Author Topic: The Chains of Lyra: OLD THREAD  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
The Chains of Lyra: OLD THREAD
« on: May 22, 2016, 11:17:05 PM »

Stuff to be Aware of:

• This site is hosted on WordPress. New-ish preference of mine. If nothing else, the text is bigger there and it looks better on mobile than the forums do. Also, as of May 22nd, the blog is still kind of under construction in terms of setting up pages. But reading chapters themselves should be easy.
  • While upwards of 80% of this story is shot in TS4, I use TS3 for a few pictures. I have both games installed and enjoy them both, and while I have my deep reasons for using TS3 for flashbacks, a lot of it can be chalked up to "the four main characters are recycled from old/not-so-old TS3 stories of mine, so obviously that's where their past is". But it still counts as a TS4 story to me. ;)
  • Although this is based off concepts and characters from old stories of mine (listed below), no prior reading is required. I don't even know if it would be all that beneficial, because I take creative liberties when I feel like I should. Which is a lot.
Related Stories (might have broken images, but fixing them is on my to-do list!):

The Ironstar Immortals
Eight Avoided Graves
The Rust Life States Dynasty
Eight Cicadas (no link here, please PM)

Chapters

Chapter 1: "Vega and the Diplomat"
Chapter 2: "Peers, Perhaps"
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Chains of Lyra: Chapter 1, "Vega and The Diplomat" (5/22)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »

Chapter 1: Vega and the Diplomat

“For what my word’s worth, no one could have predicted that.”

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 11:25:27 PM »
Reposted from my author's notes and "Characters" page, but a bit of context about Vega, for handy reference on the forum:

Vega Ironstar de Lyra

Original Story: The Ironstar Immortals

Bio: Vega was born as the daughter of a high-ranking immortal alien and a human father. She prefers to claim the former as her sole heritage, which almost worked. After a few interstellar successes on behalf of the Sixth Court of Antares, Vega failed to make to assemble the immortal army she promised to. As a last resort for employing her, the Court has sent Vega to tend to an abandoned collection of Antarean buildings.

Although gifted with limited powers of mind-reading and clairvoyance, Vega’s reputation isn’t the best for leadership. She’s worrysome, glum, and cold. And something is going to suffer, whether it’s the fate of a new colony, her teammates, or just her. Things fell apart at her old home in Twinbrook from her own fears and feuds, after all.

"While I do have a 'Characters' page up that describes a lot of this stuff, Vega was originally a character from an older story of mine, The Ironstar Immortals. It was a TS3 Immortal Dynasty that I failed, albeit not for anyone’s death. But between that and switching her species and lore from 'void demon' to 'space demon', I change what I want to. Ideas evolve after 3+ years."

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
  • Mother knows best, Rapunzel
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
I was wondering if you would ever consider writing and posting a Sims 4 story and I'm so glad that you did! Janda's smile creeps me out so from my point of view it worked out, sometimes characters that are supposed to be reserved all 'look' the same so it was better to see something sinister instead. Sorry for rambling, lol.
Chant: Life States (TS3) / Immortal Dynasty (TS4)

Mother Gothel & Baba Yaga Enthusiast

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 01:03:58 AM »
Good start Trip.  Always enjoy your writing.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 09:12:56 AM »
What's a month's hiatus between friends, huh? ;)

I was wondering if you would ever consider writing and posting a Sims 4 story and I'm so glad that you did! Janda's smile creeps me out so from my point of view it worked out, sometimes characters that are supposed to be reserved all 'look' the same so it was better to see something sinister instead. Sorry for rambling, lol.

I'm here at last!

It is creepy to me in a different way, as Janda implies that she's just programmed to do that (however organic vs. artificial she is and how the rest of the species is is kinda ambiguous). Though she does mean well and may just be the interstellar equivalent of a political brown-noser.

Good start Trip.  Always enjoy your writing.

Thanks. <3

---

Chapter 2: Peers, Perhaps

"Not all hybrids are created equally, Bear."

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Chains of Lyra: Chapter 2, "Peers, Perhaps" (6/24)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 11:26:38 AM »
And characters that'll matter to 2012-era readers (thanks for believing in me):

Cadmium Jiang Rust

Original Story: The Rust Life States Dynasty

Bio: Cadmium is proud of a heritage she never knew. Abandoned by her Antarean mum, pretty much ignored by her human dad, and none too pleased with her first husband, she instead made herself known among the supernaturals and other weirdos of Northern Clallam. Although she thought that she had a wonderful legacy going on, she abandoned it upon her second husband’s death.

She’s no alien mastermind, but Cadmium has the street smarts to make it on Earth. Her perpetual high spirits and good humor make her a magnet for friendship and romance. It’s not a technician’s skill set, but Cadmium never asked for much more.

Cadmium Jiang/Rust/Wolff (whatever) was the founder of a Life States Dynasty, creatively called The Rust Life States Dynasty, though I initially created her for a for-fun neighborhood where she was the unhappy wife of a wealthy tech mogul. She was a comically disappointed slave to my whims in the dynasty, though I go for spirited wannabe-funny girl here.

Willow Grave

Original Story: Eight Avoided Graves

Bio: Willow was part of any “routine” immortal dynasty, born to her hybrid father and human mother. While she was holding her own as an athlete and a mother to her own darling son, her nervous father couldn’t handle the pressure of his job. And it turned out that he went against orders and found himself in a lot of trouble before much time passed at all. While Willow had trouble with his worries and outbursts, she always wished better for him.

Keeping the peace is Willow’s biggest concern now. After years of caring for friends and family, it comes naturally for her to do the same to some new strangers. It helps when all this alien stuff is simply alien to her too.

Willow Grave was originally the second generation in an old Immortal Dynasty, Eight Avoided Graves (check out dat pun). I don’t think she had much of a personality, especially compared to everyone else. I wrote her as a little disgruntled, I guess? But I rarely write characters that aren’t, so yeah. I’m trying to go for mellow/voice of reason here, but we’ll see how this goes.

She was indeed an athlete (though a martial artist/acrobat). And actually the hardest of the four to recreate in TS4. She got a lot of her dad’s strong features, and heck, her dad was a pretty difficult man to create in TS3.

Samira Racket

Original Story: Eight Cicadas

Bio: Samira was born as the second child to her secret-keeping immortal mother and her elderly father. The latter died before she could remember him at all, and the former…well, they went on cool missions together! Once she got over the angst of being the second-fiddle to her older brother, Samira led and still leads a fine life of handling dead bodies and keeping tabs of Antarean technology on Earth.

She’s brash, but Samira is best defined by her social nature and kindness. She never wanted the ravages of immortality to affect her and does her best to remain unaffected, even when no one else is.

Samira Racket is probably the most well-known of these ladies, as she’s actually in another active story too, currently being the cute spare kid in Eight Cicadas...I guess this story is a pretty big spoiler for Samira’s lifespan. However, she’s the character here who also has the most of an existing personality to work off of. Even though she’s about six so far in Cicadas, I know what she’s supposed to be: upbeat, kind, but also a brash rule-breaker.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Chains of Lyra: Chapter 2, "Peers, Perhaps" (6/24)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 12:10:17 AM »
I'm moving this story to a new thread. It's so I can more seamlessly cross-post chapters as forum posts and WordPress posts. I have a feeling that doing both would be best.

See you soon! Like, probably in less than an hour. :P

anything