Author Topic: Possible 2023 Scheduling Changes  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Possible 2023 Scheduling Changes
« on: November 09, 2022, 10:24:50 AM »
As the 2022 tournament season winds down, the team is putting our heads together to try and find ways to increase participation in the upcoming 2023 season. It is no surprise to anyone that tournament participation in the last few years has greatly declined. It's hard to pinpoint the reason. It may be that many have simply moved on to other games. It may be that players are just tired of Sims 4. One team member suggested that no matter how enticing the forum tournament is, if players outside the forum are unaware of the tournament, then that is a huge problem. So, this is centered more on marketing/social media awareness.

One idea I have raised is returning to two monthly events instead of only one. One event would start the first Monday of the month and finish the following Sunday, so it would be short but straightforward. For example, the event that may end up kicking off 2023 could be something like "23 Unique Upgrades for 2023." All you would do is see how quickly you could do 23 unique upgrades, and you would be done.

The second event of the month would immediately follow the closing of the first event and begin on the second Monday of the month and would last for two weeks instead of one. I still feel the team needs to focus on offering really basic events, but the second might entail two scoring components or juggling two+ Sims instead of just one. However, still something everyone could easily pull off in the allotted time frame.

Feel free to offer your ideas in this thread to help the team plan for next season. Do two shorter events sound good, or would you prefer sticking with just one? Making it easier to achieve a world ranking is also a good thing. I have always felt that players need to put in a little effort to be ranked -- you cannot just post a score in a single challenge and expect to be ranked, but perhaps the second event of each month could count as two events?

Any additional ideas you have to make next season more successful are welcome. Thanks.

Offline mismck

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Townie
Re: Possible 2023 Scheduling Changes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 06:26:21 PM »
I like the idea of two events per month. I don't know that the second challenge of each month would be 2-event worthy - unless you are thinking of ditching the mid-season and finale big events...
Even though this year my life took several detours, I absolutely love the tournaments and really appreciate all the work that the team puts into each challenge. I will definitely post on my social media to promote the tournament.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 10:03:15 PM »
I think that the team member who suggested it could be an issue of awareness has a good point. I was a lurker on this forum for a long time before I joined the tournament last year and I've noticed that this whole forum seems to have got quieter and quieter over the years.

A few suggestions:

- if anyone is on other Sims forums or social media groups related to Sims, encouraging them to post about the tournament close to when it starts

- also encouraging people to share it on general social media if they're up for doing so

- perhaps Carl would be willing to post a news item about it on the Carl's guide front page when the tournament starts next year...?

- if anyone is a regular member of a Sims Youtuber or Twitch streamer's community, perhaps they could try to get them interested in the tournament or even just in one of the events. If a youtuber/twitcher mentioned it on stream to their followers (or better yet, streamed an old challenge), that would probably reach a lot of people, even if just a small percentage come here from that...

Unfortunately I'm not in any other sims forums/communities/etc and don't use social media so I can't really help out beyond offering up some ideas. I do sometimes mention this tournament when talking to friends and acquaintances about what I've been up to - I just say I'm participating in an unofficial casual sims tournament. Most people seem to think it sounds pretty interesting when I tell them about it but they're not simmers so I'm not actually convincing anyone to sign up. Simazing race has been a great one to talk about actually because people instantly get the connection from the name.

Thoughts about the tournament itself...

I prefer just 1 event per month. I don't have a lot of time to play sims and I doubt I'd be able to participate much in any events that only last a week. Maybe if they were really short simple things I might be able to fit it in but I don't know.

With that said... If I have to sit out an event sometimes that's okay with me so long as I can still participate at other times. From my perspective, it seems like one of the reasons participation is down is that most people are busy and don't have much time to play. So it seems quite possible that some very short focused challenges might bring in some new people, or even bring back some of the players who joined in previous years.

On the other hand it's possible that increasing the number of events overall could be a bit offputting to those who already don't have much time to play.

Perhaps you could do a mix...? Something like every second or third month has 2 very short, very focused challenges instead of 1 normal challenge. And we could choose to do either one or both.

I'm not sure how you'd work scoring if you did it this way though - I can see reasonable arguments for both 1) making all events worth the same (except for the finale), or 2) for making the short events worth less than the normal ones.

I think a few more pack focused events could be good. Though I do appreciate that you have been making an effort to keeping things accessible to people who don't have all the packs. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes how challenges force you to explore areas of the game that you might not have bothered with yet.

(Case in point - I picked up Cottage Living at some point when it was on sale this year but I haven't even got around to installing it yet because all of the time I've had available for Sims lately has been going on this tournament and it didn't seem like it would add anything particularly helpful to any of the recent events. So an event that focuses on some aspects of Cottage Living would be cool.)

How about reducing the requirement to be on the leaderboard to 2 events? Honestly I don't think it really matters - it could even be just 1 event - as someone who only does 1 or 2 events isn't going to be competitive overall with people who participated in more. But it's nice to see your name on the board and making it 2 events instead of 3 would make that a bit easier.

