Author Topic: Flutter Me Shutters  (Read 10379 times)

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
Re: Flutter Me Shutters
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2021, 10:05:41 AM »
Hi, you can put me down for a DNF since I accidently made money in another way.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2021, 10:45:10 AM »
Mallory Hinds could have done a bit more but I'm running short on real world time so I'll end it here.

She has taken 200 photos, has $16,400 in household funds and has completed 4 collections.

Total
16400 x 1.4 = 22,960

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline mismck

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Townie
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2021, 04:37:27 PM »
Prue Halliwell and her household of minions are done  :)

Total Household Funds: §29,888
7 Completed collections for a CM of 1.7
Total Score: 50,809

Offline CynKuy

• Occult
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2021, 07:18:12 PM »
My Sim's ending household funds was $12,348 and she completed 5 collections.

12348 X 1.5 = 18522
Cynthia

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2021, 05:58:52 AM »
This challenge is now over. Grats to mismck on her 2nd win of the season. Everyone is now free to discuss strategy.

Offline mismck

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Townie
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2021, 07:22:26 AM »
Thanks Metro! This one was a micro-managers dream  ;D

At the beginning of my game file, I planted the following missing EA lots: National Park (Lost Gardens of Healing), Spa (Perfect Balance Spa), and Restaurant (Chez Llama). I chose Chez Llama for the experimental food for pictures.

The broad summary of my whole plan was to fill my house with Collectors & Geeks so they could all fish, harvest, and dig for items needed for the picture collections. I would only take pictures of Sims with the In a Flash Photo Studio - for the commission. I would also utilize Clubs for several things: 1) Rally the Troops; 2) set one of the club activities as Cook so the non-household club members will cook meals that don’t cost me anything, even when they do it in my own kitchen; and 3) bring Sims to my house to take their picture.

I decided to have a female Spellcaster as my main Sim. One reason was to get to magic land faster to fish, harvest, and dig over in the garden area. She had The Curator Aspiration for the bonus trait of Collector. Her other traits were Cheerful, Geek, and Insider. She moved in to Oasis Springs: Nookstone (§13,019) - the cheapest furnished house available. This house cannot be deemed a Tiny House - it is 3 tiles too big - BUMMER. I made sure one of the lot traits was set to Natural Light for when she started taking pictures.

The first thing I worked on was to shop for Aspiration points so she could buy a few key traits (Incredibly Friendly & Savant). I had her go to the Willow Creek Library to speed through the first pieces of the two Vampire Aspirations - very quick & easy 1,200 points. She dabbled in a few other Aspirations and she had Incredibly Friendly by 1:00 that first day. She started a Club, Photo Phrenzy, but did not add anyone else yet. She also joined the Good Timers club so she could use Rally the Troops in her own club.

Over the course of the first few Sim days, I befriended (easy with Incredibly Friendly) and moved into my household various Townies that I felt would suit my needs: Caleb Vatore (Vampire - he’s a daywalker right from the beginning - all the perks of a Vampire with none of the pesky sunshine issues!), Ekram Elderberry (Collector Trait & Level 8 Fishing), Moira Fyres (Level 9 Gardening), Akira Kibo (Collector Trait), Travis Scott (Geek Trait), Grace Anansi (Collector Trait), and Darrel Charm (Spellcaster that knows the Necrocall spell). I was going to use the Necrocall spell to summon Ekram after he naturally passed away so I could get a picture of his ghost, however by the time he naturally died, I had already completed the Occult pictures collection, so I did not need to do that.

One thing I wanted to do early on was to befriend Arun and/or Jesminder so I could snap a pic of their baby when it arrived. However, I had a funky glitch with this game file: every apartment I visited had no front door. This meant I couldn’t knock and couldn’t enter ANY apartment in San Myshuno. So, I had to come up with a different Baby picture plan that did NOT include a baby in my own household: Summer Holiday ended up having Caleb’s baby.

While Caleb was working on the Vampire Aspirations at the Library (needed him to get to Level 4 Vampire Lore so he could make plasma packs from fish & frogs), Prue and the rest of the household/club went fishing and it didn’t take long to purchase the Photography Club Booster and to max out the club size to include all eight of them. They spent the next couple of days fishing in different neighborhoods/areas so some dig spots could spawn - i.e. Magic Realm, BFF Neighborhood in Willow Creek, Sylvan Glade, the Park in Willow Creek, etc. Prue also continued working on various Aspirations to earn points. Tuesday morning, she bought the Savant Trait. Then they went to the BFF house so Caleb & Summer could have a quick romance. After that, it was time to go home and start taking pictures.

