Author Topic: 1.66 update & Island Paradise  (Read 2989 times)

Offline favcolimegreen

• Nooboo
1.66 update & Island Paradise
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:55:38 AM »
    Hello!
I dont usually update my game. For the sole reason of it always causing a problem...
However, I purchased Island Paradise about 2 days ago, and found I could not build on water.
Therefore, I uninstalled Twallan's StoryProgression (the only Mod I have), and downloaded the latest update.

I then installed StoryProgression's updated version for my new patch level, and started my game.
Starting on one of the pre-placed lots on a small island, I created a house half on water, half on land.
It was only partially completed after 10 minutes, and I returned to Edit Town.

It immediately crashed!

I figured the system was just getting used to the updated game or something, since it's crashed after an update before, but then seemed to settle?
So, restarting the game, I tested to see if it was the building on water that it didnt agree with. . .
Building on a lot on a cliff, for about 2 minutes, and returning to Edit Town did nothing at all. No issues.
Building back on the first lot, keeping the house on land, for about 12 minutes, was okay. Going to Edit Town brought no issue, so I saved.
As soon as I went to Live Mode, it crashed.  :-[

Very, VERY, confusing.
I have plenty of CC, and I deleted some that I wasnt using after the first crash.

Is anyone able to help?

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: 3.66 update & Island Paradise
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:00:19 AM »
Because this is (likely) a technical issue, I'm moving this to the Technical Help board. :)
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »
Hi Favcolimegreen,

There isn't any mention of what's been done to try to fix the crashing, or an error or crash message given. So best I can do for now is give these links to read over.

Patch 1.66
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2014/01/patch-1-66.html

Game Crashes (CTD)
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/error-game-crashes-ctd.html

In the meantime, something you could try is running a test game without the mods and custom content to see what happens.

If you find these don't help, please post back so we can try to help further.

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline favcolimegreen

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
     It said if I ran the game without cc, it would mess up my saved games. Is that true?
I will try running without the mod though.

I played the town without ever going into edit town at all, just built on my own lot off of Live Mode.
After playing for a few hours with good results, I saved, clicked exit, and it crashed.  ::)

There are no error mesages, except "Sims 3 has stopped responding".

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »
I don't think it will hurt anything to run the game without custom content. There's a spot in the launcher that says run game without custom content. Make sure that's checked.

If you're unsure make a backup of your game first before you create a (new) test game.

If you need to know what to save/backup. Have a look at this thread.

How To: Saving folders/files to use on a different computer or to use as backup
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,16414.msg313134.html#msg313134

If you like to play Sims for a long time, 2+ hours or more, save your game often, like once every half hour - 1 hour. To make sure you don't loose your game progress. And either get out of the game or restart your computer every 2 hours to help refresh the computers memory.

That message that you gave me was what I was looking for. (Thank you!!)

The link I posted to you before, about game crashes should help.

Game Crashes (CTD)
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/error-game-crashes-ctd.html

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline favcolimegreen

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 05:54:29 PM »
   So first I should just make a copy of the whole Sims 3 folder. . . and put it where?
I was thinking maybe its the cc thats messing with the updated code? I was told I didn't have uninstall everything like the box says when you're about to update the game.

Also, if I run the game without cc, it says it'll permanently replace these items with proxies.
That means if it fixes the issue, and I put cc back in (little by little), I'll have to re-color, re-locate, ect, EVERYthing?  :-\

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: 1.66 update & Island Paradise
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 02:04:24 AM »
Either save the Sims 3 folder to any of these, cd/external hard drive, memory card, flash drive, desktop, etc.

What I usually do is save either the whole Sims 3 folder to my external or just the files/folders I think are needed for the game.

This thread gives more details on what you may want to save for backup.
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,16414.msg313134.html#msg313134

It just maybe the custom content messing with your game. I have heard that if you run the game without cc the game will replace stuff. It's okay. As long as you've got things backed up, you can always go back to your previous game-save.

I've had store items replaced in my game before, as I didn't have store items installed at the time. Game still ran fine.

Yes, if it does fix the issue, you'll need to go through your cc to find out what is causing the crashing.

My experience with 3rd party custom content was a bad one. So I've learned not use it in my games. As it's known to crash and corrupt games, unfortunately.

Edit --

Here's a link that may help with removing the bad Custom content.

Removing Bad Custom Content
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/custom-content-cc/bad-cc

MrsFlynn

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline favcolimegreen

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 11:33:57 AM »
     Hello again,
first I would like to thank you so much for your time.
Secondly, I've found that the issue must be in the CC as suspected.
I uninstalled all CC that I wasn't currently using in IP, and was able to build on water, go back to Edit Town, ect, everything with no issue!

Now I have to sort through everything to find that little irritant,  :-\ :'(
It's nice to have a solution though.

Thanks again!

PS: Where would I post a question about a Mod effecting the appearance of Mermaids? Hadnt seen any when I had the Mod, and as soon as I took it out, it's like they're all over the place! Should I put it here in Tech, in Island Parsdise, or in Mods?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 02:47:36 PM »
I'm happy I was able to help and that your game is running better. :)

I'm not sure where to post that question. I'd say try posting it in the Mods part of the forum.

Depending on which mod you had installed, for example if it were an Nraas mod, you may have better luck posting the question on their site.

MrsFlynn