Author Topic: Reading Books  (Read 26784 times)

MissMouse

Reading Books
« on: October 24, 2014, 10:34:21 AM »
I'm a bit perplexed when it comes to my sims reading books to fill aspirations. How do you know when they are finished reading a book. My sim reads, then puts the book down. I've had her pick up the same book several times but the "# of books read" requirement is not registering.

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I could not find it anywhere.

Thanks for your help.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
Re: Reading Books
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 11:45:01 AM »
Most of the time when a Sim reads a book, there's a progress circle at the bottom left of the screen.  The colored part on the outside moves around the circle clockwise, showing the progress.  Skill books don't show this, and occasionally other books also don't.  If the outside circle isn't showing, you just have to keep reading the book until it registers.  Once your Sim tries to pick up a book they have already read, the option to reread the book will be there instead of the option to read the book.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

MissMouse

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 01:25:49 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me.

I do see the progress green circle in bottom left. It runs full circle every time I make the sim read the same book.  Even after 4 times reading the same book it still doesn't register the book having been read. When I click on the same book again, it does not give the "reread" option.  Then my sim is bored with reading too much.  In spite of the fact my sim is a genius, I'm wondering if her logic skill (level 4) hasn't been high enough to read books to completion?

Am working on increasing logic skill and hoping it works. Will report back. Thanks again.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »
If the outside circle isn't showing, you just have to keep reading the book until it registers.  Once your Sim tries to pick up a book they have already read, the option to reread the book will be there instead of the option to read the book.

In my experience, the progress circle completes once the book is read, but my sims will keep reading the book endlessly, while no circle is visible, until I stop them. I know they have completed reading the book when:

1. If I am reading it for an aspiration, the number of books read has increased by 1, and
2. If I click on the book in their hand as they are reading it, I get the option to "Reread..."

It's easy at that point to assume that reading the book was not counted because the number is added to the tally once the book has been completely read, NOT when the sim sets down the book.

So then, when you cancel the action so that they do set down the book, you don't see the number of books read increase, and most of us don't keep close track of what number they were on before they started that book. (Because that's the game's job, right?  :))

Another thing to know is that reading skill books does count toward your tally of books read for aspirations, but ONLY the first time you read each of them. And, on top of that, it's hard to remember if you've already read a skill book unless you are watching that sim at all times and keeping a written list of the books that they read on a sticky note next to your computer.  ::)

MissMouse

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 04:43:27 PM »
As you mentioned, reading skill books don't count toward reading book counts. That was my main mistake. Another error was that I chose a book from the "Emotional" category in the book store not realizing that it is considered a skill book (presumably because I didn't get credit for it). Thereafter by reading only fiction, the aspiration requirements are being met, albeit slowly.  I did level her logic skill up from 4 to 7, but whether that was a factor or not I don't know (probably not). 

Thank you all for your help :)

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 06:53:40 PM »
 My teen was doing that aspiration, had to read three books. His logic was only at 1 at the time, and he completed the three books and it registered as completed, so I don't think logic affects it.

Offline imayu94

• Townie
  • I overcomplicate.
    • Sims Stories
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:38:08 PM »
A little note too about free wills: Sims on high free will do leave their books without completing them.

It's best to complete "Read XX Books" goals with non-skill books because I don't think they work the same way as regular books. And like everyone said, the option "Reread" comes out it means that you've already read that book and reading it again will not count towards your total.

I like to think that the Bookworm trait and being Focused makes reading faster, but I might just be imagining things.
“With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.”

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

MissMouse

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 12:37:51 PM »
Thanks for the tip about free wills. I'd have never even thought about that.

Offline Wai

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 05:04:16 PM »
I have come late to Sims 4, and, so, to this topic. 

I find that reading skills books (book 1) for the first time does work.  After that it does not seem to work, neither will my sim stick to reading books 2 and 3.  I assumed this might have been because the sims skill was too high or too low.  There appears to be no way of knowing if and/or when the sim can read that skill book.  Right now, my sim simply will not read the 2 and 3 level skill books.  They are picked up when required, but, immediately put down.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Does anyone know if EA are working to improve on this situation?  Or, am I doing something wrong? 

:) In sims 3 I neatly always chose the Bookworm trait because it was so powerful, I have given up on it in Sims 4!!! :(
“In this world, there is nothing softer or thinner than water. But to compel the hard and unyielding, it has no equal. That the weak overcomes the strong, that the hard gives way to the gentle -- this everyone knows. Yet no one asks accordingly.”
 Lao-Tse

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 07:31:14 PM »
Bookworm doesn't give you advantages on reading speed in Sims 4.  As far as the skill books, needs can play a part.  If a Sim has a need in the red, particularly sleep, hunger, or bladder, they tend to drop what they are doing.  I imagine the issue would be that their skill isn't quite high enough to read the later ones.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »
@Wai  Skill books work very differently in TS4. Often your sim can reread a skill book and get an increase in skill level. In fact the level 2 books have to be reread as the Level 3 books will be too advanced for you sim to read if they have only just read a level 2 skill book. The best way to skill in TS4 is to actually 'do' the skill.

When you need your sim to read a book for a goal, click on it once to get them to actually start reading, before they start reading click on the chair you want them to sit on while reading. (In a focused environment is best) then stack up two more 'read the book' interactions. That way your sim will continue reading the book until completion and not put it down after only reading the first third.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.