With the Natural Light lot trait, Photography club booster, Savant trait, and drinking an Inspired Potion, Prue was able to max out the Photography skill after taking 10 pictures of various collection items (furniture around the house, harvestables fished out of the water, metals/crystals/fossils dug up, etc.) with the Barely Better Digital Camera that she fished out of the water. Then she purchased the Photo Studio and, with maxed Photography, each commission was §53.

Now the clubs would be fully utilized. Grace started a Fishing/Collecting club for all household members, except for Caleb & Prue. There were four fishing spots that could be reached without traveling and several spots that spawned dig sites, so they kept busy fishing & digging. I had to keep an eye on the household fishing collection and when they came close to completing the collection (§500 ‘prize’), they had to stop fishing and adopt new non-money making hobbies, like reading and playing video games on their phones. Prue and Caleb had separate clubs that they filled with Sims that would cook meals and Prue could photograph as Ordinary Sims. Then Caleb would turn them into Vampires, so a few days later, they would be invited back over for an Occult picture after they fully turned into Vampires. My extra 10 photos were also taken of Sims for the commission. In all, 73 Sims were photographed in the Photo Studio for §3,869 in commissions. The baby (Caleb & Summer's love child) & toddler (Evie Delgato) pics were taken at their respective houses. I also needed all pictures in the Photo Studio to be completed before the electricity was shut off - I did not pay any bills.

Pictures of meals: the non-household club members did a pretty good job of making a variety of meals. I also spent an evening hanging out at Chez Llama to snap pics of meals ordered by others. Then, using fish and fruit/vegetable items harvested (or caught), I only had to make 12 meals for a total cost of §17.

All pictures were sold at Yard Sales with 300% markup. In all, I held 55 yard sales. Some were held at parks and the library. For the last few days, yard sales were held at home with all household members, except for Prue, locked in the house and left on their own to read, sleep, and play video games on their phones.

The only money spent: House (§13,019), In a Flash Photo Studio (§800), Selvadoradian Craft Sales Table (§300), Making Meals (§17), and Household Members Making Food or Ordering Drinks Without Permission 3 Times (§45).

Since I finished late yesterday afternoon and had to get to work early this morning, this is quite a rushed (and wordy) strategy post. So, please let me know if you have any questions or if you want the lists of photos taken.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2021, 08:45:16 AM »
Great write-up, mismck. Grats, again.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »
Congratulations mismck!

I learnt lots of stuff I didn't know while practicing and doing this challenge including:

There doesn't seem to be much difference in the photo value between the free phone camera and the medium cost camera you can buy. (I didn't test the other two cameras).

The In a flash photo studio doesn't level the photography skill. But the amount of commission earned when using it is dependent on photography skill level.

Being inspired when taking a photo seems to increase the chance of an outstanding photo which also increases sell price. I'm uncertain if traits or aspiration had anything to do with this, but I found:
- photos taken at level 5 skill while inspired would usually (always?) be outstanding quality and average $25-26
- photos taken at level 5 skill when not inspired would be a mix of normal and outstanding quality and average $18-19

(My sim had creative, cheerful, art lover and the painting aspiration if you want to investigate further)

And some stuff that other people probably already know like where the heck are all the dig spots and what's up with all these treasure maps and time capsules... (Nothing useful, in this case).

Also, where possible I came up with ways to track the photos within the game. For example - for the furniture collection, I got Mallory very inspired and we went to visit the Spencer Kim Lewis household because I thought that it would be much easier to keep track there. Eg. Have we taken a photo of this kind of chair already? I just look back over the parts of the mansion Mallory had already been through and if in doubt, leave it out - there's plenty of other furniture here. And she only took photos for the furniture collection at that time so I just had to look in her inventory to see how many we'd done. These photos were checked (in case of thumbs) then sold before starting on the next collection. It was less efficient than working on multiple collections at once but I do prefer in game tracking methods. (Of course that's not always possible, but for those photos my external notes just have listed "25 photos of furniture, S-K-L house" along with how much that collection sold for).

anything