Author Topic: Game launches with sound but no image every time Edge Smoothing is OFF  (Read 3098 times)

Offline manuh

• Nooboo
I have a new laptop, in which I had no trouble playing The Sims. Recently, I guess two weeks ago, I launched it and all that loaded was a black screen with sound.
I searched for help and tried to reset the game. Did it multiple times, tried tolaunch it with and without cc, but it was still the same. Today I just discovered the reason why my game goes black: it happens every time when I have edge smoothing turned OFF.
If I have the game open and try to change it in the options, it will freeze and if I change windows, suddenly it goes black. If I try to change my Options.ini file, it already starts on a black screen. I want Edge Smoothing off because I'm using ReShade's DOF shader. and it used to work perfectly... until now. If I turn Edge Smoothing on again changing my options file, there goes the game again. I tried to uninstall ReShade, but it made no difference. Google searches showed that everyone had troubled turning Edge Smoothing ON.
I'm playing on windowed mode. If I substitute my Options file to a default one (Edge Smoothing off + fullscreen) it works ok for some time, but then it crashes at one point. I tried most available solutions on the internet, added the TRSW.exe files to DEP, updated my GPU drivers, except re-installing my game (not looking forward to re-organizate TONS of cc at ccmagic again). I don't undertand why this happens! Maybe my video card doesn't recognize the game when I turn edge smoothing off? Is that even possible?
GPU is a GeForce 940M, if anyone's interested.
Any idea of how can I solve this? Please! Thanks in advance

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Please forgive me if you've tried this already, but have you tried a factory reset and a new game to test to see if that might help?

Try a Factory Reset -- Sims 3 Factory Reset - HowTo:
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg401814#msg401814

Create a New Game
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg401813#msg401813

Also, there are a few tips in this post linked below:

Game won't load - stuck on black screen
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg427342#msg427342

Trying to think of things before trying a full uninstall/reinstall. :)
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline manuh

• Nooboo
Hi MrsFlynn, thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I've already tried the factory reset; and as I said, the reset Options.ini file makes the game load just right, up to a certain point (edge smoothing off + fullscreen on). If I copy this file to my old The Sims 3 folder, it works too. If I change the Options on a reset Sims 3 folder, with no saved games or cc, the second time I tried to load it, the problem's already there.
I just used the clean boot method, the only thing I didn't try, and it made no difference. Suppose it's time to reinstall the game? Should I uninstall it cmpletely,, or can I overwrite my installation?

I want to know the reason of this problem.... is there any possibility for it to be related with my pc/gpu/other software?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
I am not entirely sure if it could be related to your computer's specs (information) or conflicting software on the computer. Conflicting software may be hard to determine if it's causing problems with Sims 3.

If you want, you can share your computer's information. Here's how to to that, in case you're not sure.

How To: Find System Specs - Windows 10, 8 and 7
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=18902.msg354633#msg354633

If you want to try uninstalling/reinstalling it would be better to completely uninstall, run something like Ccleaner and it's registry cleaner and then try reinstalling from there.

Install and/or Uninstall Sims 3, Expansions and Stuff packs
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg425178.html#post_Uninstall
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline manuh

• Nooboo
Well, I spent the major part of my night yesterday uninstallig the game, cleaning the registry and reinstalling it again, and the issue's still here. I tried to do a System Restore... but it failed. I'm really running out of ideas, but all I want is my game to play as it did before.

Here's my specs:

Offline manuh

• Nooboo
So I realized I can change my specs and keep edge smoothing off... as long as I'm in fullscreen mode - which won't let me take screenshots, so, not an option to keep playing like this. This makes more sense than a problem with edge smoothing, I guess. 
I just tried a solution suggested in a board here that tells me to change the resolution in Options to 1440 900 0, but that didn't work. Will search some more solutions now.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Do you have any other games installed that use the Geforce 940M? If not, here are some things to try, if you haven't already:

Try a factory reset again.

Lower all settings to lowest settings. See if you can get into the game either in fullscreen or windowed mode.

Double check the screen resolution. If playing on the laptop screen it needs to be 1366x768 or smaller.

If playing on an external monitor make sure any resolution you use is supported by the monitor if running in full screen.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything