Author Topic: DVD Install Question  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Ronald1962

• Nooboo
DVD Install Question
« on: May 01, 2022, 11:57:07 AM »
Installing all of my Walmart SIMS 3 DVDs onto a new computer.
Should I start and save a game after each DVD or start the game after all of the DVDs are installed?

Even though I have a low-end GPU (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060) I have the frame rate limited to 144 because I've heard that run-away fps can be a problem with The SIMS 3 on modern graphics cards.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: DVD Install Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 04:18:07 PM »
Installing Sims 3 can be done via original discs.  There's a few things that need to be done along the way.

There's no need to load the game and start a save after each disc install.

When I reinstalled Sims 3 via disc (using an external dvd drive) I installed base game first, then I downloaded and installed the Sims 3 Patch Downloader from MTS.

After that, I installed the rest of the expansions in order of release.

Check this article from EA Help that lists packs in order of release or see spoiler below. - If installing from disc, It's recommended installing expansions and stuff packs in the order they were released.

Spoiler: Install_Order (click to show/hide)

Use Nraas NoCD Mod so you don't have to have to keep your external drive always attached.  ;)

Please Note: If you have Origin installed, login to turn off Game Updates for Sims 3. Or Origin will try to take over your disc installation.

Turn off game updates for Sims 3 in Origin -
Login to Origin > Application Settings > Automatic Game Updates (Under Client Update section) and switch off automatic game updates.

Optional: White List the Game in Antivirus Program.

There have been reports of problems with programs getting messed with by antivirus programs. To help prevent that from happening. You may want to white list Sims 3. With there being several different antivirus programs you may need to search on how to white list Sims 3 in your specific antivirus program.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ronald1962

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 06:29:31 PM »
Thank you, Mrs. Flynn.

I don't see an add positive reputation points button or a thumbs-up button.
So I'm guessing that's not used in this forum.
If there is something similar here and I missed it I apologize for my poor etiquette.

Since there's 12 DVDs it might take me a day or two to get them all installed.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 07:01:35 PM »
We do not have a reputation system on our forum, so a nice Thank you works just fine!! :)

It does take awhile to install Sims 3 via disc. Last time I installed it, it didn't seem to take but a couple-few hours. It does depend on the speed of your system. It sounds as though you've got a fairly new system. So hopefully it won't take very long to install the game.
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 05:16:56 AM »
Hello, sorry to necro an old thread but I feel like my question belongs here so I didn't see the point in creating a new thread for it.

I was just wondering if it's possible to install a Sims 3 stuff pack on origin without using the disc?

I bought one, as I'm getting back into the Sims 3 again but my desktop computer doesn't have a dvd tray/disc drive (Whatever you call it) so I decided to try and use my ancient
laptop to install it instead. Thing is, I've barely used that laptop since I bought my desktop two years ago and it's been sitting in a cupboard for the past year. I pulled it out of
storage only to find that it no longer works and I can't get it going.

So unless I can install this pack without the disc then I will have to find another way around this issue. (I've already thought of a few ideas). I just thought I'd check here to see if
installing it using only the code was possible, before trying something else.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 10:51:06 AM »
You should be able to type in the game code given on Origin/EA's website to be able to register and download a copy of the stuff pack.

-- This works for both expansion and stuff packs if you have the disc version of the game.