Author Topic: Can't place ceiling tiles  (Read 9065 times)

Chuckles_82

Can't place ceiling tiles
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:09:21 AM »
I've built a couple of buildings now that have this problem. There are floor tiles above it, but they are not showing in on particular strip underneath. The lot was completely flat to begin with, but I did try CFE to flatten the whole lot - every level - to try and fix it, but it didn't work. Does anyone have any ideas why it does this and how to fix it?

Left, ceiling. Right, no ceiling in a 1x4 strip.

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
Re: Can't place ceiling tiles
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 05:33:49 PM »
I don't really have a guess why it does this, but sometimes the game does weird things with the underside of flooring. My best guess for how to fix it though, is to go to the level above and delete those floor tiles above the effected area, then replace them. That has worked for me in the past.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:05:24 PM »
Also, if you have used CFE this can sometime happen (at least to me). See if you see any small white triangles in the walls around or above/below. If you see them, sledgehammer the wall and then "regret" the hammering. That should clear up the issue and let the grid appear.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »
In most cases there has been no CFE invovled. From what I could gather, it's caused by patterning the ceiling. I tried moving the lot elsewhere, but the problem persisted. I didn't have any of the triangle-type pieces, but quite a few sticky-outy flat ones that could only be seen from the underside. In the end I deleted the lot, started again and used the flatten lot tool before I started. I didn't have any problems. Until the next lot. It's really frustrating, because painting the ceiling really completes the look that I am going for :( Every time I exit game and come back, it's all ruined again.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
How unfortunate. Did you try the sledgehammer trick on the roofs? Maybe it works? *holds thubs*

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »
..... but quite a few sticky-outy flat ones that could only be seen from the underside.....

I get those quite a bit too. They seem to be kinda random when they show up, but almost always I have done some level changing/manicuring to the ground outside of the building in the areas where they show up after having built the building. I would like to blame it a bit on CFE too, but I use CFE in virtually every build I do and they don't always show up. However, as to the good news, once you have moved the camera into position to see them, you can delete them using the hammer tool.

Edit: Once I have deleted the ones that show with the hammer tool, I haven't had them come back for that lot. ***Knocks on wooden desk.***

Offline cjA

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
Some things you can try with 3 - if you have turned off the auto roofs, go under the roof and see if you can delete and extraneous "supports" that may appear from intersections. Yes, it can be destructive but always remember you have an undo there if something goes wrong! It's pretty much a given that if you find a triangular support inside the center of a hip roof it's probably one of those "intersecting" things that can go without harm - finding a triangular support at anything but the end of a gable roof is most times something that's possible to delete without any harm (and sometimes to more than just problems below).

Another thing I have noticed (since 2) is that when you put a lightning rod on the roof it can give you a gap in the floor below the roof (and thus the ceiling you're building under it). If you move something like this, it will allow you to apply the floor above and then the ceiling below that floor - move the object, fix the floor and put it back. Think of anything "extra" that may be added to a simple roof as a possible im-pediment (LOL).

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything