Author Topic: Sims 4 crashing with Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 3965 times)

Offline StephieSims

• Nooboo
Sims 4 crashing with Windows 10 upgrade
« on: July 20, 2016, 07:15:47 AM »
Since I've upgraded my laptop to Windows 10, The Sims 4 has been randomly crashing and my laptop restarts itself. I searched this problem online and found a Windows driver issue called DPC_Watchdog_Violation. I updated the Microsoft iastor.sys driver as per the instructions I found and it worked for about 3 weeks, but recently the game has been crashing again. I don't always remember to save and I've lost hours of gameplay recently. This is especially concerning since I've just started competing in this forum's Challenges.

I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 issue or a Sims 4 issue, but it ONLY happens when I'm playing Sims 4. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, do you know of something other than the "fix" offered by Microsoft which is obviously not working?

Laptop specs summary:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 2.40GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX
SSD 1TB

Thanks for your help!!  :)
When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Sims 4 crashing with Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 11:02:08 AM »
Is there any current error messages given?

There wasn't any mention of troubleshooting. Have a look at the tips post linked below to see if any of these will help.

General Crashing Issues
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21899.msg408903#msg408903
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline StephieSims

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 06:32:08 AM »
I'm not getting an error message from The Sims 4, just a Windows error message. I'll try to attach a pic of the error message to this post.

Thanks for the crashing issues link, I've done everything suggested.  :)IMG_2437.jpg
When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:53:23 AM »
From what I've researched this is a problem with one of the drivers. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with Sims.

I've listed a couple of links below that have some suggestions to try.

[Solved] DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION Blue Screen Window
http://firstandgeek.com/solved-dpc-watchdog-violation-blue-screen-window/

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Blue Screen in Windows 10
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/dpc_watchdog_violation-blue-screen-in-windows-10

Unfortunately we don't have the expertise to diagnose this problem further.  However, you can try this (TechSupportForum.com) forum to see if they can help. 

Look in their Microsoft support forum and the first link is the forum for diagnosing blue screens.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline StephieSims

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 02:30:10 AM »
Thanks so much, I really appreciate all your help!  :D

anything