Author Topic: Recommended number of sims per world?  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Madi

• Nooboo
Recommended number of sims per world?
« on: June 07, 2021, 07:35:42 PM »
I decided to download a custom world to move my save file into, the world came unpopulated so im going around to fill the world with some more sims. I was wondering the amount of sims I should put into the world for best optimization? I would like to avoid the issue of last time of where the world became so large that saving was impossible after a certain number of time.

Here are my specs if that helps
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @2.40GHz 2.40GHz
8 GB of Ram with 8 GB of Memory (around 4 available  but I do need to do some file cleaning)

Would love a general number or advice!

Online MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Recommended number of sims per world?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 10:16:54 PM »
I've never tried to populate a town.

However, it seems the average town population give or take is around 100 total Sims. Maybe start with 50 Sims, get a feel for that.  If you want more then add more. Do so in small amounts, like 10. So as to not over-populate. Easier to add then it is to take away.

If you play with any kind of story progression it will add/remove Sims as you play, so that's something to keep in mind.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 10:58:35 PM »
While this was originally meant for Create-a-World users, I think it's a good guide as to how many resident sims a "healthy" world has. (meanwhile the game is good at filling service and homeless NPC roles so that's more optional) https://cawtool.fandom.com/wiki/CAW_Population:_Balancing_Your_Population

The number's around 30 for filling rabbithole and Ambitions jobs around town but you will want extra to replace an aging population, fill jobs that later EPs introduced, have unemployed sims available for other roles like consignment clerks and stylists, have classmates for kids, etc. MrsFlynn's 50 is close to the EA world average but if your computer can handle it, I think 60 is a better number to start with in a world. It's close to Sunset Valley's starting population and SV uses it for having lots and lots of kids in the world.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Madi

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 01:38:40 AM »
I've never tried to populate a town.

However, it seems the average town population give or take is around 100 total Sims. Maybe start with 50 Sims, get a feel for that.  If you want more then add more. Do so in small amounts, like 10. So as to not over-populate. Easier to add then it is to take away.

If you play with any kind of story progression it will add/remove Sims as you play, so that's something to keep in mind.

If the sim has a resident it shouldnt delete them correct? This world is pretty huge, so im probably gonna have enough houses for everyone, and a bunch of empty houses

Offline Madi

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 02:04:18 AM »
While this was originally meant for Create-a-World users, I think it's a good guide as to how many resident sims a "healthy" world has. (meanwhile the game is good at filling service and homeless NPC roles so that's more optional) https://cawtool.fandom.com/wiki/CAW_Population:_Balancing_Your_Population

The number's around 30 for filling rabbithole and Ambitions jobs around town but you will want extra to replace an aging population, fill jobs that later EPs introduced, have unemployed sims available for other roles like consignment clerks and stylists, have classmates for kids, etc. MrsFlynn's 50 is close to the EA world average but if your computer can handle it, I think 60 is a better number to start with in a world. It's close to Sunset Valley's starting population and SV uses it for having lots and lots of kids in the world.

I looked around in Nras at the population and there seems to be a lot of service sims avaible for all the joba required. Buttt I am kind of picky, and I think it would be fun to create every sim my own. Any way to change the Service sims using nras or other mods? And do service sims have to be homeless?

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 09:19:22 AM »
You can manually edit service sims in Create a Sim with no issues (easier through the MasterController command though). As far as I know, they have to be part of the "service" household though. It might be worth it to disable service NPC aging with StoryProgression too if you work hard on appearances, because the game will rapidly cycle through NPCs when they age up.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded