.
With the boosts from the tiny home, and the emotional aura lamps, everyone was mostly in the correct 'very' mood without extra effort from me. Sometimes chess moves were pondered and clouds or stars were gazed at. Vlad did drink a potion of reconfiguration so that he could influence emotions, but he didn't end up using it very much (and it only affects the others, not himself).
Finally, Maxime had the Overachiever trait, which made her skill up noticeably faster than the others, although it did give a lot of unwanted energized moodlets.

Needs: apart from Rally the Troops, I made lots of use of the crystal crown as well, for hygiene, social and vampiric thirst. There are also crystals that boost Logic and Archeology skill gain.
The vampires were pretty much fine with this set up. Kris on the other hand, did go on a rampage twice. The first time he was able to regain himself right away, but the second time that failed, so I lost him for a few hours, while everyone else wanted to run away.

I first focused on getting every skill maxed once. This took about 8-9 days. After that I aimed at level 5 for every duplicate skill, with some exceptions (of course, I didn't get there all the way).

Skilling was mostly just 'do the thing', but also:

- Violin, Piano, Guitar, and Fitness were all mentored by either a hired nanny (later invited to the club) or a gym teacher.
- Archeology, Herbalism were leveled by reading books and finishing with skill classes.
- Parenting: Kris starts with some skill, and he was able to raise it further with books and skill classes.
- Selvadoradian culture and animal training were completely done with skill classes
- Entrepreneurial skill: Maxime maxed this by selling her paintings and books
- Skiing, snowboarding, and climbing: club trips to Mt Komorebi during the night (for the vampires). I made sure to have the club boosts for these, since they didn't have the tiny house boost.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2023, 07:30:07 PM »
thanks @Nandarelle for detailing your strategy. I didn't realise you could max skills by taking classes! This is useful to know. Using the overachiever trait is also something I didn't think of.

Otherwise my strategy was fairly similar except I married Simeon Silversweater to move him into the house as he has three skills at level eight and is a quick learner. I also skilled a lot by reading. One thing I found is that with speed reading as well as all the skill boosts from savant etc, and club perks, it was possible to max a skill with the third skill book which is supposed to take you to level nine. Fitness was gained by using Dream big on the basketball hoop which is very quick.

I did some sums after I finished to see if I'd have got a better score with three Sims only and it would likely have been a bit higher. But I wasn't confident that I could max all the skills in time with three and am sure it was less stressful (for me) with four.

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2023, 07:52:36 AM »
Really great strategies @Nandarelle and @Vesper !