Author Topic: De Gustibus non est Disputandem (There is no Disputing about Tastes)  (Read 5796 times)

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: De Gustibus non est Disputandem (There is no Disputing about Tastes)
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2021, 05:01:29 PM »
Time running away from me again.
We had 16 likes and dislikes, and only 2 opposites so 18 points.

Offline Eighty8Keys

• Townie
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2021, 09:20:40 PM »
I ran out of time so I'll post my partial score:

Likes & Dislikes: 10
No opposites

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline math_chick

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2021, 11:33:06 PM »
I wasn't able to play the full 2 weeks, but my eyes are tired. My household scored a measly 4 points.

4 likes and dislikes
0 opposites
total = 4

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2021, 06:14:11 AM »
This challenge is now closed.

My thanks to all participants and to MarianT for the original idea. Special grats to Teresa for the win.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2021, 06:45:28 AM »
Congratulations to Teresa, and to everyone who finished. I had no idea it would be as difficult as it was. My Sims usually decide they like or dislike something the first time they try it. Not so the ones in my challenge file, or anyone else's it would appear.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2021, 06:55:58 AM »
My approach was simple but not planned in advance so I really got lucky.  The key to the points was in the opposites so I focused everyone on doing one activity - singing - until they all had an opinion one way or another. 

I created 8 sims to start and plopped them down on an empty lot.  At first I had a lot of different activities and had everyone working on something different.  Then I realized there were more points in the opposites so I switched everyone to singing.  7/8 of the sims either liked or disliked singing by the end of the challenge.  Then I struggled with the rest.  The best I could figure, whether they decided to like or dislike something had to do with their emotion/mood while they were doing it but it seemed really random to me and I never figured out if there was a way to encourage the option.

Singing: 2 likes x 5 dislikes
Dancing: 1 like
Bowling: 2 likes
American music: 1 dislike

Thanks MarianT for the challenge. 
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2021, 07:48:03 AM »
Congratulations Teresa!

Sim likes/dislikes overall summary:

Handiness
Likes - 1
Dislikes - 3

Electronica music
Likes - 1
Dislikes - 1

Blues music
Likes - 1
Dislikes - 1

Other comments:

I only did some very minimal practice before deciding to just jump in. I also tried to do some research but didn't find much apart from the link between good moods & likes / bad moods & dislikes, which I had already heard about earlier.

While playing my file I experimented with all sorts of different approaches, most of which didn't seem to make any difference (at least as far as I could tell). Then about a week into it, I stumbled across one thing that seemed to make a difference to my score, though perhaps it was just coincidence.

I'm quite interested to hear how Lena managed to get so many likes and dislikes. In my game it seemed to be the case that the like/dislike pop up only occurred at least 24 hrs after the previous time. (No matter how much I tried to make sure everyone was always in a good/bad mood while doing something that they could form a like/dislike about).

I came up with this particular theory after noticing the time when I got my 4th, 5th & 6th likes/dislikes pop ups. It seemed like they were approximately 24 or 36hrs after the previous one. So on Sunday night with the challenge deadline looming over me, I decided to try using my theory to make my 7th & 8th likes/dislikes be things that would add to my opposites tally - and I was successful!

I sped through the first 22 hrs after the 6th pop up; then was very diligent about making sure every sim was only occupied with something that would definitely add a point to my opposites tally OR with something that shouldn't be able to trigger a like/dislike (eg. sleeping or reading fiction) until I got the next pop up about a like/dislike. Then repeat. The 7th like/dislike ended up popping up approximately 24 hrs after the 6th one, and the 8th was roughly another 36 hrs after that. Both of them added to my opposites tally as I'd hoped.

Until I saw Lena's score this morning, I was convinced that the other scores (11 likes/dislikes or less) were also pointing to my "not more than once a day" theory probably being correct. But this theory has only been very loosely tested so maybe it was just pure coincidence that it seemed to work that way.

Edited to add:
Congratulations to Teresa, and to everyone who finished. I had no idea it would be as difficult as it was. My Sims usually decide they like or dislike something the first time they try it. Not so the ones in my challenge file, or anyone else's it would appear.
I spent a lot of time wondering if I was misremembering previous save games - I could have sworn that the like/dislike pop up used to occur a lot more frequently/easily. (And quite often on their first time doing an activity, like you said). It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who remembers that - guess I'm not losing my memory after all!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2021, 09:08:33 AM »
I didn't really want to play this one because I love planning maybe even more than playing :D and here I had no idea how to trigger things. After a few practice runs which had no success, I played only a couple of sim days and decided to call it a day.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2021, 09:43:49 AM »
@jesslc @MarianT 
I felt the same way - it seems like in my regular games they are getting so many popups about liking or disliking something but here they didn't come as often.  And then they would all come at once, but out of 8 sims only 2-3 would get the popup at any given time.  I never did get a good feel for timing between.  Sometimes it was quickly after they started an activity, sometimes it took awhile, and one sim sang for a week and never got a popup for singing.  She was still singing when the challenge ended.
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2021, 10:38:49 AM »
I didn't really want to play this one because I love planning maybe even more than playing :D and here I had no idea how to trigger things. After a few practice runs which had no success, I played only a couple of sim days and decided to call it a day.

Well, in your case it did not hurt your ranking. You're one of the few players (along with Teresa) that have posted scores in every single event, so this event I just dropped for you.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2021, 10:53:16 AM »

Well, in your case it did not hurt your ranking. You're one of the few players (along with Teresa) that have posted scores in every single event, so this event I just dropped for you.

Yes, I remember that only the best 10 events count :D So it's better to skip something you don't feel great about. We're here to have fun.