Author Topic: The Knethen Immortal Dynasty  (Read 66501 times)

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
Re: The Knethen Immortal Dynasty
« Reply #255 on: October 03, 2016, 08:39:29 PM »
@oshizu - Honestly, it's not even the story-line that takes the most time. 

At 7 generations in, the game is so glitched/old that I literally can not play over a speed of 2, and sometimes I can't even use that.  Every sim-day I play takes almost an hour real time due to being unable to super-speed the game and needing to babysit the current dynasty sim.  With a good 40-50ish simdays left, that's a fairly hefty time investment, at least another 15 hours of game time even if I just ignore the game and let it run in the background for a while (which runs the risk of a dynasty sim dying or somehow otherwise breaking the rules by automatic action). 

One thing that I've contemplated trying is just bulldozing the lot and trying to play with a smaller, less complex house.  Which, actually, may be worth a shot now that I'm really thinking about it.  I'll keep an older copy of the game save, just in case something breaks when I bulldoze the lot...  but that might fix the game lag and other issues I have.  Or at least help.

The other issue with continuing to play is that its been so long I don't remember where I am... I have my score sheet still, so I can look at that, but it's so much slower having to look up where I am instead of just knowing what to do next.  In fact, it's been so long since I played that I'm actually having to relearn stuff that I used to know how to do automatically (like the quick process for getting a Sim "very emotional" for an entire work day for example), which makes playing the game less enjoyable as well.  I feel like if I was starting a clean game it wouldn't be as bad since I'd relearn it all as I went, but playing the dynasty again is almost like getting shoved into a job that I don't really know how to do and having to learn how to do it while trying to work it.

Last reason:  I've beaten 6 out of 8 generations, and the only hard generation was the first one, and some of the second one.  About halfway through my second generation of the dynasty, EA updated the Sims pretty heavily.  They made all of the aspirations much easier, which made the game itself much easier, and cut the difficulty of the Immortal Dynasty challenge by a good amount.  Myself and some others I've talked with think it's possible to do what I called a Double-Time Dynasty, which is basically the Immortal Dynasty, but with all of the requirements doubled.  So, the challenge has been more or less a cakewalk since generation 3, I've done more or less the exact same thing for 6 generations, the only expansion to the game that really added new gameplay was Get To Work, and I have another 15-20 hours of exactly more of the same in my future.  I'm bored out of my MIND with playing The Sims in general, and this challenge in particular.

TL;DR  A bit of a long and drawn out answer there, but I wanted to be clear why I'm stopping...  it's not that I don't want to complete, and I really would like to finish the story...  but I'm bored of doing the same thing for hours on end, there's really no new content, and my game save is so old its impossible to play at speed 3.
Knethen Immortal Dynasty
Double Time Dynasty Rules (A modification of the immortal dynasty)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #256 on: October 03, 2016, 09:11:14 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry to make you respond at such length, but I understand your frustration with how laggy the game gets during the final generations.
I didn't bulldoze my lot, but I remember selling the retail lot, selling all the collections, and drastically downsizing all the inventories, all of which really helped with the lagging.

I also appreciate your feeling about how repetitious the challenge starts to feel as it nears the end--perhaps overcoming the resistance to that boredom becomes part of the challenge.
It wasn't my intention to try to guilt you to do something that isn't fun for you anymore.
It's just that I love your storytelling so please let us know if you start something else.

I really didn't mean to offend, dethdukk. You have all my respect!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #257 on: October 04, 2016, 02:57:54 AM »
Sad to hear you may not be completing but I understand the boredom aspect as I am quite desperate for new content myself. I think in a game where there are many more game play elements the final generations wouldn't be nearly as repetitive and boring to play, let's hope TS4 becomes that game eh. City Living looks good so hopefully that will ignite your interest again as I could do with another dethdukk story.  ;)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #258 on: October 04, 2016, 03:58:20 PM »
Well, I really do feel your pain in this.  I have to admit even though I am only on the FIRST heir, I find it really boring to play.  It's just rinse and repeat to the point I'm tempted to just stop with TS4 and go back to TS3.  Yes, it was glitchy but the content available made it a lot more interesting and challenging.  Thanks for explaining all your reasons.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
« Reply #259 on: February 22, 2020, 11:02:00 PM »
(update currently in progress, please don't put it back into the graveyard!)
Knethen Immortal Dynasty
Double Time Dynasty Rules (A modification of the immortal dynasty)

anything