Author Topic: How emotions affect skills  (Read 14787 times)

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
Re: How emotions affect skills
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 12:02:21 PM »
Thanks for giving us all this useful information.
From what I understood, +25% bonus to gains for the applicable skills. Exception to the Creatively Gifted reward trait, which — be it by intent or by a bug — seems to give a +25% bonus to all creative skills, and a further +25% bonus to all musical skills.
Well, since you managed to find that...
Do you see any info on how night owl/morning Sim affect skill building?  How about the Savant reward from the store and Quick Learner from choosing a knowledge aspiration?

Offline Ciosa

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »
From what I understand, it gets all applicable bonuses. So, increasing Video Gaming while Focused gets the +40% bonus all mental skills get, and a further +25% bonus to the specific skill (and those increase to +60% and +50% at In The Zone, making the process quite faster than usual).

Keep in mind that I didn't personally test all of those, I just studied the format of the tuning files.

From what I understood, +25% bonus to gains for the applicable skills. Exception to the Creatively Gifted reward trait, which — be it by intent or by a bug — seems to give a +25% bonus to all creative skills, and a further +25% bonus to all musical skills.

That makes me curious - I've been operating under the assumption that 'Mischief' is lumped under the 'Social Butterfly' trait, and so categorized as a Social skill.  (Even though it falls under Angry instead of Confident.)  All the writing/painting/music/cooking skills seemed like obvious choices for Creativity, since they were all inspiration based, and I had categorized Fishing, Gardening, Logic, Programming, Rocket Science and Video Gaming as the mental skills, since they fell under Focus.  Are you pulling most of this information from poking through code, or in-game testing?  The four different aspirations for children - Creativity, Physical, Mental, and Social - had made me assume that Sims 4 categorized all of the skills under one of those headings.  I'm wondering if there are 'floating' skills like Mischief that aren't attached to one of those categories, or if skills added in future expansions will follow the classification system.  It would be nice if they did!

Thank you again for indulging all the questions!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline DarkWalker

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »
Thanks for giving us all this useful information.Well, since you managed to find that...
Do you see any info on how night owl/morning Sim affect skill building?  How about the Savant reward from the store and Quick Learner from choosing a knowledge aspiration?

Apparently, +25% each for Night Owl, Morning Person, and Savant; +10% for Quick Learner.

(Makes me regret having picked Quick Learner for my starting sim; so many other interesting traits, and Quick Learner becomes irrelevant after all skills are leveled up.)

(Sorry for the delay, I left the reply tab open and went to do something else and, well, forgot to hit post... :o )

That makes me curious - I've been operating under the assumption that 'Mischief' is lumped under the 'Social Butterfly' trait, and so categorized as a Social skill.  (Even though it falls under Angry instead of Confident.)  All the writing/painting/music/cooking skills seemed like obvious choices for Creativity, since they were all inspiration based, and I had categorized Fishing, Gardening, Logic, Programming, Rocket Science and Video Gaming as the mental skills, since they fell under Focus.  Are you pulling most of this information from poking through code, or in-game testing?  The four different aspirations for children - Creativity, Physical, Mental, and Social - had made me assume that Sims 4 categorized all of the skills under one of those headings.  I'm wondering if there are 'floating' skills like Mischief that aren't attached to one of those categories, or if skills added in future expansions will follow the classification system.  It would be nice if they did!

Thank you again for indulging all the questions!

The data is from poking through the tuning files; I do enjoy reverse-engineering things, and have some experience with XML.

All skills are attached to one of those four categories; Mischief is a social skill, together with Charisma and Comedy.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 02:28:43 AM »
Apparently, +25% each for Night Owl, Morning Person, and Savant; +10% for Quick Learner.

(Makes me regret having picked Quick Learner for my starting sim; so many other interesting traits, and Quick Learner becomes irrelevant after all skills are leveled up.)
Thanks for this information.  These are very nice things to know. 

Did you know you can change away from Quick Learner if you have an aspiration that's not knowledge-based on your Sim?  Just go into CAS from the dresser.  When you exit it, your Sim will have the trait from their current aspiration instead of the old one.  I think this makes a lot more sense than having the trait from their original aspiration forever, and is probably a bug that it doesn't switch automatically when a Sim changes aspirations.

Offline ManiSims

• Occult
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 07:31:51 AM »
I think this makes a lot more sense than having the trait from their original aspiration forever, and is probably a bug that it doesn't switch automatically when a Sim changes aspirations.

Really? I thought that the ability to switch bonus traits by going into CAS was a bug... Not the other way around. That your sim would have your original Bonus trait and couldn't get any others, even if they changed their aspiration. That's why I didn't really try it, it felt a bit too exploity to me? But I guess it makes sense.

anything