Author Topic: Designing Neighborhoods  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
Designing Neighborhoods
« on: March 20, 2017, 05:47:42 AM »
Hello guys,

I was wondering what lots you place where in your games. How does your New Crest look, for instance? Do have spas and restaurants placed somewhere? I can't seem to agree with myself on how to use the empty spaces, yet, I would like to 'fill' the city. I'm looking for inspiration, I guess :)
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Designing Neighborhoods
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 05:54:55 PM »
I split the different lots/venues across the different neighborhoods of Newcrest and Magnolia Promenade. I like to keep the other worlds community lots as they are. I've always played like this and just really hate changing any of the Maxis made lots. I will do some changes like adding in a yoga room in a gym or redecorating the base game nightclub/bars etc. I've yet to find a good use for the lounge and museum in Oasis Springs so those lots I will change one day when we either get some more new useful community lots or maybe just make my own.

Newcrest neighborhoods looks like this: The one with the huge waterfront lot has restaurants, karaoke bar, and the large lot is a park with all the extra sporty stuff like water slide and basketball and one nightclub
Another neighborhood has a science themed library with rocketship etc, the spa day lots and a cafe
The other (the one with a fishing pond) has smaller lots I've made, a Gamers Den, a Garden Center, a pizza 'restaurant' and pool venue and the largest lot will have a bowling alley/venue.

Magnolia Promenade has one NPC run cafe/bakery that has baked goods to buy but also free samples and the GT coffee machine so my sims can eat and drink there too, an underwater restaurant that I downloaded (it is fab!), a vamp hang out/bar and an empty lot... just in case I want to dabble in retail again at some point.

It all seems a bit mixed up but the builds compliment each other so it doesn't look too bad. At one point I had all the nightclubs in one neighborhood and all the restaurants in another etc but it looks much better having a variety as in rl those kinds of places are found next to each other too.

I have this layout saved and called 'Generic World' and I have placed all my fav sims into houses, apartments etc and use this save when I want to start a new game (just place my new sim in it and save it under a new name) as this way I don't have to keep remaking the empty worlds and lots.

The residential lots I change a lot as I enjoy building my sims their personalized houses. The area where Johnny Zest lives always gets a make-over and becomes a bit more mid-century modern and less trashy. The one area I hardly ever change is where the Goths live. But I have some ideas for more vampy/grungy and run down gothic builds that might go there.

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline mandamouse123

• Llama Wrangler
  • I, too, shall look at the stars.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:19:34 PM »
It's funny you should ask this right now!  I am in the middle of building custom lots for all of Newcrest.  So far I have a gym, library, arts center and cafe, plus one family lot.  I'm trying to make them look cohesive, like the pre-built lots, but it's tough.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:19:27 AM »
Awesome! I should see about getting a generic world saved, too. Unfortunately, my imagination abandons me when it comes to building stuff myself. Maybe I should accumulate some knowledge about architecture...when I see some of the buildings made by fellow Simmers, it baffles me to say the least :o Hmm, I'm gonna go experiment. Thanks for sharing Playalot :)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »
@mandamouse123  for me that is the toughest part, trying to make all the build look like they actually belong together! Newcrest is quite frustrating as the old fashioned style backdrop doesn't really suit my preference for modern so I just ignore it!

The only thing against having a 'Generic World' @Nindigo is that if you are a chronic new-game-starter, like I am, it can start to feel like deja vu with all the same pre-placed sims!  (Wait! I thought we were BFF, oh that's right I haven't met you yet in this game...)  ::)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 09:02:06 PM »
@Playalot  ;D We do seem to be very much alike! And I do start a new game all the time, so the idea of at least a saved world seems practical and appealing to me. I can place a Sim copy of you as my BFF as well ;)