Author Topic: Very Frequent Crashing  (Read 2972 times)

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
Very Frequent Crashing
« on: September 29, 2014, 05:13:56 AM »
I am extremely disappointed to say that The Sims 4 has officially beat out The Sims 3 in the game crashing frequency category. It started after my sims had accumulated quite a few items (fish, plants, frogs, etc). It would freeze up for a second when I opened their inventories. However, it doesn't crash at that moment. It crashes at a completely random time, while the game is seemingly running seamlessly. It got really bad after I created a second household to play in my game. I made that sim go visit my other sims' home, and ever since then, the game crashes every ten minutes or so, especially when that new sim is involved. I stopped playing her though, but, unfortunately, the crashing continues. I am just very disappointed. I save the game every ten minutes now, but I still lose data about every third time. Sometimes it crashes when I try to save.

On the almost positive side, the game starts up again really quickly, and it doesn't take a long time to freeze and crash. It does it in an instant. At least, it doesn't waste as much time...

I'm confident that it is not my computer. I have a top of the line gaming computer (that I bought so that I could play The Sims 3 without it freezing and crashing every second).

Is anyone else having these issues? I sincerely hope EA can patch it soon.

Offline Devin

• Occult
Re: Very Frequent Crashing...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »
My girlfriend was having these issues, but it's definitely her computer that was the problem -- EA essentially confirmed it.

Have you deleted the save file that you had when the problem first started? What about custom content?

Have you tried playing it in windowed mode? That's supposed to help with crashes as well. I always play in windowed mode so I wouldn't know for sure, but mine doesn't crash very often.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »
I started using Fullscreen Windowed mode so I could sometimes have Sim-in-background functionality, and your post made me realize that i haven't had a crash since that switch. The only crashes I've had now are when my PC goes to sleep and Sims not wanting to resume, but that is a fairly common crash.

Offline ManiSims

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:15:03 PM »
I, too, always play in windowed mode (so that I can take screenshots with the shipping tool). I haven't had a single crash yet.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »
I'm playing full windowed mode with a brand new pc that was build for me for gaming and I've had two blue screen crashes.  :-[ The first in my life!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 10:58:05 PM »
I've had two crashes with the game and both was when playing in full screen mode. I've sense started playing in full screen window mode and havn't had another crash.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
Re: Very Frequent Crashing
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
Carl, could you please tell me what Fullscreen Windowed mode is and also what Sim-in-background functionality is? I'm not familiar with either of them.

I think I confirmed that the large number of items in all of my sims' inventories was, at least, part of the problem causing crashing. It took me about 3 hours, because of the frequent crashing, but I deleted or sold most of my sims' items and the crashing has subsided.

I'm happy that I found a way to stop the crashing, but I'm still disappointed that the game allows you to have that many items, but then doing so leads to crashing. I worked in QA for SOCOM at Zipper Interactive (or other words, I was a "tester"), and I feel that this kind of thing should have been quickly discovered and remedied.

On a side note, I hope they come up with a better way of organizing items in your sim's inventory soon. I also hope they make fertilizing plants easier, so that you don't have to fertilize them one-by-one, and so that the game doesn't momentarily freeze if you have a lot of plants and fish in your inventory, while trying to fertilize. Of course, maybe that is already possible, and I just haven't figured it out yet.

For now, I have scaled way back on the gardening in general.

Returning to the topic of preventing crashes, I now avoid saving the game while my sim's inventory is open in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I make sure one of the other tabs is open.

I've also returned to the old habits for preventing crashes in Sims 3: saving frequently and using "Save as" instead of "Save" or "Save and Quit." I have no idea if that is having any effect whatsoever though.  ;)

I had also mentioned crashes related to a specific sim that I had created visiting another one of my played households. I haven't experienced that crash since deleting the items, as mentioned above. Perhaps. the crashing wasn't related to that character at all.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.