Author Topic: How do you play the winter season? (Preventing sims from death by cold).  (Read 1450 times)

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
Hello.

Slowly I'm getting a little annoyed. Yes we did touch the topic in my thread: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=32397.0 and I will quote member Brian_Z here:
The game does cull sims when the total number starts getting big.  Especially sims you have never interacted with, and especially ghosts you have never interacted with.

So recently I had a (quite unknown) sim die because she was shoveling snow in everyday wear on a very cold day. But I did not save that. And today, in my other install, the game did kill one of my sims because the air conditioning was on cold on a cold day. (I did play a visiting sim when she did and I did not save that. I could open up the lot (she was so close so it was a matter of seconds before HE arrived) and have one of the sims pray to the grim reaper to  save her and it worked).

So how do you play sims during the cold time of the year? Should the heating always be on or off and if it should be on should it always be on hot? Or will the sims in other worlds survive if I play Oasis Springs during winter? OK, it was not necessary to save the unknown NPC but I want MY sims to stay alive.  :'(

Unpopular opinion: I like the Sims 4

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
Sims will only ever die off-screen from old age.
Usually sims are better about changing their outfits.  But maybe that was an issue during the very old patch you're sticking with.  I do recall cold deaths being a HUGE problem shortly after the Discover University release.
You'll want to turn heat on when the thermometer turns blue, off when it's yellow, and cool when it's red.  There's a great auto-thermostat mod on Mod The Sims, although I have no idea if it works with the super old patch you're using.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
Hello.

OK, I do understand. But I do have a lot of households so I think I have to check that first thing when I open a lot. And the thing was, she were in her cold weather clothing. I have seen sims in shorts/swimwear during snowstorm but have never seen anyone die. But I guess I have to delete some of the NPC's I don't interact with. 

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
I never use the thermostat because I can't be bothered changing its setting throughout the year.
Instead, i manually change my sims' outfits as necessary UNTIL I can buy them the Iceproof trait. 
Iceproof is one of the traits I buy for every teen and older sim that I play.

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
Yeah, the Iceproof trait is a nice thing. I thought about it too. I hardly ever use those traits so it would be a good option.

anything