Author Topic: Best Computer?  (Read 3815 times)

Offline GACLove14

• Llama Wrangler
Best Computer?
« on: June 20, 2016, 10:09:29 PM »
So which computers are good for Sims 4? I found a few online (Best Buy and Walmart) that seem good, but I'm no expert. And standing around in a store waiting for an employee to help out, is not something I want to do because of health issues that make me feel crappy/tired a lot of the time.  :(

If anyone can make some suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.  :)

And what is this site all about? How will I know, if I don't even have the computer yet?
http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
Re: Best Computer?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 10:43:05 PM »
Hi, GACLove14. Welcome to the forum! :)

You have a little more latitude in picking a desktop computer over a laptop as you can add components as needed. With that said, I'll head over to the site in a few moments and see what's available and post another reply shortly.
So which computers are good for Sims 4? I found a few online (Best Buy and Walmart) that seem good, but I'm no expert. And standing around in a store waiting for an employee to help out, is not something I want to do because of health issues that make me feel crappy/tired a lot of the time.  :(

If anyone can make some suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.  :)

The site you linked below is great to check to see if the power supply you have will handle new components. For instance, the graphics card we usually recommend for Sims 3 and Sims 4 (nVidia GTX 750 Ti) requires about a 450 watt power supply. Once you get a new computer you can list the components in your system on this site to determine if the power supply is adequate or not.
And what is this site all about? How will I know, if I don't even have the computer yet?
http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Hope this helps and happy Simming! :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:18:32 PM »
Here's some suggestions:

Best Buy
CyberPowerPC System #1
AMD FX 4300 3.8 GHz processor with AMD R7 270 graphics card and 8 GB memory.

This system should play the game quite well, along with Sims 3. On sale for $399.99 US, so not too bad of a price.

CyberPowerPC System #2
AMD FX 8320 3.5 GHz processor with AMD R7 250 graphics card and 16 GB memory.

Similar to the above system but more. Also on sale for $599.99.

Wal-Mart
Thanks to MrsFlynn for putting this list together. 8)

CyberPowerPC Black/Red Gamer Ultra GUA3700W Desktop PC = $890.86
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPowerPC-Black-Red-Gamer-Ultra-GUA3700W-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-Vishera-FX-8320-Octa-Core-Processor-16GB-Memory-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home/46272290

- AMD Vishera FX-8320 Octa-Core processor 3.50GHz
- 16GB DDR4 SDRAM system memory
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Graphics with 4GB dedicated video memory

==========

iBUYPOWER Gamer WA563R7 Black Desktop PC = $499.00
http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBUYPOWER-Gamer-WA563R7-Black-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-Six-Core-FX-6300-Vishera-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home-Monitor-Not-Incl/35119953

- AMD Six-Core FX-6300 Vishera Processor,
- 8GB
- AMD R7-250 Graphics with 2GB graphics memory

It is likely these systems are not available directly in store, however both Best Buy and Wal-Mart have site to store shipping, so you should be able to order online and pick it up in the store.

Flynn

Offline GACLove14

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 03:08:23 PM »
Thanks so much for the computer options!  ;D

I ran the $400 one on that power supply website, and it suggested I buy an EVGA. Is this something I actually have to buy? It says the CyberPowerPC comes with a power cord. I don't understand the difference between the two. I also have a surge protector that I plan on plugging it into (if that matters).

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Continuous-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU?ie=UTF8&tag=xov-20

And if it's not too much trouble, I was hoping you might know which monitor would work best with that first PC you listed? I would prefer one with the touch screen feature, but it's not necessary.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 09:46:24 PM »
Hi, GACLove14. Looking at the Q&A section of the site, the computer has a 350w power supply, which is barely adequate for the components. It will run okay, until you run something demanding on it, then it could easily overdraw the power supply. So, I would recommend getting the updated power supply. You can replace the power supply without voiding the computer's warranty, or you could pick up a decent power supply at Best Buy and have Geek Squad install it if you're not comfortable fiddling with the internal bits, heh.

As for the difference between the two computers, the $600 model has more memory, more hard drive space and a better processor. The graphics card is about the same. The power supply is also the same, so you definitely want to replace the power supply at the moment you purchase it, or very shortly after - don't run Sims 3 or Sims 4 on it until you replace the power supply. EVGA and Corsair are great brands for power supplies with good reputations for quality parts.

For the monitor, it is more of a personal choice - what may look good to me may not look all that great to you. Most monitors will work pretty well for games as they support 60 Hz refresh. I would recommend looking at the monitors at Best Buy and see what kind of color and picture they have. You want a monitor that has decent looking blacks and color that doesn't smear or bleed at object edges (what is called over saturation). Another option is an inexpensive LCD TV makes a great monitor.

Unless you are getting into high-end gaming, you shouldn't need to worry about Ultra HD monitors or 144 Hz refresh rates. In this case a simple full HD display is the better option (1920 x 1080 - referred to as 1080p). As for touchscreens, there are several models available. I don't know about in-store availability, but you can find several online. Whether touchscreen or not, some good brands are Dell, ASUS, Acer, HP and ViewSonic.

As for TVs, if you want to go that route, Vizio and Samsung make great displays. Samsung is pricey compared to Vizio, but their picture quality is excellent. I use a large-ish Vizio TV as my computer monitor and really like it.

Flynn

Offline GACLove14

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 12:25:23 AM »
Thanks again Flynn. I really appreciate all the help.  ;D

anything