Author Topic: Builder's Tips, Tricks and How-To Plus Decorating Ideas Updated With Links  (Read 12923 times)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
You can go nuts trying to figure out how to do something in Sims4, especially if you are used to building in Sims3.  So I thought we should start a thread where our great builders can share their tips, tricks and how to do things. 

For instance, I only learned today that if I download a lot that has #moo in it's description, I have to download that lot via Build/Buy and not any other way.  Why?  Because if you don't, the resized or slightly placed off square items will be moved to grid or sized  back down to normal size.

Moo, (bb.moveobjects on/off) is a builder's friend.  But remember to turn it off after use. As it can mess up your game.

1. For instance, no lounge chairs for your pool?  Simple, place a comfy chair and snug an ottoman right up against the chair seat.  You will have something that LOOKS like a lounge.  Your Sims will only be able to sit on the ottoman but at least it will look right. 

2. Want a nice display area but nothing is quite right and those tiny shelves won't hold anything?  Resize shelves and place on walls snugged up between two book cases, armoires or hutches.  Place some counters under and you now have a nice area to display your chatchkes or turn into an entertainment center.

3. If you've placed a house that was previously built by you or someone else and your household can't get into the house. Make sure there are steps up to the door, if that doesn't help, replace the door.

4. Due to a patch that came out in late 2018, players can now have different foundation heights on different buildings on the same lot.

To change the foundation height, select a room and in the middle you will see up/down arrows that you can drag to change the height.

What tips, tricks or how tos do you have?  How about explaining some of those fancy roofs I still can't make?

More building tutorials below:

Quick Links

Building Bridges by Indira

Star Shaped Roof by Twinmum

Create Custom Paintings by Simply Ruthless  NOTE:  This leads to an already approved site.  Please do not publish sites that have not been approved by Moderators or Admins.

Creating A Seamless Mirror Wall by Grimsoul

Pillars How To by Twinmum

Tutorial for Split Level by Dellena
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Dellena

Re: Builder's Tips, Tricks and How-To
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
If you can hold on for just a few days, there's a whole Build Mode guide coming out courtesy of Twinmum. :)  I know she's put a lot of work into it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:35:22 PM »
WOW!  That's going to be terrific. Thanks for the heads up.

----------
My No Buy Story

Dellena

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 03:36:30 AM »
I'd also say that the couple things you mentioned would fall more under decorating tips.  I love seeing these types of things.  Also, I sometimes use a house building game that I have and I'll check out cool builds from the gallery in detail by actually downloading them to an appropriate lot.  I've learned some cool tricks or ideas from looking at other builder's works.  The pictures on the gallery don't always do them justice so I like to get in them and have a good poke around. :D

Offline mydogthesenator

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 05:59:30 PM »
Is there a link to this guide by twinmum?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 06:07:30 PM »
The Sims 4 Building Basics: Build Mode Guide for Beautiful Homes
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline XxMousiexX

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 02:21:11 PM »
Okay the reason for my tip on build trick is: I was building a house from the Sims 3 xbox 360 console and I was looking for Light's to sit on the fence I didn't find any. But I did come across a picture of a post for some Paper Petals that someone had sitting on Lily Pad's and I though how cool now how did they do that? I though and though was gonna ask but wasn't a member to ask. So I kept thinking and playing with my MOO cheats and I got it. For anyone who want's to try it on the pool's or Fountains. 

Link for Paper Petals Lights

http://omorfi-mera.tumblr.com/post/121848727438/misc-lights-modified-ea-meshes-resized-and

Build your pool or fountain put your Lily pads in. Turn on your MOO & your hidden object cheats. In build mode find the Square Room that cost 0 dollars first square under Square Room Diagonal put it in your pool under your Lily's and resize it. I found that one square under my lily's worked for me. Still with MOO on then put your light on that one square after you place the light take your square pool and place it on top of that square with your lily pad & light and there you have it floating light's on lily's.  Just repeat for each lily you have.

My Floating Lily's with Paper Petal's

Floating Light 1

Floating Light 2

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 10:08:18 PM »
Hi @Joria

I like how you started the 'How-To-Build' thread. It is very useful especially for those still new to building. I'd like to share my input as well.

I made a short guide on how to make bridges that are both beautiful to look at as part of your landscaping and is practical as well, since Sims can walk over it.

If I may, I'd like to make a suggestion. Can you group and link the short 'guides/how-to' at the top page(first post) so that they are easily found when people read this topic? I often notice that useful posts are buried underneath all the comments and the many pages created thereafter. Since this thread is still new, and still has few posts, I believe it is still easy to do this.

At the moment, I posted the 'how-to guide' on making bridges outside this thread. Can a moderator transfer it later? Thanks. :)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 12:35:15 AM »
You can copy your how to, then come here and select "modify" your post and paste in the copied how to.  I'll try to do as you asked.  Bad headache today so will be later.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline alwayslanie

• Nooboo
I need help building homes in the sims 4, I always have a hard time.

anything