Author Topic: Sim Access to Lots Placed in World Editor  (Read 6147 times)

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
Sim Access to Lots Placed in World Editor
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:22:15 AM »
I'm trying to make a scenic residential lot just in case the Beautiful Vista moodlet spontaneously occurs. Let's say a player lucks out and finds a spot of land where the lot placement turns green. Of course, it's not adjacent to a road, or a path, so the sim would have to run all the way to the house and, I'm assuming, keep the car in inventory. I've been trying to fiddle around with placing very small adjacent lots in order to create a path to the street, but there is always a gap between lots, making terrain smoothing problematic.

Has anyone found a way to build something that would act as a road, to reach a remote area?

Edit: I'd like to add that I don't want to create a whole world, just add residential lots to existing neighborhoods.

Also, another issue might be school buses and work carpools. I'm  sure someone must have found a way to do this.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline Happytime

• Townie
  • "There you have it, there it is." ~Buckaroo Banzai
Re: Sim Access to Lots Placed in World Editor
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:14:08 PM »
LlamaMama,

This isn't really an answer ... but once I accidentally placed a lot without street access / being adjacent to a street. It was actually in a really horrible spot, more than half the lot was horribly sloped.

The standard residential items (mailbox and trashcan) were placed on the lot.

Just to test, I saved the game and moved a Sim family onto the lot, and everything "seemed" to work fine. Carpools would show up like 2 blocks over, but my Sims just did that "fade out" when they reached the border of the lot, only to pop into the carpool. I purchased a parking place and a car, and it worked fine as well, again just doing that "fade" right onto the street. Sims could run on and off the lot, but any vehicles (or a Sim using a vehicle) would just "fade" from the lot a few blocks into the car / moped / bike.

It wasn't pretty, for sure ... and I couldn't edit anything in "Town Mode" because there weren't any lots "connecting" the lot to the street.

I suspect if you had the World Editor installed (and knew what you were doing) you might be able to edit the town  and create paths and what-not, but that's all I can think of. I've not messed with the World Editor enough to know (it's not available for the Macintosh, and I've not tried installing all my Sims3 stuff on a BootCamp partition).

-- Happytime

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »
That all sounds about right to me. It's too bad they granted us the power, but didn't go the extra steps to make it really useful for us.

I'm still hoping someone will come up with a workaround to make paths or something.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 06:38:49 PM »
You would have thought they would let us be able to add paths.  ::)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Happytime

• Townie
  • "There you have it, there it is." ~Buckaroo Banzai
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 07:24:36 AM »
I did some internet snooping / YouTube video watching yesterday afternoon, and I'm pretty impressed with the walk-throughs I've seen on the World Builder. It looks like a pretty powerful (and correspondingly, difficult) tool to use. It's definitely not for the faint-of-heart, and it looks like it REALLY would take a serious amount of time to build an attractive town from scratch.

I applaud EA for even making a Beta version of it available, and then wag my finger at them scoldingly for failing to make a Mac-compatible version available.

It'd be interesting to use it, however, to tweak or mess a bit with the town's that EA's already shipping. I'll probably get a copy of Windows 7 and install it (just to play about) here in the next few months.

I'd be interesting to know how many users of the Forum actually have it installed.

-- Happytime

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 01:04:54 PM »
I have, I dabble in it here and there but have never got round to making a town I have liked enough to continue.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]