Author Topic: Rules: The Struggling Single Parent Challenge  (Read 15960 times)

Offline Erin

• Sims Addict
  • Llama Wrangler
    • YouTube
Rules: The Struggling Single Parent Challenge
« on: June 13, 2020, 12:25:11 AM »
The Struggling Single Parent Challenge

In this challenge, you must start out with a young adult sim, and their toddler child. They may be related to other sims in the world, but they must live on their own.

They must start out with two part-time jobs, which they must keep until they reach max level in both. At that point they may take a full-time job, but it must follow the logical progression of a continuing career. Barista may take a full-time job in the Culinary Mixology branch. Fast Food = Culinary Chef branch, Manual Labor = Gardener either branch, Retail = Business Management Branch, and Babysitter = Entertainment Comedy branch.

They may not sell any of their harvestables or craftables until they reach level 10 of that skill, and if they wish to become self-employed, they also must reach level 10 of that skill before they do so. These rules may be gotten around only if your sim earns a college degree while working and raising the child, and then takes a career in a field that their degree is directly related to.

While your sim is working their part-times jobs they may use free day care, but if they advance to a full time job before their child ages up, they must then hire a nanny. They must also hire a nanny for their child until they age up to teen, unless they are able to work from home, or are otherwise self-employed (because who would leave their 6-12 year old home unattended all night while they work?)

You may use their starting funds to build a small cheap home, or even a micro home. Then, calculate the amount of Simoleons they would earn from both part-time jobs in a week, and then, use the money code to reduce their household funds to that amount. However, if you have less than that left, you may not add to it.
You may not move out of your starter home until you have unlocked the ability to take a full-time job, and saved up enough money to purchase a new home. Your sim may not marry or have a significant other move in until they have moved out of their starter home.

6/27/2020
I would like to mention something I have come across while playing this challenge myself.
If your sim has family members in the game, they will want to come over a lot, and even help out with housework with higher relationships. The toddler can also request baths and other things from them while they are there. I am allowing these interactions, because I feel it makes it more realistic. They, however, can not substitute for daycare or nanny, (unless for some reason the game assigns them as the nanny? Then it would be fine because you are paying them), because this is not allowed by the game itself. I don't want anyone to feel like they failed the challenge because NPC's or inactive household sims are cleaning your house for you =D.
I am also adding that you can use a mod or use the money code to add 100 simoleons to your household funds every week, as child support. I feel that is a realistic amount. If you do not want to add child support, to make it harder that is up to you, but I would say that more than 100 a week is too much. I hope you have fun with this!

7/6/2020 Another amendment (sorry I feel they are getting excessive at this point, but necessary). You may age your toddler or child up early, but only if they have maxed their skills for that life stage. With children, they must have also completed all childhood aspirations in order to age up early.
You think you know who you are, what's to come. You haven't even begun. ~ Dracula
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Buffy vs. Dracula
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7izdNOLStXDQMCan_wQyBQ/

Offline Erin

• Sims Addict
  • Llama Wrangler
    • YouTube
Re: Rules: The Struggling Single Parent Challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »
I added this pole, because I have been wondering if adding the collection of child support to this challenge would be okay, or would it sort of Nerf the challenge?
You think you know who you are, what's to come. You haven't even begun. ~ Dracula
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Buffy vs. Dracula

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 04:32:22 AM »
Wait, you can hire a nanny for a child?  I've had a lot of times where I wanted to, because they always have maxed instrument skills and can mentor!  If/when Maxis fixes children learning adult skills, I'll have to get back to a save where I have a single parent and child and try that.

Offline Erin

• Sims Addict
  • Llama Wrangler
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 02:09:54 PM »
Wait, you can hire a nanny for a child?  I've had a lot of times where I wanted to, because they always have maxed instrument skills and can mentor!  If/when Maxis fixes children learning adult skills, I'll have to get back to a save where I have a single parent and child and try that.

Yes, you just go to services on your phone, and you can hire a nanny for 60 simoleons plus 10 simoleons an hour. I actually just double checked this because I was afraid I was remembering Sims 3, but it is available in sims 4 as well.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Buffy vs. Dracula

Offline Erin

• Sims Addict
  • Llama Wrangler
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 12:17:10 PM »
I have amended the challenge rules a bit in the main section as of today. I would really appreciate any input anyone has. If you have tried this, I would love to know how it went for you!
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Buffy vs. Dracula

Offline Simsgeek4

• Nooboo
  • Hey Guys, I am Sven and i am from Germany. (:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 07:46:28 AM »
Hey i played this challenge for a bit and i have to say that it is quite fun honestly :D at the beginning i thought it would be too easy. But it is actually hard to invest money in something. I am trying to save up my money for a home but hiring the nanny always crosses my idea. :D
But really cool challenge until now. I hope that i ll be able to move out of my current home and start to marry. - Challenge Accepted

Offline Erin

• Sims Addict
  • Llama Wrangler
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 09:06:46 PM »
I'm so happy you are enjoying it! Please keep me posted on your progress  ;D
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Buffy vs. Dracula

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.