Author Topic: Error Code 12 Possibly Related to Memories?  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Craz-4Jesus

• Nooboo
Error Code 12 Possibly Related to Memories?
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:01:19 PM »
I was thinking that since Error code 12 has to do with too much memory, maybe deleting some of the automatic memories in all of your sims's scrapbooks will help stop this. Has anyone tried or does anyone know if this will help even a little bit? Thanks  :D

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
Re: Error Code 12 Possibly Related to Memories?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:18:05 AM »
If memory serves, Error Code 12 was around well before Generations.

The easiest non-mod way to prevent it is to hit Save or Save As prior to exiting the game - when exiting the game, it'll ask if you want to save and quit, just exit, or cancel exit - hit Just Exit.

Also, this isn't really the best section to ask - memories came with Generations, not Seasons. This is something that should have gone into the Technical Help forum.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Error Code 12 Possibly Related to Memories?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 05:06:17 AM »
Memory and Memories are two different things. ;)

The Memories you are talking about came with Generations, they're things like Christopher Steel just caught a 20kg fish! or Agnes Crumplebottom just WooHoo'd for the first time. The Memory the game is talking about is what is called "System Memory" - which is something completely different. I'm not a hardware expert, so I can't explain what it is in any great depth, though, so here's a (very) simple analogy:

Your PC is a storage cabinet. You doing stuff is putting information into the cabinet. Your cabinet isn't infinitely large, it stops somewhere, and eventually you're going to hit it unless you remove stuff. When you use Word, Chrome, whatever, you don't use an awful lot of memory, so stuff goes in slowly and can be removed quickly (ie Word takes a few seconds to close). Sims, however, is a bit worse in this department. So you're pouring stuff into the cabinet, and not removing it quickly (ie, for me at least, Sims can take upwards of 5 minutes to close). You can see where this is going. Eventually, you try to cram something into the cabinet, but it can't fit - it's out of memory. So when you try to save, a message pops up telling you it can't.

Moral of the Analogy? Save lots, save often on a lower end PC. On a higher end PC, you don't have to save as much, but still should.