Author Topic: How I Solved my Choppy (Slow Speed/Frame) Game  (Read 26454 times)

Offline athena

• Occult
How I Solved my Choppy (Slow Speed/Frame) Game
« on: December 03, 2010, 04:44:59 AM »
Hi! I just wanted to share how I solved the choppy game problem of mine, in the hope that this also works for you.  I was one of the unfortunates who suffered from a choppy game after I installed LN and FL. Choppy means the action pauses for like one to two seconds before it executes, it was a nightmare!  To solve this I've tried to move my video files to another drive, delete files in my game drive to give more space, etc - nothing worked.

By coincidence, one of the Sims in the choppy household had to travel.  So off he went with his grand-daughter to France. I noticed at once that the game speed was normal, movement was fluid in the France world (outside SV).  I figured that it wasn't my computer nor the EP that was causing the choppiness, it was TOWN DECAY (I'm not certain whether I am using the term correctly), but I have noticed that my Sunset Valley was getting over-populated (being the oldest town I played), the original SV populace were elders . I have town progression and aging off (maybe that's the culprit, I don't know).

I figured it was SV that was causing the chopiness. So what I did was to copy each family I created into the family bin (some with their own houses) and some just the families. (It can be a chore if you have many families you want to save). Then I deleted the old/decayed SV, I ended that world.  Then I created a new SV, and put my Sim families there. Now I am happy to report that the speed of my game has returned to normal. ! Hope this post helps some!  ;D  

Offline sdinger70

• Llama Wrangler
Re: How I Solved my Choppy (Slow Speed/Frame) Game
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »
I noticed I was having this issue with my sim who lived in SV, but it carried over when he traveled to China, also. I'll have to remake him and see if it happens again - I think I had aging off, or maybe set to long/epic levels, so that could have been the cause.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »
The only bad thing about that is that all relationships and family ties not in the current household get broken, but I suppose it is worth it if it makes it easier to play the game.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 12:09:16 AM »
I'm moving this to the Technical Help board.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Nilla

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »
This sounds similar to the kind of problem I've been having in a Sunset Valley save lately, with the game running much better when travelling. Unfortunately it's in a dynasty game so I can't use this method now but it might be a way to continue playing the family when the challenge is done. I just wonder if any of your families had deceased sims in the family tree and in that case, did they stay related to the family after they moved?

Offline athena

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »
Hi Nilla, when the family moved, the relationships they had established in the town disappeared.  The Sims outside of the family/household were not shown even in the family tree. It's a good thing I placed a middle name for the children (last name of the father) in memory of their still existing father whose family also moved to Bridgeport! It's still a small price compared to the slow speed of the game which makes playing a real toil.  :)

Offline Nilla

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:02:50 PM »
I suspected that was the case but I haven't really experimented with this myself so I was sort of hoping the family tree would stay the same. Nice to know anyway, I might try to move only the eight family members afterwards and see if they stay related to each other at least. Good idea with adding the middle names in memory.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline athena

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 07:58:50 PM »
Hi! I'm not sure about deceased Sims because the Sim that disappeared from the family tree is still living but part of another household AND had moved out of the neighborhood too (their whole family went to BP to look for fame in the bright city lights  ;D) -- anyway, that's their story. As far as I know the deceased Sims stay in the family tree for as long as their urns or headstones reside in their household, but I'm not 100% ceetain. I hope someone will be able to answer this question because I'm also curious as to what the answer is. Ciao!

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 04:39:41 AM »
I am having a problem which might be similar, but I'm not sure. Everything just seems to be going slower. It took 2 sim hours for my teenager to change the baby's nappy and put her in the high chair. It just seems like the sims are in slow motion - stopping for long periods, and when walking, etc. - like they need to think it through sorta. It's really annoying. Does this sound similar to the "choppy" problem? I am running an entire neighbourhood (with aging and story progression off), so I hope I don't have to move them all into the library and back to a new sunset valley.

Offline Jancy

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 08:24:09 AM »
I have been having the exact same problem with the choppy game play.  I have started a new game with my Sims also
but it seems to start up again with the choppiness, taking forever to get the simplest things done after a couple weeks
of gameplay. 
Whats weird is I had the problem in BBay, to the point was it was just unbearable to play, so I started a new game there
also, then just decided to forget about BB to play BPort. Just yesterday I went into the unbearable BB game to try it and it ran perfectly smooth and believe me I could do nothing before in this game-it was that slow. Odd!
I am noticing now in BP, which I have started a couple of games in-it does get choppy and so slow then out of nowhere it starts to play normal for quite a while, but I do still have the Sims stuck on a lot problem in my Bridgeport games, which I do think is a big cause for the choppy slow gameplay.