Author Topic: Solutions for Artist Home  (Read 3446 times)

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
Solutions for Artist Home
« on: August 21, 2010, 06:58:55 PM »
I love having glass houses for artists, but haven't worked out a way to balance the beautiful light with the need for wall space to display the art. I'm interested in what solutions you've found.

I just posted this lovely shot of TommyT's Modern Beach House.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Solutions for Artist Home
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 07:05:14 PM »
I suggest a Solid wall at the front with a Glass wall looking at the view?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »
I'm assuming most painter sims want to display lots and lots of art, and all that comes to my mind is mazes of parallel walls, probably in a basement. But it would be great to see how one could make a home with a practical balance of glass and walls, specifically for an artist.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 08:48:39 PM »
One idea that you could do is build a dedicated museum right on your lot, so you'd have the best of both worlds—you'd have your beautiful glass house and then maybe a multi-sided (like a pentagon), multi-leveled museum structure. Might be kind of cool—especially if you connect them via an underground walkway that's also adorned with art.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »
I love that idea! I also thought of another one.

I think I can put this picture in this post for illustrative purposes. I put this picture onto my computer desktop, and literally another solution was staring me right in the face. Although it's not possible to place paintings on fences such as the brick walls shown in the distance, it is possible to build walls outdoors and paint them with bricks or whatever, to resemble a taller fence. Pictures can then be placed around the perimeter of a property, or in concentric "fencing".

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 05:47:05 AM »
But that can take from the view? You could do that but have the rooms that need or want a view above in an upstairs?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 04:18:08 PM »
You're right. It would have to be constructed on the side of the lot, where it wouldn't affect the light or the view. Metro's idea is far more elegant.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

curlybennett

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 06:29:32 PM »
If you used the constrainfloorelevation cheat, you could lower the height of the walls to get a better view. But I don't know if the pictures would stick out over the top of the walls or not.

twrdrockfan

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 09:55:17 AM »
Tweaking the elevation of a floor tile with an object on it moves the floor, but not the object. Interestingly, this would allow for someone using both constrainfloorelevation and moveobjects to raise a floor to the height of a window frame, place an object on this raised tile edge, then lower the tile back to floor level and leave the object floating, but seemingly resting on the window sill.

As for the artist's conundrum, I would say it is going to depend on how big a room you are talking about making. As an example of what I might do:
11 tile wide room - 2 window tiles, v-shaped cut out into the room with a painting on each side of the v (2 tiles across total), 3 tiles of window, another v, last 2 tiles of window. Depth of the room from there will depend on furnishing and other available space.

Further use of the moveobjects and constrainfloorelevation cheats: multiple paintings on the same wall tile, at different heights. Lower the floor a satisfactory distance, place painting #1. Return the floor to its default height, or higher if necessary, place painting #2. Double dipping on wall space, as it were.

anything