Author Topic: Problems of saved game not showing up in main menu  (Read 10069 times)

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Problems of saved game not showing up in main menu
« on: September 01, 2013, 10:18:40 AM »
I was confused when I went to start the game up.  Go to the selection of games, I save mine with numbers,  1, 1.2, 1.3, and so on.  I was at 4.7 saved the game and wanted to do an experiment played couple of minutes saved as 4.7a did my experiment and then signed out without saving game. Played some more and saved as normal, at 4.8.

Went back later and forgot I had saved the last game as 4.8, played some more, saved as 4.8, says there is a save, so save it as 4.9.
Later I go to play and it is showing up as 4.7a, I played for a couple of minutes tried to save as 4.8 and again it says saved, save as 4.9 says is saved, so saved at 5.  Went to play and started from 4.7 confused, but figured I had forgotten to save with new numbers.

Play a couple of hours and save as 4.8, already saved, go with save as 4.9 already saved, go with 5 and says already saved go back to game and go the save as and quit, asked if want to overwrite say yes and quit.  Played late last night, couldn't sleep.  Saved as before, go through the numbers and save as 5.1 and then quit.

Just got on and know that I have saved as 5.1 and it isn't showing up.  Only 4.7a and the earlier numbers, 4.7, 4.6, 4.5 and on.

What happened to the other saves, how can I get them back? 
This is a story project, and I am very frustrated.  That is several hours of playing that seems to be gone. 

Offline Zyffyr

• Townie
Re: problems of saved game not showing up in main menu
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »
There is a limit to how many will show up on the list. You have apparently hit it.  Remove some older ones from the Sims3/Saves directory - either delete them or just move them elsewhere if you want to hold onto them.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:00:38 PM »
That would make sense if I had a lot, but I have saved towns that have had four generations, with the numbers up to 10s in saves. I had just recently cleaned out a lot of my old saves and deleted a LOT of games not played any more.  I have even less than half of what I had before this happened. 

So, that isn't the answer, when I was saved at 2.something and had twice as many saved files, now at 4.7 and only five game families instead of 11, it has to be something else.  Plus, the number is at 4.7 but I delete earlier saves, the saves from 1 to 4.2 have been deleted, I keep the last five saves in case I have to go back. 

In order to save them I have moved them to another town, but I am still frustrated at what I had lost and want to know why and what to do if it ever happens again.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »
Have you looked at the actual game files?  I'm curious if those files somehow got corrupted or something.  Also, you're scrolling all the way across on the Main Menu to see all the files available, right? 

To look at the actual files (for PC), use Explorer and go to this path:  Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Saves.  Look in that Saves folder and see if your missing saves are showing up there.  If so, look closely and see if they have .bad in the name or anything unusual and different from the other good saves.  Let us know the result and maybe we can help further.

Also, I'm moving this to the Technical Help board because it's not about actual game play issues.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Re: Problems of saved game not showing up in main menu
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »
I guess I am one of the 49% that has to get moved.  Sorry about that.

Checked and there isn't any that has bad on them.  They all have letters and numbers such as  1a5tf1l3.dat or nhd and some have the title of China_0x0859db4c.nhd
and then China_0x0859db4cExportDB.package

That is in a lot of them and I am having trouble in being able to travel to China or any of the other countries.  Keep getting the opportunities to go there, but just refuse them

Could that be part of the problem, my not being able to go to the other countries?

On a side note, there are a LOT of files there, can I delete the ones that I will never use again?  Games and created sims that I have deleted from the main menu, would it hurt to delete those files?

Offline Zyffyr

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 01:01:29 AM »
If you are seeing things with .dat and .nhd at the end, you are looking one level to deep. Those are part of a specific save. The whole folder containing those files is the save.

The ones mentioning China are how it stores information about what has happened in China - what adventures you have done there, your Visa level, the current status of all the residents, etc.

In your Sims 3/Saves directory is where you might find the stuff ending in .bad, also it is the place where having to many things showing up causes the game to not show all your saves.

A save called "SaveGame1" inside the sims will be a folder named SaveGame1 at this level. Everything inside that folder is a part of it, and nothing for you to worry about.

Any folder that has .bad added to the end is unusable and won't show up in game.

If you have folders here for things that you deleted in-game or otherwise do not want, then go ahead and delete or move them. Just don't touch the individual files inside any folder that you are keeping.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 02:52:56 AM »
Zyffyr is right that you are one level too deep.  You're looking at the files that belong to one specific save.  Go back a level where you can see the names of your save games.  That's where to look for oddities like "bad" being in the name.

Be careful about deleting anything.  If you're not 100% sure what you're doing, then don't do it.  Come back here for advice.  :)

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »
The saves are under the family name of Haynes
MVHaynes RTJ4.2sims3 and on with the next number in the sequence.  Some have titles such as  MVHaynes RTJ4.9sims3backup  They go all the way up to the 5.2 my last save.

No bad in any of the files. 

Don't know what is going on.  Moved the heir and family to MF and so far the saves are working fine. 

I am pinpointing the start of a lot of problems after I installed IP, I am wondering if it is connected.  And if I would need to uninstall it and then reinstall it.  I will lose items used in other games is what has me hesitating, but if I  have to I will.

As for deleting the other files, they are games that I had played quite some time back and don't ever intend to play again, some were tests just to check something out, found the answer and don't need anymore.  Some of are practice games of a new town, such as IP where I wanted to learn my way around and just created a sim and town for that purpose. Not planning on every using them again as I gave them lots of points to give them LTR to let me try things out. 

Offline Angélique

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 10:42:55 AM »
There is a limit to how many will show up on the list. You have apparently hit it.  Remove some older ones from the Sims3/Saves directory - either delete them or just move them elsewhere if you want to hold onto them.

Do you, or anyone else, know exactly what that limit is? And if so, is it the same number of saves for everybody, or is it depending on how powerful your computer is, like it is with the number of sims who could visit a community lot at the same time?

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 12:37:45 PM »
I don't know much about limit of saves, I have played personal dynasties up to five generations, with in some eight sims in the house at the same time.  Once a family was established I never had below six in the house after the first generations.  I was at save 10.? when I had to uninstall a lot of games, around three families in each town, the smallest was at third generation with a save at 5. ? 
Mansions were three stories, six or more bedrooms with own bathrooms plus two master bedrooms with double bathrooms, two nurseries, one downstairs and one on second floor.  Extra full bathroom on each floor, alchemy room, exercise room, martial art room, formal living room, family room, formal dinning room, family dining area, library/study (good size, five desks for computers, five or more bookshelves, chairs and other items) small rec area, indoor pool, at least five fireplaces, grill area outside, playground outside, good size pond with quiet area to sit and relax, three car garage.  This was with most of my families so I am figuring that it would have taken up a lot of space. 
Along with several single families, created four gardens to use in town games, and several single sims in towns to use as mates if needed. 
I had probably three times more than what I have now and I was starting to have problems and later realized it was connected to something other than the sim games. 
And my computer is four or five years old. 

That is why I can't see that as the problem, my largest families are at three generations and I have only two of them, the rest are single or second generations, around five of them; not counting my three project families, with each at the second generation and in much smaller homes.  I have 10 families that have three kids in each family.  They are seed families. 

Offline tirsden

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 03:28:58 PM »
I know this is an old post but I just hit this problem today and found this thread via google. I started a treehouse build yesterday and started the game up today to find only the initial saved game with the empty lot showing (and any older saves from other games/legacies were still there); I was missing 5 saves of treehouse build progress. As far as I could tell, the other treehouse save folders weren't corrupted, they just didn't show up in-game.

Zyffyr is correct, it looks like the save game limit for Sims 3 is 100 saves. It's something like 20 on the console back when I played on the 360, so 100 is definitely an upgrade but was a bit of a confusing surprise until I tried deleting a few old test games as per Zyffyr's suggestion. Thanks! :D