Author Topic: The Chains of Lyra: Chapter 3, "A House so New..." (7/15)  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
The Chains of Lyra: Chapter 3, "A House so New..." (7/15)
« on: July 13, 2016, 12:53:59 AM »

Confused? Where did the old thread go?

In short: A year of exclusively posting stories on WordPress got to me, and I kind of forgot that there are people on this forum who prefer reading stories that have their content posted to the forum. It'd be easy to convert my chapters to forum posts (if splitting them up for the image limit), but not very practical to do it on the old thread.

Sounds good? Good. I still post these on WordPress, and I love me some WordPress hits too. ;) WP has the advantage of larger text, should that be advantageous.

Why Read The Chains of Lyra?

• Have Trip's 2012/2013 dynasty attempts come back to haunt your memories!
  • Learn what game-agnostic people who still play earlier Sims games alongside the current one do!
  • Enjoy a slice of life/sci-fi romp that actually requires no prior reading!

Related Stories (broken images beware):

The Ironstar Immortals
Eight Avoided Graves
The Rust Life States Dynasty
Eight Cicadas (no link here, please PM)
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Chains of Lyra: Fresh Re-Posting (7/10)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 12:54:19 AM »
Chapters

1. "Vega and the Diplomat"
2. "Peers, Perhaps"
3. "A House so New, and a Room with a View": Parts One and Two

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 01:03:35 AM »
Chapter 1: "Vega and the Diplomat"

WordPress / Larger Text

“Come on, I only dragged you to the middle of nowhere to offer you a new job.”

Maybe under any other circumstances, Vega would have loved it there. She was dragged to an overgrown tangle of cattails, sitting on top of the bluffs of Windenburg. It reminded her of the quietest, wettest corners of Twinbrook, right down to the humidity bogging down her curly hair. She still missed that town. She would rather be an old hag at home rather than young again and at the mercy of a diplomat.

“I can’t believe I told you what happened,” said Vega. She looked towards the sea and sighed, and listened to the crackling, large bonfire that burned before her. It warmed her bones on a chill coastal night, and glowed red thanks to lithium chloride. “Now you’re gonna report me to the Court and it’ll all be downhill.”

“Vega, love, I’m programmed to only talk about the best in people,” her companion said. “Me and my sisters are the best sweet-talkers Antares could design...and we went over this before.”

“Forgive me for being realistic and panicking.”

“You’re half human. From what I’ve seen, it just comes with the territory.”

She swung her head back, towards the woman sitting on the stairs. There Janda sat, with a sultry face and her pale hands on her lap. In spite of her sharp and demonic looks, she claimed to be one of the nicest civil servants in the Antarean Empire.

Vega tapped her fingers together, trying to get a read on Janda. She could harp on about being designed all she wanted to, but Vega knew her own culture. They only acted like automatons with one job.

“I know you doubt me,” said Janda. “So...what are you reading?”

“You have a job that’s an hour away from Valentine City. When you get back to the Court, you’re gonna be nice and spin the deaths of two so-called immortal soldiers to seem like an accident,” Vega said. “If you ever get back to the Court.”

“Our closest outpost orbits Sirius B. I’ve made worse trips. Stop worrying about me! We mastered this interstellar thing ages ago. We’re not the same without it."

“Well, it was rough when I did it.” Vega muttered it under her breath.

“Just because you were named for that star doesn’t mean it’s an easy trip,” said Janda.

She soon joined Vega close by the fire, with her trademark jovial, toothy grin. “But! You’re right about that job on the East Coast. I’m pretty amazed with how they haven’t filled up their team yet.”

“Yeah, sounds exciting.” Vega sighed. “Fine. I’m not gonna dance around this. What is this job? All I got was something about one of the observatories.”

“That and some other structures. There’s been some talk of getting more forces out here. You and the ladies just need to get everything up and running to make our jobs easier.”

“Anyone I know?”

“I know you’re gonna worry about this, but we couldn’t gauge what side two of them were on. Buuuuut they claimed to be Twinbrook natives. I’d take that,” said Janda. “Whatever it was, we had to do some dimension-hopping to get them. We’re right where we need to be.”

“Valentine City is an ocean away.”

“Hey, it’s a short distance to me.”

Janda put her arm around Vega’s waist. “For what my word’s worth, no one could have predicted that.”

“You’re talking about…”

“Of course you know. And you don’t even need to be...to be Vega for that!” Janda paused with a delicate exhale. “I get it, you were only trying what you thought was right.”

“Yeah,” Vega said. “I thought it was right to try and speak to the dead.”

“And you opened up a can of worms and two measly people are dead. I’ve done it and destroyed whole plans and planets. We’re Antareans. We’re designed to ruin and withstand anything. Even the half-human ones like you can.”

“You're right. I didn't care about them like I should've,” said Vega. But even to her, it didn't make sense to. One was her son. The other was her grandson. It made sense only to not care about the human who perished before his time. She hated him anyways. “And I don’t have much care in my heart."

“Because you’re born to be a genius of the Sixth Court and not some touchy-feely diplomat like me, of course!”

“What if you’re just lying?” Vega asked her.

Janda smirked at her. “You, of all people, would get a read on that.”

“Shut up. It’s not a perfect power. It hurts to do it all the time.”

“I’d sacrifice one of my horns for mind-reading and clairvoyancy, don’t be silly.”

She started rubbing Vega’s back and leaned in a little closer. “Hey, if it means anything, I believe in you. And soon the rest of the Court will too.”

“Does that get me anything?” Vega asked. She pouted like a bratty child at her diplomat. With an arm around her, Vega nervously played with a strand of Janda’s long, crimson-red hair.

“I can pull some strings for it to, okay?” Janda’s voice dripped with honey, as if she was a kind human mother or big sister, and not a tall space demon. “The daughter of the glorious Imaz deserves a place by her side instead of doing drudge work in some failed colony. Get it? Drudge work? Because that was your dead girl's last name-”

"Yes, for God's sake, I get it! It's just not funny to me."

Janda’s face flushed as she continued, though. Well, as close as it could, given her lack of blood. The scaly freckles around her cheeks and eyes warmed up in color for a second. "I’d kill to live on this failure. It’s so beautiful, and humans are just so funny! Your mum picked well having you here.”

“Stop it! There’s nothing left I love on the Earth anyways.” Vega detached herself from Janda’s hold. Her usual deep voice switched to a broken whine. “I’m not made for this place. I didn’t even cry when my own best friend died.”

“It’s not gonna hinder you now,” said Janda. “I bet these ladies will feel the same way, love.”

“Have you met them? I can’t trust you if you’re just assuming.”

“I’ve met one of their recruiters, and she’s a fine lady. Diplomat for the orbiting bodies of Sulafat.”

“So she’s a nobody.”

“I’d never say it to her face,” said Janda. “Not everyone has the privilege of being chosen by your mother. So you and I...we’re the luckiest gals stuck on Earth right now.”

“And you’re gonna go back to Sirius and leave me stranded with-”

“Three of your peers!”

Vega stooped into a defeated shrug. “So I just have to believe you that somehow there are three more brilliant daughters of Antarean immortals who are out of a job.”

“That seems to be exactly it,” Janda said. Her smile became more timid. “But none of them can beat our Vega, now can they?”

“No.”

The horizon started to become blue again. The rays of the morning sun had yet to shine bright, but they couldn’t be far from Windenburg either. One lone sailboat started its journey around the bay.

“Looks like we lost track of time,” Janda said. “I’m off. There’s an active warp pad just a few yards from here, over to your right-”

Vega’s uncomfortable frowning turned into a scrunched-up scowl. “I know where the warps are, Janda,” she said, in a snarling tone. “Just get yourself back to Sirius. It’s bad enough that I spent a whole night with you.”

Janda still waved good-bye as Vega stormed off. “Good luck! Don’t let the past get you down!”

The warp pad was nestled in a bramble of grasses and shrubbery. It took Vega forever to find the controls underneath all the leaves, but she found the remote in a hidden slot.

“This better be the same model,” she muttered, as she tried out key combinations. A lot of time had passed while she was stuck in Twinbrook and leaving the warp system alone, and who knew who was leaving her in the dark? For all she knew, a different court had changed the warps from right under her big, hooked nose!

But the third try yielded a positive result. Vega was ready to go through the hole to the nearest warp pad to Valentine City, until she noticed one tiny problem.

A human.

He seemed more than ordinary, especially for a hip young city like Windenburg. He wore a clean vest and had his long hair in a bun. And he was about to unzip his pants to take a whiz in one of the bushes.

Was it close enough to short out her warp pad? Antareans tested for water damage, but never for that.

“Oh, you asked for it.”

She crossed her arms across her chest and took a deep, controlled breath. Whatever could hurt his brain would hurt Vega’s a little too.

“No trauma, just confusion,” she said to herself.

Vega opened her eyes and clasped her hands together. “That oughta do it.” The curious human man started to get weak on his feet. He closed his eyes and groaned as if being flooded by a migraine. Which was close to the truth.

The sun started to rise a little more once Vega got the warp pad set up again. And with a few commands, she was able to pinpoint the location of the closest warp to Valentine City too. It was in the Empire State and just outside of the city of Newcrest. Surely Janda could have been that specific. Who cared about Valentine City? Vega didn’t at all.

