Author Topic: No fences for houses with foundations?  (Read 35733 times)

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
No fences for houses with foundations?
« on: October 13, 2014, 11:00:39 AM »
I've run into a snag while trying to do landscaping (which I'm terrible at anyway). I have a house that I built on a foundation.  Now, when I try to build an enclosed side yard for the kids' activity area, it builds another room...on a foundation. It is apparently impossible to add a fence without building walls first. How can I get around the auto-foundation thing without removing the foundation of my house?

Offline Indira

• Occult
Re: No fences for houses with foundations?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:44:28 AM »
I think I see your problem. Did you start making your fence near the base of your house? If you do it that way, your fence will automatically have a foundation. Start your fence on an empty ground away from the house with foundation and see if it solves the issue.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 11:47:12 AM »
No, it's way over in the corner of the yard. You do have to build a wall first, right? I've tried to use different types of fences but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 12:00:36 PM »
No, you can simply put in a new fence using the fence tool. There are three options:
1. Place fences by drawing - if you're meticulous and want to have irregular shapes
2. Place fences by enclosure - creates an enclosed area with fences
3. Replace fences - use this when substituting an existing wall with fences

I suggest using option 1 till you get used to placing the fences. I use option 2 when i want one side of the room to have a fence to give the room an illusion of large windows. I use option 3 if/when i already know how it will look like when I apply it.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »
Okay, jeeze, now I feel stupid...lol. I didn't see the three choices at first. It obviously doesn't default to that one. Thanks for your help!

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »
Anytime! :) I love building homes with Sims 4 and I know it can be tricky sometimes. I'm glad to help. Dellena is also well-versed with these stuffs, though I haven't seen her posting for sometime now. Maybe busy irl.

Happy simming.

Dellena

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 06:15:18 AM »
Am currently on holiday in the states.  Will be back home on the 26th.  So I'm only able to check in occasionally.  As for the OP's question, you need to start drawing an outside fence away from your house if you don't want the foundation attached. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline velham6

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 11:14:09 AM »
Thanks from me, too for this! I'm building a wedding venue and the fence foundations around my courtyard were driving me bananas! By the way, I really like the new site design.  ;D

Offline Rainbeau115

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 06:00:53 PM »
No, you can simply put in a new fence using the fence tool. There are three options:
1. Place fences by drawing - if you're meticulous and want to have irregular shapes
2. Place fences by enclosure - creates an enclosed area with fences
3. Replace fences - use this when substituting an existing wall with fences

I suggest using option 1 till you get used to placing the fences. I use option 2 when i want one side of the room to have a fence to give the room an illusion of large windows. I use option 3 if/when i already know how it will look like when I apply it.

I just ran into the problem of fences with foundations.  I read your reply and fixed the problem with ease.  Thanx for the quick fix Indira!!

anything