Author Topic: Thinking About Getting TS3  (Read 3976 times)

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
Thinking About Getting TS3
« on: November 20, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »
I've only played TS4.  However, I would like to experience what open world and driveable cars and toddlers are like, so, I started to wonder about TS3.  I'm only interested in the  base game for TS3 because of the cost of all of the expansions and extra lifeforms --- I don't like scary stuff like vampires.

1 How much does TS3 cost now?  Do I get it through Origin, or this site?

2 Briefly, what comes with  the base game (i.e. lifeforms, worlds)?

3. About how much memory in my hard drive does TS3 take up?

4. Is it very hard to add ceilings to houses?  Is building much harder than in TS4?

Offline Candyd

• Queen of grilled cheese
  • Occult
Re: Thinking About Getting TS3
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 04:20:31 PM »
1 - I got the game shortly after its release on GameTree Mac (which is dead now) so I can't answer this. I have no idea of the price now.
2 - You have one world, Sunset Valley, and once you have registered the game you can download one world on the store for free, Riverwiew. And there are many custom worlds available, a large number is base game compatible. Life states are human and ghost. I strongly recommend to add the Seasons EP to have a more realistic world (it also adds aliens but they aren't annoying, so you can easily ignore them if you want to) and also Pets if you want pets and another world that looks more rural (Appaloosa Plains, which I find beautiful). The rest is more optional but I find that there are essential realistic elements missing without seasons and pets. I know that there are packs including the base game with seasons, maybe with pets too.
3 - Base game : about 7 GB without its associated folder. Base game + all add-ons : 31.7 GB. My associated folder : 40 GB, but I'm a CC hoarder LOL.
4 - Adding ceiling is adding a new floor without walls. And you can add a roof (which is automatically enabled but you can disable auto-roofs). It's really simple. Building mode is very intuitive.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »
@Candyd --- Thank you so much for all of your responses!  They were very informative  :)!  I think I saw that TS3 costs about $20, but I'll look around some more. 

It seems like ceilings won't be too hard to construct --- and my computer can definitely deal with 7GB and whatever, the associated folder and game saves require.

TS3 sounds like I would really like it, so, I'm going to buy it now! 

Thanks again,

Coolsim

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 07:07:23 AM »
TS3 is nothing short of great if you ask me. I play with Seasons installed - it adds a fantastic atmosphere, especially during autumn and winter which are beautiful. Supernatural and Pets are also among my favorites :) The simlish language is a bit different, but still shares some key words like Sul Sul and Dag Dag. There is plenty of humor in TS3 as well!

I know you're already playing as I write this. Have loads of fun, @coolsim9999999  *thumbs up*
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 11:29:48 AM »
TS3 is nothing short of great if you ask me. I play with Seasons installed - it adds a fantastic atmosphere, especially during autumn and winter which are beautiful. Supernatural and Pets are also among my favorites :) The simlish language is a bit different, but still shares some key words like Sul Sul and Dag Dag. There is plenty of humor in TS3 as well!

I know you're already playing as I write this. Have loads of fun, @coolsim9999999  *thumbs up*
@Nindigo --- I played TS3 all day yesterday.  It is so cool 8)

The only thing it's going to take a while to get used to is the rotate button and how it's less automatic than TS4 (like no automatic counters, etc.)

I'm having a lot of fun playing TS3 though.  It was nice to play with a toddler and teach her everything and have my Sims drive their own car.  I used the money cheat, and moved my TS3 Sim family into a big house that I built (with a pool and diving board and everything) at 15 Summer Hill Court.

I thought that Simlish in TS3 had a little more French (I'm fluent) and Dutch (I'm and intermediate) sounding words in it, and the Sims have good personalities.  I was able to pick the traits of my toddler Sim, and now, she has an A in school and is on the honor roll.  She even picked a lifetime wish of Chess Legend --- which I accepted. 

I think I'm just going to stick with the base game because I don't like spooky stuff, am terrified of dogs and I put too much stuff outside that should be inside to get Seasons --- although, I'll bet it's beautiful, as you said.  Thanks for pack suggestions, anyway!