As for that human man, he fell to the ground and writhed around in agony. Vega didn’t care about him either. She just scrambled the signals in his brain, and he would be fine by noontime.

After all, he wasn’t a perfect daughter of Antares. But in Vega’s mind, there was only one.

A/N: Hello guys, and welcome to The Chains of Lyra!

While I do have a “Characters” page up that describes a lot of this stuff, Vega was originally a character from an older story of mine, The Ironstar Immortals. It was a TS3 Immortal Dynasty that I failed, albeit not for anyone’s death. But between that and switching her species and lore from “void demon” to “space demon”, I change what I want to. Ideas evolve after 3+ years.

But I hope to provide enough context for her and any other returning characters, so that the extra reading won’t be mandatory for anything more than an optional history lesson.

Also, Janda was supposed to be elegant and reserved until I forgot to wipe her buffs/emotions, so she had that goofy smile and I didn’t feel like waiting for another nighttime to shoot something else. But in the end, Vega needed a “yes-man” for her life and someone warm and happy like Janda would more realistically do that, instead of someone with grace.

And lithium-chloride flames are a lot brighter in color, but it was the closest match to the pink/red tone of this fire.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 01:19:07 AM »
Chapter 2: "Peers, Perhaps"

WordPress / Larger Text

Earth started out as a vacation stop for bored Antareans. But it didn't take long to become a battleground for the Second, Third, and Sixth Courts for ownership in the 20th and 21st centuries. Good-bye Siberia, good-bye England. In some realities, it’s a loss for everyone, but The Sixth Court won in this world. However, the colony was soon abandoned due to internal conflicts within the Court, leaving their property to the ravages of the Earth again.

But the Sixth Court wants their green playground back. And the toys they left in Newcrest need maintenance before the big arrival. Whenever that is.

---

Much like Windenburg, Newcrest had a stop along the Antarean warp system. Out of all the technology that had fallen out of use, it was a surprise that the warps were still up in some locations. In Newcrest, in the state of Terrebonne, on the outskirts of Tourmaline City, and so on.

It did beat her old home in Twinbrook, where no one won ownership and all of the Antarean tech was down.

She expected the world to change. She was stuck in an entirely different universe and an entirely different time too. Vega wanted to see the 24th century in a place she was used to, but...U-Rho-34, right? Whatever its number was, that universe was an okay alternative. Sure, everything glowed a little more. The grass looked unnaturally cultivated and green. But whatever. She saw Deutschland and at least that still stood strong.

Newcrest? Of course the big names of Antares first found the place looking much different. They likely vacationed in the woods. Came back to raid a pitiful Earth town. If it had grown in their absence...as if Vega expected it to stagnate. To its credit, Earth tended not to stagnate.

Even her Twinbrook, backwards as it was, progressed on for the century she was there.

However, Vega expected a warp pad that was still somewhat secluded. The one in Windenburg sat near ruins that were still abandoned and as ruined as ever. But once the blinding light cleared, Vega was...disheartened. She was in the middle of a park. It had monkey bars and benches. Skyscrapers towered above and filled the skyline. And even at that early hour, children chattered and humans mingled.

And three stood near the warp pad.

“Did you just come from Tourmaline City? Or do we have to set the location ourselves?”

Just two women and their child.

“You guys can’t even use the warps,” said Vega. And it was the logical conclusion. Antareans always designed their technology to be activated only by Antareans. It picked up on biochemistry. Biochemistry that humans couldn’t even dream of imitating in any century!

“Well, everyone here does.” The woman in the front said that.

It was her first line of defense to just scramble their brainwaves and run. Then Vega counted again.

“Ugh, no way can I do three of them. Fine. I’ll see which lowlife sold our tech out.”

Vega stormed off. In the distance, she heard the sound of the warp pad taking off. How did humans master that? She spent forever (ten minutes but still) programming the one in Windenburg to work.

And so began her first morning in a while as an honorary Earthling.

---

The long gown Vega wore was a perfect fit for mingling with the inner circle of the Sixth Court. Silky and black, and with a touch of gold around the waist. Add some sleeves, and it was not far from the everyday gown that Imaz wore while governing her colonies. From the real star of Vega to outposts in the Almeisan system, she had plenty of subordinates to look good for. While Ms. Vega Ironstar de Lyra on Earth had, from what she gathered, only three and some simpleton from Sulafat too.

So it was back to something like the fashion she wore in Twinbrook. Knee-length skirts, tunic tops, <i>pants</i>. But without any luggage of her own, Vega had to find the closest clothing shop instead.

All it took was a lazy stroll to find a local boutique. Soledad Fashion, it called itself. Two floors inside a narrow brownstone building, and selections for all ages and both sexes. The mannequins in the window dressed nice, if not quite to Vega’s taste. As a child of the Sixth Court, it was black or bust for her.

She walked through the door and expected humans. Just humans. Not a diplomat from Sulafat, and not...whatever that other one was.

The easiest way to tell the Courts apart was through dress and colors. Off-green skin, brown hair and clothing? She must have been from the First Court. Vega would have been angrier if the First Court was any sort of threat. Their colonies could be counted on one hand, maybe two if things had changed in the last century. And most of them barely mattered, like the Bodies of Sulafat.

The other one baffled Vega though. Ashy blue skin, like she was from the Fourth. A black cardigan, leggings, and a dog collar around her neck from Earth. Small horns like she was a foot soldier, at best. Black freckles sprinkled on her cheeks like...Christ, who had black ones?

“Are...are you part of this mission?” Vega asked them, after clearing her throat. “I know you’re not exactly peers, but where do you stand in your courts?”

The green one gave her a look. “I’m flattered that you’d like to work with me, but we’re just recruiters,” she said. “Oh, and Kayoluna. Tier II diplomat for the First Court.”

“I refuse to disclose that, and you can call me Bear,” said the other one. “You’re the other one from Twinbrook?”

“And why would you care?” Vega asked, sneering.

Bear turned around, her face strained. “Well, I have a long history there too. And, ya know, that’s where I found my girls.”

“So...wait, are you making me work with three other hybrids? I was told peers-

“You’re a hybrid, they’re hybrids. How much more equal can you get?” Bear asked.

Not all hybrids are created equally, Bear.

Vega composed herself instead. “What are their credentials?”

“Mine was a master thief,” said Kayo.

“One of mine was a simple athlete. The other was a mortician and a bit of a rogue who kept the rest of Antares away from our...her version of Earth,” Bear said.

“And no interstellar experience?” They both shook their heads no. “Wow. Wonderful.”

Kayo bit her lip and gestured towards the giant, floor-length mirror in the store. “Anyways, you probably should say hello to Cadmium. Just remember that she from the...uh, one of your oceans.”

“State of Clallam,” said Bear. “It was a town close to the Pacific. I think the Mayat II Spire was destroyed in her world, but it was right below that.”

Kayo’s green recruit from Clallam was easy to spot, in a sea of flesh-colored customers. True to her name, she wore a cadmium-red dress and painted her lips the same color. Her hair didn’t match, though, being a natural shade of ginger. And instead of being serious like a worthwhile Antarean on a mission, she made faces in the mirror.

Vega made a grouchy face towards the two recruiters. “You guys chose that tart?” she asked them.

“She’s not a dummy,” said Bear. “At least as far as I can tell.”

“She couldn’t even work a communicator,” Vega said, her voice in a mean whisper.

“She can,” said Kayo. “I asked her to when we met.”

Vega approached Cadmium, trying to mine her mind. She was only one person, after all, and Vega had given her own mind enough time to cool off since that morning.

Cadmium Jiang, better known by her first husband’s surname: Rust. Legal forms are under her second husband’s surname: Wolff. Really did have four children with a werewolf-

Cadmium gave her a worried look, and interrupted Vega’s mental digging. “Can you not?” she pleaded. “I’ll tell you what I want.”

“I thought it’d be less awkward,” said Vega. “What Court are you from?”

“I dunno,” said Cadmium. “Hey, if I could be welcomed somewhere back home, I’d love that. But I’m just...here and stuff.”

“Do you even know what you’re supposed to do?”

“Probably as much as you do.”

Vega rubbed her forehead in despair. “This whole thing is gonna be a disaster.”

“I have some extra cash on me,” said Cadmium. “I can at least get you out of that dress...that’s why you walked in here, right?”

“Yeah...I used to love sweaters.”

“Hey, I know about sweaters too!” Cadmium beamed ear-to-pointy-ear. “It’s your call in the end, but…”

“Yeah, dress me up.”

Vega latched onto a black cotton blouse instead. It had a gold trim around the collar, as a subtle way to still pledge her allegiance to the Sixth Court.

“You look great,” said Cadmium. “I tried the red one on but you have the chest to fill it out.”

“They’re a curse,” Vega said. “I guess I look as good as I ever did on Earth.” It wasn’t worth waxing poetic about how much she missed the habesha kemis robe from her father’s family. And where to start with the high fashion of the Sixth Court? But there was so much to complain about in Newcrest. Having to dress like an American again wasn’t high on the list.

“Where are the others?” Vega asked.

“Oh. Out getting coffee. We have all the stuff at home, but the café next to here does it even better,” said Cadmium. “I always find it too crowded there, but whatever.”

“And where’s home?”

“Other side of town. It’s a normal place. Really. We had to fumigate it and everything!”

“But it’s fine now?”

“Fine as anything...I guess.”

The four Antareans stepped outside, once Vega’s new clothes were paid for. She still kept her long gown, hoping that she would need it again.

Bear sniffed the air around her. “Aww yeah. I think there’s a Petsmart around here,” she said. “C’mon Kayo. I gotta show you liver treats! Best things on Earth!”

“Okay...what’s a liver?”

Meanwhile, Cadmium showed off her phone to Vega. She opened up Tinder and wanted some advice. Swipe left for friendly thirty year-old still stuck getting his Bachelor’s degree? Swipe right for mildly-handsome 40-something in the middle of a messy divorce?

“Shouldn’t we be trying to find the others? How long can it take to get coffee?” Vega asked.

“The lines there are terrible in the morning,” said Cadmium. “Again, it’s why it’s their thing. Not mine. I’d rather get bored and sweaty and awkward by myself.”

“What are they like, anyways?” Vega muttered, while Cadmium still pawed at her phone.

“Eh. Two Twinbrook girls. Apparently you know the type better than I do,” she said. “They’re both kinda tall and purple. Willow’s a big gym nut, and Sam’s a nice fat cook...I like ‘em.”

“So they’re kind-hearted bumpkins? Knew it,” said Vega. “How a mighty species can fall.”

“Humans or Antareans?” Cadmium chuckled a bit afterwards. And Vega just shrugged. “I always thought that Southerners were pretty cool...hey, guess who’s here!”

Cadmium looked up from her phone, and Vega turned around. There were the purple girls from Twinbrook, with their coffees.

Willow looked fine to Vega. She had a serious face and took great care of her body. Her bulging quads could be seen from next door. But the cheeky, cheerful smile from Sam immediately ticked Vega off. She even winked at her as she took a sip from her styrofoam cup.

“Great Imaz, help me,” Vega mumbled.

Sam greeted them with a fist-pump. “Al-right! We completed the team!” She tried extending a hand out to Vega. “Samira Racket, but you can just call me Sam if you’d like.”

Vega whipped her hand away. “Sorry, I don’t have any sanitizer on me yet,” she said. “And...the Racket family?” They were kind-of Vega’s neighbors in Twinbrook. She always made sure to keep a wide breadth between her and them. Vega might have gotten chummy with one of their henchmen, but Sinbad was a different kind of guy. He had no power anyways. Anyways, they ran a giant weapons-trafficking ring, and everyone in town knew, and no one wanted to get involved. What sort of Antarean beauty would fall into the arms of any Racket?

“I dunno what time you’ere from, but did you know Bill?” Samira asked. “Everyone used to say I look just like him.”

Sure, she only saw him on occasion, picking up groceries or pills. He dressed in loads of denim and, like Samira, was soft and doughy-looking. Except in Vega’s world, he was a lifelong unhappy bachelor and deserved only that. “We, as a species, can seduce anyone and your mum chose him?!”

Samira covered her mouth in shock. Her hooded grey eyes went wide for a second, but it was back to that smile.

“Well, we’re here to be better than our parents’ mistakes, right?” Samira asked.

“My mum didn’t make mistakes,” said Vega. She bit her tongue before admitting “But I did.”

“Pretty cool...have you met Willow yet?”

Willow gave them a reserved wave. “Willow Grave, ready for action,” she said. “Guess I’m the go-to girl for bodyguarding.”

“That...seems about right,” said Vega. “You look good.”

“Thanks, I try...maybe we should check out the house?” she asked. “It’s a pretty cool pad for a bunch of strapping young ladies.”

“Young?” Vega asked. “Is 139 young?”

“Oh...54,” said Willow.

“About 100,” said Cadmium.

“God, don’t even ask me,” said Samira, laughing. Vega stopped keeping awkwardness at bay and tapped Samira’s mind for one detail. It was her foremost thought, with age on the tip of everyone's tongues. 272.

Two-hundred and seventy-plus years old. Incredible.

Willow trailed behind Vega as they power-walked to the other side of town. Somehow Samira managed to lug herself into a fast run and zoomed past them with Cadmium.

“Don’t worry, it took me a while to get used to this strange new world too,” said Willow.

“I can’t believe her,” Vega grumbled. “Does that girl think she’s better than me?”

A/N: Alright, intros for the other ladies:

Willow Grave was originally the second generation in an old Immortal Dynasty, Eight Avoided Graves (check out dat pun). I don't think she had much of a personality, especially compared to everyone else. I wrote her as a little disgruntled, I guess? But I rarely write characters that aren't, so yeah. I'm trying to go for mellow/voice of reason here, but we'll see how this goes.

She was indeed an athlete (though a martial artist/acrobat). And actually the hardest of the four to recreate in TS4. She got a lot of her dad's strong features, and heck, her dad was a pretty difficult man to create in TS3.

Cadmium Jiang/Rust/Wolff (whatever) was the founder of a Life States Dynasty, creatively called The Rust Life States Dynasty (warning for potential broken images), though I initially created her for a for-fun neighborhood where she was the unhappy wife of a wealthy tech mogul. She was a comically disappointed slave to my whims in the dynasty, though I go for spirited wannabe-funny girl here.

Samira Racket is probably the most well-known of these ladies, as she's actually in another active story too, currently being the cute spare kid in Eight Cicadas...I guess this story is a pretty big spoiler for Samira's lifespan. However, she's the character here who also has the most of an existing personality to work off of. Even though she's about six so far in Cicadas, I know what she's supposed to be: upbeat, kind, but also a brash rule-breaker.

Bear and Kayo...if I say "oh, totally original characters and just for this story", you'll believe me, right? :P

And other notes!

The habesha kemis is the traditional garment for Habesha women of Ethiopia, Eritrea, and I guess the diaspora too. Vega is probably bothered by how they're all white garments that don't suit her alien-gothic ways, but she can't help who her dad was. :P

The way I name cities and places might be a little odd to someone who isn't used to Eight Cicadas, but I tend to be a little stylized with geographical names. It's a mixture of using nicknames (Valentine City from last chapter = Worcester, Massachusetts, as the city is somewhat known for being the birthplace of the first commercial Valentine's cards, to the point where there are hearts on the street signs), renaming states based on counties or other landmarks (Terrebonne, a.k.a. southern Louisiana/Mississippi, is named for the real-life Terrebonne Parish), or avoiding exonyms (so it's not Germany, it's Deutschland like it is in its native language).

I also sometimes rename EA-made towns because...they choose some really stupid names. Some people might say that Tourmaline City is no less stupid than Oasis Springs, but I prefer "x city" nomenclature to "x adjective y geographical feature" that EA loves (though I tend to keep names that either break the mould or are present in real-life locations. Windenburg and Twinbrook are all fine in my book).

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Chains of Lyra: Chapter 3, "A House so New..." (7/15)
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 05:57:39 PM »
Chapter 3: "A House so New, and a Room with a View", [PART ONE]

WordPress / Larger Text [BOTH PARTS]

"And welcome to Casa de Alien Grunt Work!”

Samira presented their house with flair. Wouldn’t 272 years of living jaded her a lot more? Half that did a number on Vega, after all.

“You know,” Vega said. “You know, it actually looks fine.”

It fit in with the rest of Newcrest, which wasn’t a bad thing. Three stories--or two and an attic--of Victorian-inspired house, with ample deck and garden space. Vega used to have to share much closer and plain quarters with her husband, son, and roommates.

“Yeah, I know it ain’t what an immortal living in Twinbrook is used to, but I already think of it as home,” said Samira. “How was your place?”

“Oh. Open floor plan,” said Vega. “Well, eventually we got to that.”

It took one glance from the porch to see what all four of them were living there for. Four remaining Antarean buildings, all within a block from the house.

They existed in her old world too, albeit not worth defending there. No Antareans wanted to return there after that disaster. But Vega had still heard of the abandoned buildings at the Klaiat Base in the Empire State. The Peace Gardens had survived the war, as well as the Experimental Gardens, the Embassy...

...and perhaps most importantly, the Illat Memorial Observatory.

They expected concrete plans to come in soon enough, through one of the communicators throughout the house. Those were the red, glowing, double-ended plummets that sat on tables and other surfaces. Each one led to a different line, and it was up to Vega and whoever else could work them to figure out where.

But in a twist, the house as a whole looked pretty snazzy.

And she couldn’t forget the best part. In a cramped kitchen, Vega found something that made up for the tight squeeze. A whole rack of tea bags! There even was an untouched box of Lady Grey, Vega’s...third favorite. Someone would have to place an order for plain Rooibos, and the Moroccan Mint box was empty.

One could almost say that Vega was tickled to be in that house. At least they had hot drinks, and the brilliant minds of Antares were always on call. <i>Always</i>. She envied those pure Antareans, who didn’t need to sleep. Meanwhile, she always was a poor leader because of the need for sleep. Six hours. But that was still enough to sleep through a meeting or an ambush.

Well, no wonder she ended up on Earth again. It was a tight vote, but no one re-appointed her as the governess of Almeisan-2. And it was all because of sleep!

Vega enjoyed her tea at the breakfast nook. It gave a lovely view out the window, perfect for people-watching. Granted, she enjoyed that much more in Twinbrook. Maybe because it didn’t take her long to know everyone there. However, Twinbrook didn’t offer the fun of watching confused humans try to break into The Embassy. The fence was easy to hop, but all the structures were otherwise impervious.

The house had other simple pleasures too. Although hunting down a lighter was tough, the fireplace in the parlor was already full of fresh logs. As the day grew a little darker and colder, a fire was welcome.

Not to mention that Vega could try out those leather couches.

She held out her hands to warm them. She soaked in the solitude. The other three were outside, doing almost the same exact thing. There was a fire-pit outside and a circle of folding chairs around it. Samira also grabbed some seitan sausages and bell peppers from the fridge for roasting, before Vega got her tea.

But even in the solitude she asked for, Vega got a little bored for a grand total of two-point-five seconds. She then turned her head around.

Upright pianos were so hard to come by those days. In a sea of grand pianos and electronic keyboards, was there room for them? But the previous owner must have gone on a long hunt for one. Vega didn’t think that any of her new housemates had it in them.

Gosh, it had been ages since she played piano on the regular. Sometimes she played it at parties in Twinbrook, but always had excuses not to as well. <i>Screwtape is sleeping in before that dinner shift. Samhain prefers to meditate in peace. Baby Sheila/Marco/Alhena/etc. needs to sleep.</i> But during those periods as a child on Earth staying with dad, he signed her up for piano lessons.

“Sonatina in F Major” came back to her easier than she expected. It was one of her favorites to play for her son, when he was a tot. While she wished that she better remembered one of the adapted solo pieces from Hylomina of the Fifth Court, what was wrong with Beethoven? Vega was alone and having actual fun until Bar 45.

“Finally, someone who can play that!”

“Doin’ good!”

“You’d love to meet my daughter.”

Oh great, the housemates were back. As if someone would ignore a sonata played from inside their own house. But didn’t Vega close all the windows? Didn’t the house have some sort of soundproofing? If it didn’t, may the All-Mother help Vega if the others brought anyone home.

“Are you saying that one of your werewolf kids could play a concerto?” Vega asked to Cadmium. It was her voice, and she was the only one who admitted to having children. Or had them readable on her mind.

“Yeah. It was kind of her job,” said Cadmium.

“I just didn’t want this nice piano going to waste,” said Samira. “Did you really just want your stuff to go unheard?”

“Yes! That’s exactly what I want!” Vega threw her head back as she groaned in disgust.

“You girls probably don’t even know Beethoven! Let alone the Fifth Court’s Royal Orchestra, or even Melhayana’s godawful Third Court Choir.” She then stormed off, pushing any of the ladies away if they were in her path.

Even while ascending the stairs, Vega still heard a “That’s rude, pretty sure Melhayana was my grandma” from Samira.

And a “Well, we saved the attic for you” from Willow.

She grumbled to herself as she climbed both sets of stairs. “Isn’t this perfect? Banished to the attic.” She took a break to check in one of the second floor bedrooms. Lots of rusty red, so it was likely Cadmium’s, and it struggled to fit a double bed and a dresser.

“I’m being downgraded from that. How great.”

But as it turned out, there was no downgrade to be found.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »
Chapter 3: "A House so New, and a Room with a View", [PART TWO]

The attic, while not spacious, might have been one of the best rooms in the house. It had clean hardwood floors and new sepia-colored wallpaper. Vega could sleep in a comfortable bed. She could read whatever was stored on the a-frame bookshelf. She could meditate, or indulge in the one good thing the Earth offered.

While it was an older model, she had a telescope! Compared to the one at the Observatory, it was nothing. But Vega wouldn’t touch that one without permission. The one in the attic pointed out the lone window, and all it needed was for Vega to focus it for her own eyes. She got an up-close look at some oak leaves and waited for nightfall. If she was lucky, she might even get to see her real home in the heavens.

The night felt like it was taking a better turn. Vega went back downstairs to grab dinner, and they met her with...forgiveness. Even a smiling Samira saying “I don’t eat meat and the others don’t, but I prepped some chicken sausages ‘cause I don’t know what you like.”

Vega had to return that kindness a little. “The seitan ones are fine.”

They settled on plans for the night. Willow was to guard the Observatory and keep an eye on the Experimental Gardens. The latter’s remaining plants were hardy, and the seed stores were kept where no human could go. Humans couldn’t work any of the Observatory’s tech, but there were so many horror stories of outsiders breaking Antarean machines. And humans were some of the worst in that regard.

