Author Topic: Question on Origin and the EA app  (Read 1530 times)

Offline BonnieLM77

• Llama Wrangler
Question on Origin and the EA app
« on: May 08, 2023, 04:35:14 PM »
Hi I just downloaded and installed the new EA app (I don't use it run my game-I run it off the disk-I just use the EA app for Simpoints) and updated but I noticed that it didn't uninstall Origin even though it said it was, I'm just wondering if I should just uninstall Origin from my programs and features to keep it conflicting with the EA app, and also I was thinking about finally getting the stuff packs 70's 80's and 90's stuff and Movie stuff installed, I currently run Seasons but would I need to then install University, Island Paradise and Into the Future or can I get away with just installing University-the last time I tried installing both University and Island Paradise, I clicked on the upgrade to patch 1.69 and it wanted me to only run the game through Origin after that so I would up uninstalling everything and re-installing all EP's and SP's up to Seasons and using the superpatcher, just wanted some advice, and also before I upgrade should I click Run without custom content though the launcher? Thanks for any advice.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Question on Origin and the EA app
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 04:58:08 PM »
When installing the EA App, it will uninstall Origin automatically. Not sure why, it just does it. If you want you can check Programs and Features to see if it's fully uninstalled, if not then you can finish uninstalling it.

You should be able to install what packs you want.  However depending on what your install is (Disc/Steam or Origin/EA App) you may either get prompted to install the packs you didn't previously install or they may get installed automatically.

If your install is Origin/EA App there is no need for the Superpatch, as Origin/EA has it's own patching system and will automatically update your install to 1.69.

You can click run without custom content via the Sims 3 launcher. If you start a new save things should be fine. If you open a previous save, items maybe replaced.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline BonnieLM77

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 08:04:53 AM »
I use the disks, and I currently have all EP's and SP's up until Seasons installed in order, the only ones I don't have installed are 70's, 80's and 90's stuff, University, Island Paradise, Movie Stuff and Into the Future. I want to install Movie stuff as it has the stuff for horror movies-which I want to use for a gothic themed family, but since it is a later stuff pack and I'm only running up to Seasons, I was concerned that it would want a later expansion pack installed-so I was thinking of installing University. I also wanted to make sure that the EA app and Origin aren't going to conflict with each other, but I might just uninstall it after I get the two stuff packs and University installed and if it installs it again after I install Island Paradise-then I will just uninstall it again-I only run the EA app to get Simpoints to get the last few things from the store I that I don't have yet.

And also I read somewhere it's a good idea to disable your custom content before upgrading and then enable it again. Also the last time I tried installing all of the expansion packs up to Island Paradise, Origin kept coming up with a message to update to 1.69, which I did, and then it wanted me to solely play through Origin-which I didn't like, so I did an uninstall and re-install of everything and left the game packs only installed up to Seasons.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 10:13:00 AM »
Sorry for any miss-understandings. :)

If you've got the 2009 disc version of Sims 3, you should be able to say no to Origin/EA game client. I did when I installed it via disc. I had no problems installing. I have no problems playing either.

I did use the superpatch. Installed that right after the base game disc to update it to 1.67. Saying no to Origin each time it asked.

Since it's a disc install and it sounds like you've already used the superpatch? If yes, you should be able to install the packs you want.

Definitely uninstall Origin/EA App until later, It's definitely not needed for a full-disc install. However, If you use Origin/EA App for any other games, turn off game updates so the app doesn't try to take over the Sims 3 install.

I found this post from Igazor awhile back that might be a helpful read.

For an ALL disc install, provided that the base game disc was manufactured before Sept 2012:
https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16048071/#Comment_16048071
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline BonnieLM77

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 04:59:30 PM »
ok, thank you! I was thinking about it and decided to wait until the next time I decide to clean out all my cc by yanking my sims 3 folder from my documents and starting from scratch with all cc-that way I won't have any cc or store content installed before upgrading and then if there's any issues, I know it's not from cc already installed-I usually do this about once a year since I sometimes install cc and then don't want or need it anymore but it won't show up in the launcher-and a cleanout just removes everything and allows me to start over. But again, thank you for all your help.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 05:46:53 PM »
You're welcome!!