Speaking of the leaderboard, I personally think the participation component should probably be worth a bit less and the wins component should probably be worth a bit more. (Maybe 40/60..?). Also I think it's a bit weird that winning an event with very few participants gets you more points relative to 2nd, 3rd place, etc than winning a big event. I'm not really sure how you could do that part differently but surely winning an event with a large field of participants is significantly more difficult than winning a small event. But I also know that you've used this particular approach to calculating scores for ages so maybe there's no point changing it. Just thought I'd put this comment out there... I'll still participate, assuming my schedule allows, regardless of how scoring the leaderboard works because it's mainly the challenge of doing events that appeals to me.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 03:57:05 PM »
- if anyone is a regular member of a Sims Youtuber or Twitch streamer's community, perhaps they could try to get them interested in the tournament or even just in one of the events. If a youtuber/twitcher mentioned it on stream to their followers (or better yet, streamed an old challenge), that would probably reach a lot of people, even if just a small percentage come here from that...

Can you imagine if lilsimsie participated? Wow. She has 1.75M subscribers to her channel. Like you I really do not do social media. I'm more of an idea guy. Lol. I need others with big brains to help me, but if anyone is on lilsimsie's YouTube channel and could encourage her to try out next year's Tournament that would be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/@lilsimsie/videos

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 01:30:36 PM »
- perhaps Carl would be willing to post a news item about it on the Carl's guide front page when the tournament starts next year...?

I just requested Carl add a new button to the right of the green Forum button at the top titled Challenge Tournament.
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 02:23:40 PM »
Speaking of the leaderboard, I personally think the participation component should probably be worth a bit less and the wins component should probably be worth a bit more. (Maybe 40/60..?). Also I think it's a bit weird that winning an event with very few participants gets you more points relative to 2nd, 3rd place, etc than winning a big event. I'm not really sure how you could do that part differently but surely winning an event with a large field of participants is significantly more difficult than winning a small event. But I also know that you've used this particular approach to calculating scores for ages so maybe there's no point changing it.

Admittedly, I have used the same method for calculating the world ranking since day 1. But that does not mean it cannot be changed easily enough. What do you (and anyone else) think about simply awarding a point to participants for every player they beat in an event? They would then naturally be given more points for larger events. I could weigh the number of players beaten as 60% of one's world ranking and participation as 40%.

EDIT: Or, since percentages kind of weird things out a bit, I could just give a player a free point or two per event for simply participating. I have no idea what a fair number of points would be (I am open to suggestions), but obviously it would be at least one free point.

Offline mismck

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Townie
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 08:33:12 AM »
Admittedly, I have used the same method for calculating the world ranking since day 1. But that does not mean it cannot be changed easily enough. What do you (and anyone else) think about simply awarding a point to participants for every player they beat in an event? They would then naturally be given more points for larger events. I could weigh the number of players beaten as 60% of one's world ranking and participation as 40%.

EDIT: Or, since percentages kind of weird things out a bit, I could just give a player a free point or two per event for simply participating. I have no idea what a fair number of points would be (I am open to suggestions), but obviously it would be at least one free point.

I think I like the idea of a straight point system without the percentages. A point for every player beat seems good for the "Wins" portion.

How about participation points simply be based on the length of the event? 1 point per week? So if we go with your suggestion of 2 events per month, a 1 week and a 2 week, the 1 week event would be worth 1 participation point and the 2 week event would be worth 2 points. Are we still thinking about a mid and finale? If so, I assume they would be longer and the participation points would be awarded accordingly.

Currently, we need to participate in 3 events to make the World Ranking. If we go with a straight point system, would someone need a certain number of points to make the ranking? Or since what we really want is more participation, should the World Ranking include everyone who participates? Once someone sees their name on the board, would their competitive nature kick in and they would want to raise their score?
This year we had 13 players make the World Ranking. If we didn't have the 3 event requirement, I wonder how many would there have been on the board. There were 5 players that participated in the first event of the season that didn't play enough throughout the year to make the World Ranking - I know that we'll never know for sure, but it's possible that if they saw their name on the ranking list immediately, they may have pushed to raise their position…

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 08:43:15 AM »

I think I like the idea of a straight point system without the percentages. A point for every player beat seems good for the "Wins" portion.

How about participation points simply be based on the length of the event? 1 point per week? So if we go with your suggestion of 2 events per month, a 1 week and a 2 week, the 1 week event would be worth 1 participation point and the 2 week event would be worth 2 points. Are we still thinking about a mid and finale? If so, I assume they would be longer and the participation points would be awarded accordingly.

Currently, we need to participate in 3 events to make the World Ranking. If we go with a straight point system, would someone need a certain number of points to make the ranking? Or since what we really want is more participation, should the World Ranking include everyone who participates? Once someone sees their name on the board, would their competitive nature kick in and they would want to raise their score?
This year we had 13 players make the World Ranking. If we didn't have the 3 event requirement, I wonder how many would there have been on the board. There were 5 players that participated in the first event of the season that didn't play enough throughout the year to make the World Ranking - I know that we'll never know for sure, but it's possible that if they saw their name on the ranking list immediately, they may have pushed to raise their position…

Great minds think alike. :) Yeah, I am right with you and think that someone could qualify for a world ranking next year with 3 participation points, instead of 3 events. With two events potentially scheduled for January, a 1 week event (1 participation pt) and a 2-week event (2 participation points)...boom...someone is ranked at the end of January.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 03:41:16 PM »
I just wanted to give all forum challenge Tournament participants a heads-up on what's coming up for 2023. The team had a great meeting this morning, and lots of changes are coming: we'll be doing two events per month -- a concise one-week event immediately followed by a two-week event. Both rule sets will be posted one week before the first event starts. So, everything will be revealed on December 26th. Getting ranked will be easier than ever, and we're putting a new twist on the World Ranking. Stay tuned. :)

anything