Author Topic: Sims 3 - Clicking on some inventory items doesn't do anything.  (Read 3638 times)

Offline acerthorn

• Llama Wrangler
I'm doing a challenge where I start with no money. So in order to eat anything, I have to buy the vegetables (such as lettuce) and eat it directly from my inventory. However, when I click on the lettuce, nothing happens. In fact, when I click on it and then move the cursor, the actually drags the lettuce even though I'm not holding down the mouse button anymore.

Any idea what's causing this and how to fix it?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Sims 3 - Clicking on some inventory items doesn't do anything.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 06:28:57 PM »
Please forgive these tips, as it wasn't mentioned what was tried to troubleshoot.

You might try reset Sim, if that doesn't help Evict the household and move them back in. Saving house to Library and then replacing the house sometimes helps as well as part of evicting the household.

Reset Town, Individual Sims and/or Evict Household
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg401812#msg401812
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline acerthorn

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 06:39:03 PM »
Neither resetting the Sim nor evicting the household appears to fix the problem. Any other ideas?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 06:41:05 PM »
You might try family in a new save as part of troubleshooting?
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline acerthorn

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 07:20:07 PM »
I started a new game with a new household, and I was able to eat the food if I layed it on the ground first. But I still couldn't eat it directly out of the sim's inventory.

Also, I can't plant my alchemy ingredients to grow more of them.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 07:24:34 PM »
The not being able to plant things from inventory sounds like a glitch. This happens even after saving household to library and trying them in a new save?

Offline acerthorn

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 07:27:04 PM »
Yes. If I click on any plantable or edible thing in my inventory (fruit, vegetable, wolfsbane, anything), then nothing happens. Instead, merely clicking once on the item causes me to drag and drop it as if I were holding the mouse button down. No menu pops up when I click on an edible thing in my inventory.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 07:36:50 PM »
I'm trying a test game to see if I can recreate the issue.

I feel silly fo asking. When did you first start noticing this issue? And do you have a previous save you can go back to before issue started?

Offline acerthorn

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 07:39:15 PM »
I don't have a previous save. I've only just reinstalled the game after a multi-year absense. I noticed the problem when I started playing the game today for the first time in years.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 08:07:11 PM »
I'm not able to recreate the issue.

A few things to help troubleshoot:

1. If you have any mods or custom content, disable or remove them and try it again
2. If you have any software such as screen recorders, voice/video chat apps, etc. try disabling them
3. If the problems are showing up in other apps/games, try plugging the mouse into a different USB port
4. Check the configuration of the mouse in its software - especially if you're using a gaming mouse with custom software
5. Try uninstalling/reinstalling the mouse drivers/software
6. If all else fails, uninstall the mouse driver and try a different mouse to see if the problem persists

Offline acerthorn

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 08:10:24 PM »
None of these seem to work. I already tried removing all my mods, and that didn't help. I already wasn't using any screen recording software (although I am preparing to stream on twitch, I'm not there yet).

I don't see why this would be a mouse problem. If it were, plenty of other things my computer does would register a single mouse click as the equivalent of a hold-down. Even the game registers mouse clicks for what they truly are in most other aspects of the game.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 08:17:55 PM »
I'm not sure what else to recommend other than uninstall/reinstall Sims 3. As the mouse shouldn't be doing what it's doing. I'm sorry I couldn't  be of more help.

If that doesn't help or you want to get a 2nd opinion, please post to AHQ Sims 3 Tech Help Board. Give as much detail as possible on the issue and list what troubleshooting you've tried.

AHQ's Sims Tech Help Board:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/the-sims-3

Sign in with your EA account, click the New Topic button, up near the top of the board, to make a new post.

anything