Author Topic: Spell Check?  (Read 4921 times)

Offline Bogie74

• Townie
  • Ruh ro raggy!!
Spell Check?
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:39:55 PM »
I wasn't quite sure really where to post this so I am posting this here. I apologize if this isn't correct. I was just wondering if there was a spell checker option for the board, because I can't seem to find it. I am a HORRIBLE speller! I usually write my posts in Word, then copy/paste...I know, I'm sorry!! So sorry to ask this! Please don't kill me!  ;)

Am I just not seeing it?  ??? I recently had my performance review at work, and I scored through the roof, however, my Director told me that apparently, I spend “too much time wrapped up in the little details” and “strive for perfection” though I am “technically the best” on the team…ROFL… I’m not quite sure if that was a good thing or not???!! Just kill me now! ;)
I will love him and squeeze him and pet him and call him George!!

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Spell Check?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 08:48:23 PM »
I wasn't quite sure really where to post this so I am posting this here. I apologize if this isn't correct. I was just wondering if there was a spell checker option for the board, because I can't seem to find it. I am a HORRIBLE speller! I usually write my posts in Word, then copy/paste...

Why go through the extra step? Just hit Reply or Quote and type in the built in box provided. There's already a built in spell checker. Words will have a red underline if incorrect.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:27:38 PM »
I wasn't quite sure really where to post this so I am posting this here. I apologize if this isn't correct. I was just wondering if there was a spell checker option for the board, because I can't seem to find it. I am a HORRIBLE speller! I usually write my posts in Word, then copy/paste...

Why go through the extra step? Just hit Reply or Quote and type in the built in box provided. There's already a built in spell checker. Words will have a red underline if incorrect.

I don't see a red underline for misspelled words.  What's up with that?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 12:04:37 AM »
I get the red underlines too and when I right-click I get some suggestions for the correct spelling. I'm quite sure it's my browser doing it, nothing to do with this forum specifically. I use Firefox.

You can choose whether you want it to spell check or not and you can choose UK or US English. Color or Colour.

If you're on Internet Explorer I don't know what to do.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 04:50:31 AM »
Yeah, it's probably a Firefox thing because I'm on Internet Explorer.

Bogie, don't worry about it too much.  I'll correct any mistakes I see as part of moderating the board.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 06:29:53 AM »
Ah, okay, so the red underlining is a browser thing? I'm on a Mac and use Safari.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Firefox has a spell checker-enabled thsi word is red underlined. :) This is good for anyone who needs help with it. I also love firefox and use it myself as my sole browser -- one anomaly, firefox is counted as a misspelling

Cheers

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 12:40:39 AM »
firefox is counted as a misspelling

But Firefox isn't. And it won't accept sims, only Sims. ::)

It's certainly not perfect, sometimes it makes some very eccentric suggestions, like splitting words in random places. Luckily you can add words to the dictionary.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 05:36:34 AM »

I always capitalize "Sims" when I use it in a sentence. I look at them as a specific group of people, as if I were talking about Germans, Italians, or Chinese. Not just plain, old ordinary people.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »
True what Metro said.  "Sims" is a proper noun whereas "sims" isn't really a word at all.  Technically, it should always be capitalized.  If I have to edit a post for something else anyway, I correct the capitalization.  

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 11:38:34 PM »

I always capitalize "Sims" when I use it in a sentence. I look at them as a specific group of people, as if I were talking about Germans, Italians, or Chinese. Not just plain, old ordinary people.

That's funny, I think I use "sim" the same way I do "person". Or "alien". :D

Like they're a different species. Then they shouldn't be capitalized, should they? (I'm never quite sure how this works, we don't use capitalization in my language.)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 01:27:55 AM »

That's funny, I think I use "sim" the same way I do "person". Or "alien". :D

Like they're a different species. Then they shouldn't be capitalized, should they? (I'm never quite sure how this works, we don't use capitalization in my language.)

In this specific case, technically "sim" or "sims" is not a real word in English.  So, it's not like "person" or "alien" in that regard.  Now, with "Sim" and "Sims" you get into trademark issues and the technically correct way is to use capitalization because that's how the trademark is registered.  I'm from the old school where capitalization is a big deal, but I see it mattering less and less with younger generations.

PJ, if English isn't your first language, you're certainly quite fluent.  Kudos!

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 03:46:03 AM »
Thanks. :)
No I speak Danish but that just doesn't get you very far, it's a very small country. I read a lot of books in English (they're cheaper and you don't have to deal with crappy translations) and foreign film and TV is never dubbed here, we get the original language with subtitles. You pick up a lot that way.

I'm from the old school where capitalization is a big deal, but I see it mattering less and less with younger generations.

There used to be a lot more capitalization in Danish but it was changed around 1950 or so, I guess because less and less people used it correctly. Maybe that will happen in English as well.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 07:38:01 AM »
firefox is counted as a misspelling

It's certainly not perfect, sometimes it makes some very eccentric suggestions, like splitting words in random places. Luckily you can add words to the dictionary.

Duh! I didn't even think of it noticing capitalization. But yeah, love it!