Author Topic: Tablets  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Tablets
« on: November 12, 2015, 01:58:22 PM »
This doesn't pertain to sims really, but I know that I can find the info I need here from ones who do know about electronics.  I hope it is okay to ask for help here, if not, would the moderators let me know and I will delete this. 

Hubby and I are thinking of surprising our son with a tablet.  I know that they aren't at the level of laptops or computers to do the heavy games, such as Fallout, but something he can do some gaming on.  The electricity went out the other day for just over four hours.  Then, after we thought it was gong to be okay, it went out again for five hours.  For hubby and me not too bad, we went to bed.  For him, he had slept most of the day and so had a long evening of nothing to do. 

He will have to have a large screen (looking at 10 inch) in order to play games on it and no strain to read it and I'm trying to keep it around $250 to $300.  I've been checking them out at Amazon, and one concern is what many call bloating, wasted space with ads and junk he would never use, such as Skype.  He social phobic with agoraphobic tendencies (hardly ever goes out in public) and think that taking selfies is a bit narcissistic  ;D 
He has mentioned wanting one to use when he has to take his dad to physical therapy for me; give him something to do while waiting.  He wants to use it to look up stuff for his games (such as the new Fallout) for maps and such while he is playing.  His computer died, and it will be a while before we can get him another one.  We can come up with approx. $300 for a tablet, but not $6,000 for a computer right now.   

Suggestions?  Tips to help me pick out something for him?  I asked him what he wanted and he said he didn't have any real knowledge about tablets, his focus has been on computer and gaming systems.

Thanks for any help that can be given to me.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Tablets
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 07:06:34 PM »
Hi Janna,

Here's what Hubby's put together. He recommends the 10" Kindle. It's great for putting game walkthroughs and the like on. Not much for gaming, unless you like app games.

We found a cheaper SD memory card than the one Amazon recommends. :) To get rid of ads/special offers, you do that at checkout. - It adds $20 to the cost of the Kindle. I think it can also be done at any time afterward through either the Kindle, or the Amazon account tied to the Kindle.

16 GB 10" Kindle = $229.99
http://www.amazon.com/Fire-HD-10-1-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B00VKIY9RG/

32 GB Samsung EVO microSD with SD adapter = $11.05
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class-Adapter-MB-MP32DA-AM/dp/B00IVPU786/

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Re: Tablets
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  Which I had to laugh at.  Hubby gave me a Kindle Fire HDX  7 for Mother's Day and I hardly ever use it.  Find I like the computer better. 

My laughing was that I never thought of a Kindle, I guess I don't see mine as a tablet, even though it is. 

Anyhow, I will check it out, I don't think it will be as bloated as the others are, so that may be a good choice for him. 
He is also wanting a new Xbox, as his old one broke and he opted to get the PS4 instead as he doesn't have that many Xbox games.  We may surprise him with both, one now and the other for Christmas.