Author Topic: Problem with renovating a house (Solved)  (Read 1227 times)

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
Problem with renovating a house (Solved)
« on: June 05, 2023, 03:49:08 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm not here so often but today I did came back with a problem I discovered during one of my (rare9 TS3 play sessions. Unfortunately I do not have any pics but I will try to explain as good as possible.

I do play in a custom world and I have a family living in a two story house that is a little different. The only way to move between the floors is by a stair on the outside of the house. Very inconvenient and I have tried to fix this by adding a spiral stair on the inside but  the game wont let me. Either the stair clash with other objects or the game claims that "a standard height" is needed. um... what?  ??? I did try to build walls around the regular stair but the game just complains about the area "being covered by floor tiles". And I can not build walls like I want. *Angry player noises* . A stair like this would be ideal:

(Source: Kotaku.com)

But it's not possible to create a stair like that in TS3, only in TS4. So what to do? I do not know what cheats were used when creating the lot/house but I did try using both "Moveobjecs" and "Testingcheatsenabled" without any success.

Unpopular opinion: I like the Sims 4

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Problem with renovating a house
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 04:11:51 PM »
Here are some tutorials and how-tos on creating stairs. Hopefully this will help with renovating your house.

The Sims 3 Building Tutorials: Stairs
https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/buildedit/houses/multilevel/stairs.php

The Sims 3 Building Tips - U and L Shaped Stairs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzCL0CSfP5o

Split Levels • The Sims 3 Building Basics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvk7_DMjOCc
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 01:38:24 PM »
I pmed ModHunter and asked for some more details. And found that the house they are/were trying to renovate is a house originally from Island Paradise that was renovated by the person who put together the save file.

Here's the information of the original house:

Fiesta House – 1br, 2ba
Address: 78 Civic Center
Lot size: 20x15
Occupied by: Senorita Hernandez
Lot description: Life's a party when you reside in this colorful home!

----

I jumped in-game to see if I could edit the house both in Island Paradise and in a copy of the save file ModHunter is playing in.

I'm unable to edit the house. Regardless if I try pulling the walls out on the kitchen side or build by drawing out the walls on the kitchen side.

The errors that I get are - Requires Standard Level Height when trying to place a spiral stair case by the front entrance. I also get the error Covered by Floor Tile when trying to build walls on the kitchen side of the house when trying to make room for the stair case.

I searched out the errors that I got and one of the search results said to try using CFE false (constrainfloorelevation false) to place the stairs. I did try it, but it didn't help. It still gave me both errors.

It might be best to try to rebuild the house. It seems like it was built with build cheats that we players don't have access to.

The thread I'm linking to below talks about houses in Barnacle Bay, but could also be true for houses built for Island Paradise. In that they were houses built with build cheats we players don't have access to and that's why we can't fix some EA builds.

Cannot Place Stairs or Basements
https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/389408

I am sharing my notes on this just in case someone else comes across this and has the same issue of not being able to edit some EA built houses.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 11:47:42 AM »
A huge thank you to MrsFlynn who took the time and helped me investigate this problem.  :)  I did suspect that there were something "special" about the building and that some cheats or mods were used while creating it. And as she did get the exact same I now can relax and know that my game is OK. Thank you! Thread solved.
Unpopular opinion: I like the Sims 4

anything