Author Topic: Game is Acting Like a New Installation, but Files Exist on Hard Drive  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Devin

• Occult
I am gobsmacked. I've never had an issue like this before, and it happened before I patched with the December 1st update.

So here's what happened. I clicked the Sims 4 icon on my computer to load up the game, the same as usual. The game loaded, and started to go through the "New Installation" screens that it does, to give you the information about the game and each pack that's installed on the computer. Once I loaded through that, I noticed that I lacked the "new save" plus sign on the home page, and I clicked to go through to the gallery. This informed me that I was in "offline" mode. I clicked to go online, and it told me I had to update Origin. Exited the game, updated Origin, expecting a fix. Loaded the game back up, but I get the same thing.

Confused, and annoyed, I clicked on the gallery button again. My entire library is completely empty, meaning that it also lacks the Maxis defaults that are always on the tray with a new game installation.

Okay. Now I'm annoyed. I have at least one Sim who I adore but have never uploaded to the gallery, and panic mode is starting to set in.

Exit the game, cursing OneDrive, which in which I accidentally deleted a lot of files that I have since restored. Look in the trash can. Nothing in there. Okay, deep breathing. Click to "documents." Then to "Electronic Arts." Then "The Sims 4." Finally to "Tray."

It's all there. Whew. Okay. Click to "Saves." Everything's there.

Now I'm at the WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE?!? point with my game, and I have no answers.

Everything is there on my hard drive, but the game doesn't appear to be accessing it.

Any help?

ETA: I'm running Windows 10 on an Asus Republic of Gamers laptop.

Offline Devin

• Occult
Re: Game is Acting Like a New Installation, but Files Exist on Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 09:47:05 PM »
It seems like what happened is that the area for "Quick Access" -> "Documents" had an empty "Electronic Arts" folder, while "This PC" -> "Documents" -> "Electronic Arts" contained all of my files. So does this mean that I have to have the files in two separate places on my computer for this to work, thus taking up space? I did recently run CCleaner, and it might have cleaned up some temporary files associated with the game, but... seriously?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
Re: Game is Acting Like a New Installation, but Files Exist on Hard Drive
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 11:39:59 PM »
Hi, Devin. Let's see if the Quick Links -> Documents and the This PC -> Documents are pointing to the same place. Right-click on the Quick Links -> Documents and select Properties. Then right-click on This PC -> Documents and also go to Properties. See if they are pointing to the same folder.

Flynn

It seems like what happened is that the area for "Quick Access" -> "Documents" had an empty "Electronic Arts" folder, while "This PC" -> "Documents" -> "Electronic Arts" contained all of my files. So does this mean that I have to have the files in two separate places on my computer for this to work, thus taking up space? I did recently run CCleaner, and it might have cleaned up some temporary files associated with the game, but... seriously?
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!