Author Topic: Question about grammar  (Read 5001 times)

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Question about grammar
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:36:43 AM »
Just a quick question, I know about the rules regarding correct grammar and punctuation, but what if people do not know the correct punctuation or spelling. For instance their there and they're are all spelled correctly, so would not show up as errors on a spell check, yet only one would be correct.
In a nutshell what happens if a person genuinely doesn't know they are making aforesaid errors.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Question about grammar
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 11:20:33 AM »
Just a quick question, I know about the rules regarding correct grammar and punctuation, but what if people do not know the correct punctuation or spelling. For instance their there and they're are all spelled correctly, so would not show up as errors on a spell check, yet only one would be correct.
In a nutshell what happens if a person genuinely doesn't know they are making aforesaid errors.

Rachel

Well, that's one of the reasons why we have great mods. They may gently point out to you via PM the correct useage of certain words for proper grammar. Usually if someone takes the time to reread their sentence carefully, they can catch stuff. I used "their" in my last sentence. It's a possessive. That's the key with their. It's going to refer to someone or a group of people — their sentence. They're always means they are. So, if you're confused about using they're, then just just say they are in the same context and see if it makes sense. With "there" you're usually talking about a place, although you sometimes here something like — "there now, you'll be alright."

I've come a long way with my own grammar. Commas are still a little confusing to me. If anyone wonders why I often use long em dashes ( — ) that's the exact reason...I'm a little rusty on where to place all the commas.  ;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »
Rachel, none of us is perfect - we all make mistakes from time to time.  As long as we all try our best, and are open to constructive criticism, I don't think it's a big deal.  Please don't let anxiety over possibly making a mistake stop you from contibuting to the forum.  If I thought I had to be perfect, I'd never open my mouth.  Then again, there have been times when keeping my trap shut would definitely have been a good idea!  ;D

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
Ratchie, I talk a lot.  Type-talk, a lot.  I know I don't always use the best grammar and there are words I frequently misspell and my use of punctuation leaves much to be desired.  My experience is, unless you are being rude, obnoxious, or vulgar, no one is going to fuss overly much about it.  I don't recall anyone publicly correcting anyone on this forum.  Via pm, sure.  Publicly, haven't seen it.  So if you are concerned about possibly being embarrassed, please don't be.  Everyone here seems to genuinely care and respect everyone else and I highly doubt anyone will be banned from the forum for a few less commas or a misspelled word. 
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 02:21:52 PM »
As far as I know (i.e. as far as I've been a mod) I have never even seen so much as a warning given out to a person for misspelling a word. The warning system usually works in the way that you get 2, but not 3 warnings, if you know what I mean (Pam will make it very clear in the PM if it is to be counted as an official warning, so relax everybody! ;D). There is no tolerance for any spamming (results in immediate banning) and bad/rude behaviour usually goes up on warnings if serious, but never bad spelling. The last months we don't issue public notes when we correct anyone's posts anymore, but if it's a mistake we see a lot with one person we PM him/her saying so and what to do.

Also, I often go around here correcting people's posts, so please don't feel like you are any inconvenience or something! I'm happy to help out. :)
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:17:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. My problem is lack of full stops and capital letters. I tend to let my fingers get ahead of my brain. Although I have to say the spell checker annoys me when it says that colour and grey are spelled incorrectly when its just a difference between British and American spelling of the words color and gray.
I have no intention of stopping posting so you are all stuck with me  :D I just have to spend a little extra time checking my punctuation.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »
Although I have to say the spell checker annoys me when it says that colour and grey are spelled incorrectly when its just a difference between British and American spelling of the words color and gray.

I get that too. Sometimes I give in and let the spellchecker have it's way, sometimes I stick to my guns and leave the word as is because I know it's correct for Australia.

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 06:10:49 PM »
Yeah, guys — forget the fact about regional/country differences in spelling certain words. If colour/grey are correct wherever you call home, then that's good enough here too.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 06:24:50 PM »
With all of the new members here, it seems it takes alot longer to read everything, but one thing I have noticed, now since the spellchecker is here, is there is not near the amount of grammar issues like it use to be when it was a smaller forum.  Yes, we have the occasional rude person, but they don't usually last too long.  It seems everyone is doing such a remarkable job and I have to commend everyone on that.  We also understand the many different countries and languages and how difficult it must be sometimes to work so hard at chatting in these forums, but that is what makes this forum so unique.  Keep up the good work everyone. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 07:30:41 PM »
The main purpose of the grammar rule is to keep people from deliberately using the common text speech in posts here.  It's just too difficult to read and even more difficult for those who don't speak English as a first language.  And to at least try to properly punctuate sentences...  again, because it can be difficult to read and understand.  But definitely, if someone isn't naturally a great speller or uses English as a secondary language, they won't get in trouble for it.  Most times, it will just be corrected in the post and if we notice a distinct pattern, a private message will be sent.  Many times, that's when I learn that someone isn't a native English speaker.

Regarding words like their, there, and they're, it can be confusing.  I'd even suggest looking up a grammar site on the internet and learning the difference.  It's something that will be an issue for an entire lifetime unless the problem is conquered.  In addition, my "door" is always open if anyone wants to ask questions or get clarification on anything.  Just send me a private message through the Forum and I'll answer as soon as I can.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »
In addition, my "door" is always open if anyone wants to ask questions or get clarification on anything.  Just send me a private message through the Forum and I'll answer as soon as I can.  :)

Pam is the uber grammar pro, everyone. I can vouch for that. I've asked her on more than one occasion for clarity on some Guide articles. I'm convinced she talks in her sleep and recites grammar rules when she does so. She's that good.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »
When I first joined, I didn't use correct grammar. Not because I couldn't but it was because of all the years on yahoo and texting, you know, taking shortcuts and generally being too lazy to type out the entire word or sentence. Since I joined, I have noticed even on yahoo and texting I type the entire thing! My sister once even asked me about it, and I told her it was due to being a part of the forum and actually caring about what my typing looks like. So I want to thank Pam and all the other people who had a great impact on my spelling! Ratchie, you will find every single moderator and member on here are the sweetest people you would ever want to meet! I consider everyone on here my friend despite the fact I've never met them!

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:04 PM »
I have been on this site for a year now and what a difference.  I lurked for a while, because I am kinda shy, hmm, that might not be the best word to describe me or slow, not that one either, any case, you are right Esther, even though have not met anyone here, seems like ya know them just the same.  I enjoy my time on here, even though Sat through tues, I rarely get to play because of work and then when I am off, I really enjoy getting caught up with everything.  Everyone keep up the good work, the members is what makes the difference. ;D
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Bde1225

• Occult
  • Entertain me!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 08:49:05 AM »
I have never been a grammar pro myself-but I don't use text talk unless I am texting. Since I got my message about capitalizing my I's, I am going to start using word to check my post before posting anything. I think it does a good job in catching everything.

Dr. Mingbe DeWooLeHoo<---So I don't forget the name of my fav creation! Lol..I am getting old...