Author Topic: Overheating Issue  (Read 7395 times)

Offline ReHaMuhamed

• Nooboo
Overheating Issue
« on: June 30, 2017, 09:02:24 PM »
Yesterday i was playing the sims 4 normally without any issues .. Today i downloaded toddlers and vampires update .. it works well but causing over heating to my laptop and the laptop shutting down .. i didn't face this issue before the update.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Overheating Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:11:13 PM »
You might be trying to push your laptop to hard if it's overheating and shutting down. It's recommended that if you're playing on a laptop to have a cooling mat to help it from overheating. Here's an example of a cooling mat:

Kootek Laptop Cooling Pad 12"-17" Sale: $22.99
https://www.amazon.com/Kootek-Laptop-Cooling-Cooler-Adjustable/dp/B01469DJLM

If you don't have one, or can't get one right away, it may be worth lowering the in-game settings to help lessen the stress on the graphics card.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ReHaMuhamed

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »
Thanks for your reply ... but  i really don't understand the difference between before and after the update
before the update i played the game on ultra settings .. i was playing for hours without any problem and the fan worked normally after the update .. i tried to play on low settings  .. but as soon as i start the game the fan becomes crazy loud .. then the laptop shut down ... is there a reason for this ??

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 09:35:18 PM »
Yes, it's because the laptop is being over-stressed. The more packs, mods and custom content you install plus the mandatory updates to the game the more resources it takes to run the game, putting more stress on the laptop. Specifically the graphics card.

This is why we're suggesting a cooling mat and lowering the in-game graphics. If that doesn't help you may need to get your laptop looked at.

Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline angelD

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 03:18:07 AM »
Thanks for your reply ... but  i really don't understand the difference between before and after the update
before the update i played the game on ultra settings .. i was playing for hours without any problem and the fan worked normally after the update .. i tried to play on low settings  .. but as soon as i start the game the fan becomes crazy loud .. then the laptop shut down ... is there a reason for this ??

Your laptop is shutting down to stop any damage to the hardware due to over taxed system. The extra content of the packs are requiring your system to load more data than previously and the hardware can't keep up. Aside from lowering graphics as you said you did, I would try to close any browsers or background programs that are unnecessary before attempting to load game again. Also try to play the game in windowed mode instead of full screen and resize the game window so that it is smaller. Make sure you place your laptop on a flat hard surface with something under it allowing air to flow beneath, do not block the vent. Don't place it on carpet or bed where the material will cover the airflow on the bottom. Good luck.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 07:12:09 AM »
I used to have similar problems to you regarding playing the Sims 4 on my laptop, I found that updating the drivers helped, playing in offline mode and cleaning my fan, in addition to what everybody else here has suggested.

My situation however, was a little different as I had dropped my laptop a few months beforehand and that was contributing to the issue, I had to get it fixed and my fan eventually got replaced. Said laptop is about six years old so it's been traded in for a new desktop, it still works and runs the Sims 4 pretty well so I keep it as a back up computer. Just out of curiosity, how old is your laptop? I noticed that you haven't mentioned it's specs or anything and some older computers can struggle to keep up with the game now, due to all the packs and updates etc. You could always try playing with some of your packs turned off and see if that helps.

If you have CC or Mods installed then this can cause crashing too as they can become corrupted with updates and wreak all sorts of havoc in your game, it doesn't sound like this is your case but I thought it worth mentioning.

Offline astralan

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 07:43:29 AM »
When you bring up the task manager (rightclick the taskbar, open task manager) locate the sims 4 task and see if the gpu is running hot. If it is, try updating the video drivers. Even the ones that came with the laptop may be enough.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything