Author Topic: What does "The Sims 3" need to work properly?  (Read 3910 times)

Offline jersygirl15

• Townie
What does "The Sims 3" need to work properly?
« on: July 02, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »
I'm buying a new computer (LapTop) and i want to make sure that the Sims 3 will work properly on it
so can you tell me what are the requirements for The Sims 3 to work well with no problems and without being slow!?
I'm buying it tomorrow so please i need fast replies
Thanks  :)

Meurix

Re: What does "The Sims 3" need to work properly?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:55:38 AM »
(Laptop) Windows XP + SP2:
CPU: 2ghz Pentium4 Processor or Amd Athlon 2000+ Processor
RAM: 1.5 GB of RAM
GPU: 128mb Video Card (GeForce Go 6200 or Radeon 9600)

(Laptop) Windows Vista + SP1:
CPU: 2ghz Pentium4 Processor or Amd Athlon 2400+ Processor
RAM: 2 GB of RAM
GPU: 128mb Video Card (GeForce Go 6200 or Radeon 9600)

Those are the minimum system requirements.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jmz95

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:59:03 AM »
Straight from the back of the box:

OS - XP SP2/Vista SP1/Windows 7
CPU - For XP 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent/For Windows Vista and Windows 7 2.4 GHz P4 Processor or equivalent
RAM - For XP 1GB RAM/For Windows Vista and Windows 7 1.5 GB RAM (for NVIDIA ION computers the game requires 2 GB RAM)
Disk Drive - DVD Drive
Hard Drive - At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games
Video - 128 MB Video Card with Pixel Shader 2.0 support

This is for Windows obviously, as I assume that's what you'll be getting. Also, you shouldn't have to worry too much about it as most new computers are going to come with this stuff if not better specs as the standard.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like I was beat to it.  ;D
"Yes, I try to pick up strange babies, but only in the game.  Don't judge me." - Pam
Too late, Pam. Too late.

Archer0

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 04:00:37 PM »
Pretty open question.  :)  But here's my generalized answer!

Most news computers, whether desktop or laptop, typically have enough CPU and RAM for Sims 3.  The big stopping point especially for laptops is going to be the video.  Most video chipsets in laptops are not designed for this level of gaming.

Stay away from video chipsets from Intel or SiS.  You need to stick to Nvidia or ATI.  The model numbers get VERY confusing, so I'm not going to go into that here.

It really depends on what your level of expectation of what reasonable or fast is going to be, and what graphics level you want to run Sims3 in, but I'd say in general that any laptop capable of running Sims 3 smoothly is going to cost $1000 or more, on average.  Stores always run specials on holidays, so you might can find a good deal this weekend.  But that may be above your budget.

My best advice would be to report back with some links to laptops you are thinking about and people here could tell you yes or no.  And if you settle on a laptop, do a google search for Sims 3 + whatever video it has, to see if others report success or problems.  But if you are an impatient shopper or willing to trust a salesman's word alone, just realize you may be very disappointed.  :)

You may find the notebookcheck website either helpful or confusing.  :)  But, it lists many games including Sims3 and how well they would play on lots of  laptop video chipsets, fastest video at the top.  Go here.

Meurix

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 05:33:45 PM »
I strongly recommend you this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%23153;+i5+Processor+-+Blue/Black/9736955.p?id=1218164036446&skuId=9736955

TS3 should run perfectly even on the highest visual settings!
(If only I had one of those...  :'()

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 05:35:39 PM »
Meurix, your link does not work.

Meurix

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 08:10:56 PM »
I'm buying a new computer (LapTop) and i want to make sure that the Sims 3 will work properly on it
so can you tell me what are the requirements for The Sims 3 to work well with no problems and without being slow!?
I'm buying it tomorrow so please i need fast replies
Thanks  :)

If you have the box your game came in, I recommend you take it with you so the salesperson can look at the specifications and show you computers that will work.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Meurix

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 10:00:31 PM »
If you have the box your game came in, I recommend you take it with you so the salesperson can look at the specifications and show you computers that will work.

And then the nice salesperson will offer you the most expensive laptop!  ;D

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 10:22:58 PM »
And then the nice salesperson will offer you the most expensive laptop!  ;D

Of course he will, but that's when you have to be smart and firm, and buy only as much as you need to run the game. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 12:44:29 PM »
The video card and driver and maybe an additional cooling system is what can tie you up.  My new Compaq, (desktop), had all the requirements and then some but I couldn't play until I got a new NVIDIA video card, despite what the salesperson told my son who bought it for me, new driver and more cooling.  With Windows 7 in particular, Sims3 runs hot.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »
Almost all PC's have integrated video cards and you have to buy one.  I did so much comparison shopping at major stores and not even one had a stand alone video card and my card of choice is Nvidia.  I had a gaming computer built and had the Nvidia installed and then when I got it, I purchased the next highest video card and works great.  I do updates on it every once in a while.  So, unfortunately, salespeople will try and tell you anything you want to hear to get you to buy it and the other thing too about computers, most have very low wattage power supplies, so if you do get one and want to upgrade a video card, you more than likely haveto put in a larger power supply.  I got mine with a 500 watt, so I could upgrade without having to worry about that.  If anyone is interested in a place to have a computer built from online, I will be happy to give you the name.  It is a very trusted site and I bought mine there and my mom got hers there too.  You can build a computer step by step and it will tell you the price with each entry.  Just a thought.  I would never reccommend something if I did not trust it.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline jersygirl15

• Townie
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 10:38:52 PM »
Thanks guys for all the helpful advice. I bought the Lap-Top and I'm playing the Sims 3 on it now. :)
Thanks!  :D

anything