Author Topic: Parkitecture!  (Read 729 times)

Offline Sindocat

• Fairy Godfather
  • Townie
Parkitecture!
« on: August 30, 2024, 01:17:59 PM »
That big lot up in the canyonland bluffs in Chestnut Ridge - you know the one.  I have had my eye on it since Horse Ranch released, and taken several runs at it, and never been happy with my result. Then I recalled an old idea I'd had for updating Granite Falls which never happened because I hardly use destination worlds. But I'd been reminded of an urge to play in big stone-and-beam style like you see at National Park lodges of a certain age, and wasn't there a term for that? I searched, and yes, Sindocat, there is! National Park Service Rustic is the name usually given to the style and movement, or more informally "Parkitecture".

For the other end of my idea I riffled through "ranch" related concepts in my head until I hit on "ranch school" - which were a fad in education in the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth centuries - wilderness boarding schools intended to reshape borderline delinquents and mollycoddled milquetoasts into Hearty Outdoorsmen in a brisk, tough love, work hard play hard regimen. There it was - I had my hook.

Most of it is a big, open, two storey great room with a towering stone chimney and a gallery around the second floor:

Back behind that chimney is a snug galley kitchen and dining hall. Or study hall!

Side rooms on the ground floor are a library/study and a small gym, shower, and half bath. Side rooms on the second floor are a master suite above the study and a dormitory above the gym, with a full bath for each.

The gable roof allowed for a garret loft of five rooms: rec room, two full bedrooms, full bath, and study. I move my teen boys up here so their independent studies in comparative anatomy don't cause Embarrassed moodlets and privacy violations. (content warning: Underwear, Teen ⚠)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From a strict "ranch" PoV my ranch school build is a bit of a bust. Built for an 8 Sim household, I opted for a pool, poolhouse and covered hot tub where the paddock and stables would go. I'll probably redo this bit when I want to play horses.

There is after all a swimmable river nearby.

Still tinkering here and there, and probably saving a gallery upload for a more tested and streamlined version. But my Sims love it!

"Who cannot draw upon three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Parkitecture!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2024, 09:57:10 PM »
@Sindocat   What a gorgeous build and lovely screenshots!
Looking forward to seeing more of your creative lots!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Sindocat

• Fairy Godfather
  • Townie
Re: Parkitecture!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 04:34:42 PM »
It's played so well, and a ranch school is so ideally suited for what they are best at, namely running herd on a pack of semi-feral werewolf kids, that I've placed it in my Legacy save and moved in my immortal Founders. I'll keep the playtest household as a side-save.

"Who cannot draw upon three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe

anything