Author Topic: Taking a break from Sims?  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Peanuts61

• Occult
Taking a break from Sims?
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:11:46 PM »
Hi everybody

I'm not sure where I should have placed this question, but I was wondering when you take a break from playing sims, what is your gameplay like? Do you still do the same things that you did before you took a break from playing or do you find new things to do? I am currently taking a break and I don't know what to do next. Thanks for any help.

Offline Candyd

• Queen of grilled cheese
  • Occult
Re: Taking a break from Sims?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
Before, I often stopped playing from time to time because I spent too much time in live mode. And I only played the Sims 3. Now, I also like building and creating whole towns, as well as taking screenshots, and I spend only half of my time playing in live mode. And more recently, I started taking interest in modding. I now have the Sims 2, 3 and 4 and I switch between them depending on what I want to do with them. It's hard to get bored if you can switch between games, modes and create your own stuff. If you spend all your time just playing a few families and doing just that, even more with just one version of the Sims, I think you're inevitably going to find it boring at some point and leave for some time, and that would be sad because there is so much more to do than just that, there are plenty of ways to play and to combine.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Peanuts61

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:49:32 PM »
thanks so much candy for your reply. I also have sims 2 and 4 but I just can't seem to get into those. sims 3 is more fun. I don't know maybe it's just me. I have tried all the careers, the adventures but I seem to get bored after a couple of hours of playing. I guess I ought to give sims 4 a try. I have all the expansions except the new stuff with kids and vampires. thanks again!

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:28:02 AM »
Personally, I have sims 2, 3, and 4 and I also do some facebook games. I rarely play sims 2 though. My fav is #3. For #4, I usually wait until the expansion packs, etc... go on sale for half off. Personally, I think that's all it worth. They put half the content in 4 that is in 3 and want to charge more for it. So I wait and pounce on the sales, lol. I actually belong to a facebook group where they create tournaments for the apocalypse challenge. If you ever want a difficult challenge, that is it. You start w/nothing and gradually build up over generations.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »
I switch over to Minecraft and/or TS3 mostly. I dabble in a few other games but gravitate back to minecraft as I really enjoy the balance between creating and surviving, a true sandbox game. I also have a long term Stardew Valley save although recently I let a friend play on it so they could see what the game was about and now I have the urge to start a fresh save, weird! They didn't change that much but enough that I feel disorientated in my own game.  ::)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Candyd

• Queen of grilled cheese
  • Occult
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 03:48:10 PM »
thanks so much candy for your reply. I also have sims 2 and 4 but I just can't seem to get into those. sims 3 is more fun. I don't know maybe it's just me. I have tried all the careers, the adventures but I seem to get bored after a couple of hours of playing. I guess I ought to give sims 4 a try. I have all the expansions except the new stuff with kids and vampires. thanks again!
Just one personal perspective...
You aren't alone, I agree, I have some difficulties playing with TS4 as well. I play much longer with TS3 and TS2, personally, even when I just had their base game. I find that playing in an unusual way helps to prevent getting bored. Maybe with challenges but they aren't my thing because I like mods and cheats too much and I'm not the kind of person who plays 100% vanilla. I prefer making townies, decorating and now changing whole parts of the game's behavior itself, which is improving my experience with it.
In the end, I often choose one or another depending on how much available time I have. It feels like TS3 and to a lesser extent TS2 are best for playing at least for 2 hours or more, TS3 is definitely like this and TS2 is more flexible with how much time is needed for immersion and entertainment. TS4 is more adapted to playing for 30 minutes at a time, 1 hour max IMHO. Personally, I never play it for longer than that unless if I'm testing something. Of course this is just a very personal feeling, so everyone may feel differently about it.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:40:13 AM »
@Peanuts61 I'm actually back this day from a break. I never pick up where I left right away. Fortunately, I have a save where I play the Vatore household casually, so I just mess with their lives for a while when I return to get back into it. I feel guilty for not being very active here however, even though what I do most is just sharing pics and comment.
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:58:45 AM »
my break has been so long that i doubt that anyone remembers me.  reason was frustrated at loss of what had been on old computer and stupidly trusting geek squad to have made a backup copy for me.
also struggling to adapt to totally different play of sims four from sims 3.
i had to take a break, try out totally different games, and i mean totally different, as in realistic looking dinos that want to eat you, taming a bigfoot, a pteranodon, being killed by a giant braver.  ARK: survival was the game, early access,
switched to another, this time living dead, zombies.  except i am a coward, i turned them off and had fun looting and building  LOL.

came back for two reasons sims 4, feel i have been away long enough to have forgotten how to play sims 3 so should be frustrated for different reasons as i learn to play it, that is most important.  what clinched it; tore rotor cuff on left shoulder, can play only with right hand.    missing sims, the forum here so returning. 
which is why typing is so lousy, sentence structure is off as hard to type one handed.  hard to use caps so don't capitalize like i should.  so, please, pretty please overlook bad grammar, spelling and more. 

