Author Topic: Anyone else disappointed in the lack of skill variety in the jobs in this game?  (Read 2740 times)

Offline LazyKatie

• Llama Wrangler
Seriously, Logic and Charisma are all over the place, with most, if not all, jobs having at least one branch that requires at least one of the 2 skills, and with several jobs requiring BOTH. Meanwhile no career requires fishing, and gardening is used by a single teen job and no adult jobs. It feels like I'm always leveling the same few skills for jobs.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
Yes, it's a problem. I miss the days of TS2 where all the games' skills were used in the careers in some way. They didn't always make sense, but there was more variety. It's pretty tough for me because I hate skilling charisma!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
Gardening is indirectly used in the science career as is fishing to a lesser extent. Given it comes up in the daily activities and ingredient requirements for potions. You will also slowly gain logic, charisma, handiness and rocket science. So while no skill is required the science career to advance will require activities that will build several several different including both Gardening and fishing to advance. The fact that career requires so many skill building activities in so many skills plus collecting is why I love it so. Plus I like aliens, gizmos, and potions. Who doesn't love making the town dance or making someone change into their swimming suit?

I do agree though that the rabbit hole careers do lack a variety of skill requirements, but they are boring anyway.

Offline LazyKatie

• Llama Wrangler
Gardening is indirectly used in the science career as is fishing to a lesser extent. Given it comes up in the daily activities and ingredient requirements for potions. You will also slowly gain logic, charisma, handiness and rocket science. So while no skill is required the science career to advance will require activities that will build several several different including both Gardening and fishing to advance. The fact that career requires so many skill building activities in so many skills plus collecting is why I love it so. Plus I like aliens, gizmos, and potions. Who doesn't love making the town dance or making someone change into their swimming suit?

I do agree though that the rabbit hole careers do lack a variety of skill requirements, but they are boring anyway.

I didn't realize fishing was part of being a scientist in the sims 4, but i haven't played too far into that track yet.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
Fishing is one of the random "daily activities" that could come up. Also it can produce "eureka" moments required to advance. I thought fish could be used in a serum but I was wrong.

Science career uses at least 6 different skills. The most important being gardening as you will need tons of plants for serums, nets eureka moments, and comes up as a daily. I don't think you can be a scientist without someone tending a garden for ingredients at least not easily. You will be required to use socials so Charisma will raise but is not remotely needed. Fishing is useful but can be worked around, but again when the daily activity fish for 20 minutes it nets eureka moments. Building a rocket, and space missions comes up as dailies so rocket science is going to be gained plus both of those actives can net a eureka moment. Activities that build logic are common daily requirements, plus many of them can earn you a eureka moment. Handiness is quite useful given your required equipment breaks down and tinkering gains eureka moments.

Plus as a scientist you will need a large collection of crystals, metals, DNA, fruit, flowers, plant slides, and more for inventions and serums so collecting is required.

It is the most varied career in the game plus given the usefulness of some of the inventions and serums it also has the most utility of the professions and it has a live and rabbit hole mode makes it my favorite. All my sims "retire" to that career after they do the ones required for aspirations. Plus it is easy to make some side money as a scientist using the cloning device and sim ray. And it involves aliens. As I said I like aliens.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
Yes, it's a problem. I miss the days of TS2 where all the games' skills were used in the careers in some way. They didn't always make sense, but there was more variety. It's pretty tough for me because I hate skilling charisma!
I don't really like skilling charisma either, so if I can use the Great Kisser reward to help with that I do - it really speeds up charisma gains.  Even more so with Convivial lot trait and a club skill boost.