Author Topic: Friezes and rooves  (Read 5498 times)

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
Friezes and rooves
« on: October 12, 2015, 05:55:45 AM »
Is there any way to adjust a half hipped roof by half a tile so that it covers the top of the bulky friezes? Either the roof overhangs it too far and looks too big, or sits in too far and looks a little strange. Or is there a flatter tall frieze that would line up with the edge of the roof?

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Friezes and rooves
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 06:48:27 AM »
What about using one of the exterior wall trims instead? They still come out a bit from the edge of the roof, but not as far as the friezes.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 06:55:37 AM »
What Twinmum said.  Before placing the roof, place a room to cover everything the roof will eventually cover.  Then apply an exterior wall trim to that floor.  Then remove the walls and place your roof.  Oh, and don't forget to remove the ceiling on that top floor as well.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 06:58:32 AM »
You can place a deck instead of a room and that doesn't add walls or the ceiling on the upper level, but you can still place the trim.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations

Dellena

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 07:24:09 AM »
I'd forgotten that :)

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 07:27:11 AM »
Oh, and you could also try adding the thick roof trim as well.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »
Thanks for the tips :) I only just discovered the roof trims last night, after all this time playing. I saw a house in the gallery with the thick trim and wondered if it was a base game thing or from an EP. So I went to look and was a happily surprised to find something new to me.

The medium trim improved the look slightly. It's one of those Victorian rooves with hipped edges and a flat, fenced top. I was building another one of the Maxis Shells, but there are a couple of things that they have done on this shell that aren't available in game. The other shells so far have all had stuff straight from build mode. This one has different windows, the frieze isn't quite so deep, and a path that sits half way past the side of the stairs (likely another game object in their version of CAW4). I don't know about the windows, but I suspect that once they had built the house and transformed it into a shell that they edited the trim.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 07:04:19 PM »
Can you post an image of the house you're talking about?  I'm curious now.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 11:20:58 PM »
It's down the road behind Hallow Slough

The Shell

As you can see the roof edge meets up with the edge of the frieze. There seemed to be no way to achieve this look, as I HAD to have the thick frieze.

My Shell (I still have to decorate and furnish inside. I've been putting that off. I struggle with mansions. And a bit more landscaping and terrain paint. So far it really is just a shell.)

A few other small differences I noticed while building
- an unavailable recolour of the chimney they used - I just used a different one with similar colour;
- the front door is darker than the available recolours.
- the posts on the stair rails are different
- the columns are a little different from those available. Maybe a combination of two together using MOO perhaps.

Dellena

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 08:38:56 AM »
I like a challenge.  I'll have a bash at this and see how it goes.  Currently downloading a graphics card driver update and then I'll get stuck in.

Dellena

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 10:07:29 AM »
Ok, I took a bash at just the structural elements.  As far as I can tell, your shell is the same, structurally, as what I came up with.  My guess is that this is a early artist rendition of something built with early tools.  Since then the roof placement has changed so they sit in a bit further.  Very good attempt, though, with what's currently available.