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
I think my break from Sims 4 will continue indefinitely. It just isn't for me. I think of Sims 4 as the Beyond Earth edition of the Sims franchise ... there to fill in space until Civilization VI (or Sims 5) is released. :D

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 05:05:23 PM »
my break has been so long that i doubt that anyone remembers me.  reason was frustrated at loss of what had been on old computer and stupidly trusting geek squad to have made a backup copy for me.
also struggling to adapt to totally different play of sims four from sims 3.
i had to take a break, try out totally different games, and i mean totally different, as in realistic looking dinos that want to eat you, taming a bigfoot, a pteranodon, being killed by a giant braver.  ARK: survival was the game, early access,
switched to another, this time living dead, zombies.  except i am a coward, i turned them off and had fun looting and building  LOL.

came back for two reasons sims 4, feel i have been away long enough to have forgotten how to play sims 3 so should be frustrated for different reasons as i learn to play it, that is most important.  what clinched it; tore rotor cuff on left shoulder, can play only with right hand.    missing sims, the forum here so returning. 
which is why typing is so lousy, sentence structure is off as hard to type one handed.  hard to use caps so don't capitalize like i should.  so, please, pretty please overlook bad grammar, spelling and more. 

Welcome back, @Janna! And I hope this time things go better for you. Have you tried toddlers yet? (And if so, you probably should write about that on a different thread.)

@Deklitch, I feel guilty because I've been working on my newest Sims story so much that I don't have any time for Civ VI.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 03:55:58 PM »
I have taken a break since the start of 2018 I think. What usually got me playing again was starting with a challenge from the tournaments. Right now I don't really have time for the sims 4, real life gets in the way, but I'm pretty sure that is where I will pick up when I start playing again. For me it's the tournament challenges and the dynasty challenge that keep me interested. I thought I would start playing a lot again when the sims cats and dogs came out, but even that couldn't keep me interested unfortunately.

I tend to play other games, like path of exile and the witcher 3, some PS4 exclusives as well. But at the moment I don't play games at all. I hope to get back into playing games soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 05:16:28 PM »
@MissZoef
You have been missed!
The other day, my sims ran into a Tragic Clown and I remembered your restaurant sceenshots with all the tragic clowns.
The memory made me laugh all over again, though I realize it was far from funny for you at the time.
*waves hello

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 05:25:15 PM »
@MissZoef
You have been missed!
The other day, my sims ran into a Tragic Clown and I remembered your restaurant sceenshots with all the tragic clowns.
The memory made me laugh all over again, though I realize it was far from funny for you at the time.
*waves hello
Aah thanks! :-) Hahah it was pretty funny :-P but also kind of annoying. Glad it got fixed in the end.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 06:37:40 PM »
Good to see you popping in anyway @MissZoef  sometimes a break from gaming really helps to reignite the passion!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 01:17:07 AM »
I often force my self to take breaks, so that I'm not completely engrossed, for months at a time. Often it takes the form of a month off. I usually use a COMPLETELY different type of game, to distract me & get me out of the habit. This often takes the form of a driving game. Sometimes, it takes the form of an old 90's fps game. I used to go to Myst, but that series doesn't do so well, on modern computers.

When I feel like I'm at an impasse, on gameplay, I click the "New Game" button. New world... New Sim... New game. A lot of the fun of game play, is in the very beginning. I like new beginnings & new scenarios. Last time, I took a character from that last game & transplanted him, in an existing game, to somewhat merge the two universes together. That's the first time I tried that. It was interesting starting him in a new & different house and starting him from scratch. Things took a much different path, this time.

Another thing I like to do, is play some of the built-in Townie families & get them up to speed, skill wise. I like modifying their houses to fit their evolving life styles & careers. You could also try working on aspirations. You might try forming a club, so that you can mentor Sims in music, for the Musical Genius aspiration. It might also help, for the "Leader of the Pack" aspiration as well. Boosting unplayed Sims' skills can be fun.

Marcus-M.jpg