Offline Candyd

• Queen of grilled cheese
  • Occult
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »
If sometimes you have problems with the rotate button, you can enter and exit tab mode to control the angle with precision with your mouse. TS3 has great camera controls. I've become a bit obsessed with taking atmospheric screenshots like this lately, and floating in the sky as if I could fly <3 I even like following them placing the camera inside rabbit holes or inside their cars so I can see the inside and take pictures of sims driving !
Je suis française, tu es française aussi ?

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
If sometimes you have problems with the rotate button, you can enter and exit tab mode to control the angle with precision with your mouse. TS3 has great camera controls. I've become a bit obsessed with taking atmospheric screenshots like this lately, and floating in the sky as if I could fly <3 I even like following them placing the camera inside rabbit holes or inside their cars so I can see the inside and take pictures of sims driving !
Je suis française, tu es française aussi ?
@Candyd --- Thanks for explaining how to deal with the game when the rotate button is acting up  :).  It's usually fine.  Wow! You can place the camera inside their cars and see them drive?  That's awesome.

Non, je ne suis pas française.  Moi, je suis americaine, mais j'ai étude la langue français en école pour beaucoup d'ans, alors, maintainant, je parle couramment le français :).  Je l'adore!!! ;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 03:02:31 PM »
Hi coolsim. Hope I'm not too late to give you this info. Steam has really low prices on TS3 this weekend.  Bundles for as low as 12 $ and change to 4.00 for an EP.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/47890/

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 03:41:28 PM »
Thanks a lot, @RunAmokSims :)!  I am still deciding which packs to get, but I guess I better figure it out.

Do you know if stuff packs are on sale, as well.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 03:45:51 PM »
Thanks a lot, @RunAmokSims :)!  I am still deciding which packs to get, but I guess I better figure it out.

Sims VIP says it's all of the packs.

https://simsvip.com/2016/11/23/steam-sale-purchase-sims-3-titles-5-2/

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »

Sims VIP says it's all of the packs.

https://simsvip.com/2016/11/23/steam-sale-purchase-sims-3-titles-5-2/

@RunAmokSims --- Thanks a lot.  I found it.  I'm going to get Town Life Stuff now.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »
Just to add my  2 cents worth, if you get Pets, you don't have to have a dog or a cat; you can have horses and participate in horse racing or jumping. In the last tab on Options, the is a double silhouette icon. When you click on that, you can dictate which creatures you do and do not want. If you have Pets, you can uncheck werewolves, if you have Late Night, you can uncheck vamps and then they will never show up at all. At the bottom of this window, you will see lunar cycles. If you set the moon cycle to a single phase you won't get zombies which come out during full moons unless of course, you set it at a full moon. I think they only exist though if you have supernatural. Ultimately, you have the control over which creatures you see or don't see. In World Adventures your sim can travel to Al Simhara inEgypt, Shang Simla in China, or Champ Les Sims in France. If you choose to travel, there is an adventure board at your home location. There are tombs to explore. Be careful though in those b/c there are many hidden traps. There are many guides to these online too. If you do the adventures, you can haul in a whole bunch of money and artifacts of which some are very valuable. On the good side of supernatural though, you have fairies. Island Paradise added a new world plus mermaids and diving under the ocean in certain spots. The outlying islands are shrouded and you have to do quests to unlock them. Seasons also brings gardening which is great! Generations brought bunk beds and kids and teens can pull pranks, but if you child or teen misses school, they will be yelled at. Into the Future enables your sim to travel to the future. If you don't like vamps or weres, you should not buy Midnight Hollow or Moonlight Falls. Those worlds come w/vamps and weres. It's possible though to use a mod to make them all human. That's all for now.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 03:43:55 PM »
@Sonshine ---Thanks a lot for letting me know that I may turn off the options for lifeforms, which I do not want to appear 8).  At Christmas, when there is another sale, then, maybe I will be able to purchase additional TS3 packs.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 11:52:08 PM »
Yw! You can also turn off celebrities if you want or you can opt your family out of it. You can also uncheck the box for the interactive loading screen which tends to bog things down.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 01:06:20 AM »
Yw! You can also turn off celebrities if you want or you can opt your family out of it. You can also uncheck the box for the interactive loading screen which tends to bog things down.
@Sonshine --- Thanks a lot :)!