Author Topic: Recipe Books: Which recipes can you learn?  (Read 11860 times)

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
Recipe Books: Which recipes can you learn?
« on: October 15, 2014, 12:56:44 AM »
There are several recipe books in The Sims 4, but they are very different from recipe books in The Sims 3. They are not named after any particular recipe, cost §2,500 each, and must be read again and again to learn each recipe.

*Revised: 10/15/2014 at 8:00 PM: I thought that the crossed out phrase above was true, but now I am no longer sure. I thought one of my sims had learned new recipes, but now it appears that all of my sims know only the same basic recipes. I'll update as soon as I know more.*

Under this topic, I'd like us to help each other compile a list of:
1) The Recipe Books,
2) Which Recipes you can learn from each book, and
3) What kind of results you get when reading these books over and over regarding whether or not they count towards your aspirations more than once.

Re: #3: So far, it appears to me that for the "Finish Reading X# of Books" Aspirations, this book only counts toward the number the first time you read it. I think that may also be the case with the general skill books, which now also have to be read multiple times, once for each skill level you wish to gain.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
Re: Recipe Books: Which recipes can you learn?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:48:58 PM »
So far, I believe these are the only recipe books:
  • Baker's Dozen: 13 Fabulous Flour-Filled Recipes
  • Mmm! What's that Smell?
  • Shaken or Stirred: 400 Pretentious Drinks
They each cost §2,500 so they better do something great!

It appears that each time my sim reads one of those books from start to finish, he or she learns a new recipe. I have yet to get the "reread" action instead of "read" when clicking on these books; so, either I haven't learned all 13 (I assume) cooking recipes yet, or it just never shows up as something to "reread."

You sims can also write their own instruction books after they master some skills. My sims have written both cooking and mixology books:

"Mastering Potions" is one mixology skill book that my sim wrote. I'm not sure what it does if another sim reads it though. Perhaps, it works like the Mixology Books Volumes 1, 2, and 3.

"Take the Cake - And Eat It, Too" is a cooking skill book also written by one of my sims.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
The mixology books are ones you can only write if in the mixology profession.  I think the recipe books may be the same way, but for cooking.

What recipes has your Sim learned so far from reading the books?

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 10:50:22 PM »
Below is a list of the standard cooking and gourmet cooking recipes that every sim will learn as they advance in the skill. I also included the recipes that can be cooked with the grill. There are several notes at the bottom about both cost and ingredient variation.

Recipes: Cooking:

Hamburger Cake – Level 1 – §25
Scrambled Eggs – Level 1 – §3 – Tomato
Garden Salad – Level 1 – §3 – Tomato
Grilled Cheese – Level 1 – §3
White Cake – Level 1 – §15
Chocolate Cake – Level 1 – §15
Mac and Cheese – Level 1 – §4
Chips and Salsa – Level 2 – §5 – Tomato, Onion
Eggs and Toast – Level 2 – §4
BLT – Level 2 – §4 – Tomato
Fish Tacos – Level 2 – §5 – Betta/Batfish/Can Vary, Carrot
Pancakes – Level 3 – §5 – Dragonfruit
Chocolate Chip Cookies – Level 3 – §21
Taco Casserole – Level 3 – §43
Pan Fried Tilapia – Level 3 – §6 – Tilapia
Black and White Cookies – Level 4 – §24
Spaghetti – Level 4 – §6 – Tomato, Onion, Mushroom
Strawberry Cake – Level 4 – §15
Fish and Chips – Level 5 – §8 - Betta Batfish/Can Vary, Potato
French Toast – Level 5 – §8 – Dragonfruit
Chili – Level 6 – §10 – Tomato, Onion
Blue Confetti Cake – Level 6 – §15
Omelet – Level 7 – §10 – Spinach, Mushroom, Onion
Blackened Bass – Level 7 – §10 – Bass
Apple Pie – Level 8 – §45 – Apple
Chicken Stir Fry – Level 9 – §14 – Onion, Mushroom
Cioppino – Level 9 – §50 – Tilapia, Tomato
Tuna Casserole – Level 10 – §16 – Carrot
Roast Chicken – Level 10 – §63 – Carrot, Potato

Recipes: Gourmet Cooking:

Caprese Salad – Level 1 – §4 – Tomato, Basil
Pasta Primavera – Level 1 – §4 – Carrot, Sage
Garlic Noodles – Level 1 – §4
White & Black Cake – Level 1 – §25
Black & White Cake – Level 1 – §25
Fruit & Yogurt Parfait – Level 1 – §5 – Dragonfruit
Butternut Gnocchi – Level 2 – §6 – Sage
Chicken Saltimbocca – Level 2 – §5 – Lemon, Spinach
Herb-Crusted Salmon – Level 3 – §7 – Sage, Salmon
Spinach Frittata – Level 3 – §7 – Spinach
Salt and Pepper Shrimp Cocktail – Level 3 – §25
Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus – Level 4 – §8 – Sage
Tiered Cake – Level 5 – §25
SimCity Cheesecake – Level 5 – §37 – Dragonfruit
Rack of Lamb – Level 6 – §42 – Carrot, Potato, Sage
Lobster Tortellini – Level 7 – §12 – Tomato, Sage
Lobster Thermidor – Level 7 – §12 – Lemon, Sage
Monte Cristo Sandwich – Level 8 – §14 – Dragonfruit
Trout Meuniere – Level 9 – §19 – Trout, Lemon, Parsley
Baked Alaska – Level 10 – §25 – Dragonfruit
Ambrosia – Level 10 – §0 – Angelfish, Potion of Youth, Death Flower
*Cannot Buy Ambrosia Ingredients; Must Collect Special Ingredients

Recipes: Grill (7 Recipes):

Grilled Chicken – §60
Hamburger – §40
Hot Dogs – §32
Salmon – §58
Steak – §84
Tofu Dogs – §39
Veggie Burger – §32

*Note on Recipe Ingredient Variation: 
The ingredients for each recipe are only shown if you have “Use Fresh Ingredients” checked off. The ingredient(s) listed can vary for some recipes, depending on what your sim has in his or her inventory. If the ingredient is written in gray, then your sim does not have that ingredient, or one that can be substituted for it, so you must pay for it. Some recipes do not list any ingredients because they are not items that your sim can provide so you automatically just pay for them.

*Note on Food Price:
The prices listed here are the cost if your sim pays for the ingredients and for a single serving. Most recipes have three serving sizes.

If you “Use Fresh Ingredients,” the price will be different. You will not be charged for ingredients that your sim supplies from his or her own inventory or the fridge.

*Beware:
If you recently acquired a rare fish, fruit, or vegetable, and don’t want it to accidentally be used in a recipe before you can plant, mount, or do whatever you want to with it. For example, Tilapia is hard to catch, and if you go home right after fishing and decide to prepare “Pan Fried Tilapia,” with “Fresh Ingredients” it will use up your prized catch just like that.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 10:52:43 PM »
Mixology:

There are two ways to learn new mixology recipes (for a total of 6 new recipes) that I know of so far. This excludes reading the mixology book "Shaken or Stirred: 400 Pretentious Drinks" because I am still trying to figure out how these supposed recipe books actually work.

1. You can buy a “special” recipe for §200 while in the Mixology Carrier if prompted. It will allow your Mixologist to make the “Snaggle Fluster.” It is a Level 10 drink that costs §50.

The Snaggle Fluster’s Description in the menu is: “A mythical recipe bought off an mysterious hermit. Who knows what effects this drink may hold?”

2. Once completing the Master Mixologist Aspiration, your sim will be able to make five new mood-altering potions. They each cost §1000 to make. They are: Inspired Potion, Happy Potion, Focused Potion, Energized Potion, and Confident Potion.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:25:02 PM »
Thanks for your response.  This looks like the standard list of recipes you can earn while leveling up.  I thought you were saying your Sim learned recipes from reading the books?  Or are you saying your Sim gained cooking experience, and earned the normal level-up recipes from doing that?

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 12:12:45 AM »
Yes, it is the standard list of recipes. I thought my sim had learned new recipes, but once I typed it out and compared them, I realized that all of my sims knew the same recipes...

I'm hoping to figure this out. Now I'm baffled as to what the recipe books are actually for. They never register as completely read, but my sims don't seem to learn anything from them.

Maybe a bug? I don't think they would sell expensive "recipe" book that did nothing.  :-\

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 05:51:30 AM »
Ok, I want to correct myself and confirm that no new recipes can be learned from books. There are a few unlisted recipes that your sims can prepare when they are experiencing certain emotions, see below. I'm guessing that new recipes will come in expansion packs.

Energized: High Energy Protein Plate

Playful: Silly Gummy Bear Pancakes

Flirty: Heart Cookies

Angry: Angry Flaming Spaghetti - Beware: this one makes sims really angry, predictably.  ;)

Sorry for starting a somewhat misleading discussion. :-[ I thought one of my sims had learned new recipes, but I was mistaken.

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »
I bought that 13 recipes book, thinking it was just individual recipes put into one book for our sims to learn. I was rather annoyed that my sim didn't seem to learn anything from it, considering it cost $2500. Then I thought it might be for the cookie factory, as it said cooking with flour. There was another thread that said it didn't seem to do anything for that, either.