Samira wanted to take a more reluctant Cadmium out to the warp pad, for a night in Windenburg. It had dancing for Samira, and cute Deutsche guys for Cadmium, which won her over in the end.

And so, Vega had the house to herself, and complete solace in her attic. Even with Newcrest's light pollution, she still had a beautiful view. The most important stars and planets shone bright through her telescope.

She focused on Altair when her concentration was interrupted.

“Hey, you mind if we talk for a bit?” It was Willow, the only other housemate still in the United States that night.

“Isn’t there an observatory that could be getting vandalized right now?” Vega asked, all quiet and deadpan as she tried to find her place in the sky again.

“Well, I was over there, but...okay, it’s something kinda personal,” said Willow. “And please don’t take this the wrong way.”

“I’m open.”

“You are? I thought you were...well...forced into this.”

Vega gave Willow a smile, something she was always selective with. “I chose this. I could have said no to my recruiter. I’m just…adjusting.”

“That’s it?”

“It’s all I can really do to make sense of it.”

“Oh...okay then.”

“So what’s bothering you?”

“I don’t wanna say it,” said Willow. “Not anymore.”

“We’re alone,” said Vega. “Look, I’ll do my best to take this in the best way I can. You’re better than the others. Certainly better than Cadmium and the spawn of the wretched Third Court.”

“Yeah...it’s about you.”

She took a deep breath, and exhaled loud and slowly.

“Okay,” Vega said. “What is it, about me?”

Willow took a step back. Her face cringed and contorted with each word she said. “So, uh, this is gonna get personal. Well...I spent my whole life around my dad, and...uh, you’re as worrying as him.”

She hesitated less with telling the story. Maybe it was how Vega kept an explosion of emotion inside that time. Even if it baffled her how a weightlifter like Willow felt threatened by a short, un-athletic Vega.

Willow didn’t hesitate as Vega mined her head for further details and accompanying visuals. It helped, as she was brief with what she said.

“Dad was a bit of a nervous wreck ever since I was a kid, pretty much.” Dad was named Journeyman. His looks pointed to no particular court, and he was an obvious hybrid. Vega’s best guess was the Fourth. It made him the child of...a “frenemy” on a huge political scale. Willow’s mum tickled Vega much more. She was close with dear Julienne in her world too, in spite of her best friend and mild crush being Jules’ fiancé. And boy did she downgrade with Journeyman!

“So you had to deal with that?” Vega asked her. Willow nodded.

“All my life,” she said. “I didn’t get a break from him...I didn’t want to. He’s my dad.”

“Like, he was really high-strung, belligerent...he tested me.”

“But then I grew up and realized that he was just...ruined by everything he’s seen.”

Willow wasn’t even looking at Vega, at the end of it. But she did end up conjuring up the power to kick Vega out of her head. “So...I worry that the same’s happened to you. You lived through even more than he did, right?”

“Like, in terms of years? Probably.”

“How many people did you watch die?”

“More than someone should.”

“In Twinbrook, or?”

“...This conversation is over.”

“Fine. I’ll be at the Observatory ‘til dawn...barring the worst,” said Willow. “Stay safe.”

“You too, you too.”

Maybe she could have gotten a number for comparison, if Journeyman himself was there to read. But Vega was confident in that she had the most tragedy to brag about. From casualties in Antarean wars to the humans who made a mistake and latched on to her. Granted, her humans tended to die old and at home, but she couldn’t help but watch all of them.

And she was hardly the mourning type, not matter how many people expected it of her. Vega would visit the urns she kept all the time, but recounted only what made her angry. Sheila wanted to ruin my poor son’s life and Clarissa and Rebecca were the in-laws from Hell. Eva and Wei never wanted anything to do with Antarean life and I kind of wish I was nicer to Harwood. He was the only one who seemed to understand.

She took to her telescope again, but turned it on its pivot. It pointed not at the sky, but just a tenth of a mile down the road, at the Observatory.

Willow stood there stoic, poised for an attack. And for a while, she was as alone as Vega, save for the company of loud crickets and frogs.

But the world wasn’t about to give Willow a boring night.

It just gave her a boring human.

A/N: Note to self for Eight Cicadas, Samira becomes a vegetarian later in her life.

Mmm, seitan sausages! For all I know, they're not good for roasting over a fire.

A plummet is also what's known as a plumb bob, and yeah, it's the inspo for the diamond above sims' heads. Most plummets aren't double-ended, at least from my search, hence the specification.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 07:19:01 PM »
I want to say how much I am enjoying this story. The characters are so complex and the backstory so rich that I'm completely drawn in. I look forward to more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything